Author Topic: Tricks to hand the non-even string interval G->B  (Read 157 times)

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 31
Tricks to hand the non-even string interval G->B
« on: October 14, 2019, 10:07:05 pm »
Engraining scale and interval patterns is something I'm working on right now on bass and guitar, after years of never really learning to learn the fretboard beyond the bottom 2 strings.

I STILL keep being thrown by the fact the B string is only 3rd up from G not a 4th. I can't get my finger muscle memory to take this into account and I can't "see" the notes on the top two strings like I can the bottom 4.
And since I'm a little OCD, the lack of neatness just annoys me :)

Is this just a case of doing the scales across the whole neck over and over until the jarring sensation goes away, or can anyone offer some neat tricks/theoretical tips how to internalise this rather than just "move up a fret on B from where it 'should' be"?

Offline simon3142

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
Re: Tricks to hand the non-even string interval G->B
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 10:24:02 am »
I am not sure that there is a trick to this.
Learning scale patterns takes care of it automatically if you are playing a particular scale.

I think learning the dots is useful e.g. the notes on the 5th fret are ADGCEA from low to high. You can invent a mnemonic to help. Knowing the notes at every fret where there is a dot is useful.

Then there is learning the notes on all the strings, not just the bottom two which is a good start. Justin has material about this and one of the Tammy lessons has it. This is something to aim for once you are really confident about the bottom two strings.
Gear: Aparicio AA30, Ibanez AS103, Simon&Patrick Woodland Mini Jumbo, Cube X20
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/simon3142

Get The Forum As A Mobile App