Author Topic: Aerosmith - Walk This Way  (Read 362 times)

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
Aerosmith - Walk This Way
« on: October 10, 2019, 08:58:05 am »
Hi guys,

I just finished recording a new cover. This time I went from some old-school rock'n'roll with Aerosmiths "Walk This Way". Hope you'll enjoy my version of this classic tune ;)

I used my Marshall amp for all parts of this track, and for most of the song I was playing Telecaster - except for the last solo part where I wanted a fatter tone, along the lines of a neck pickup on a Les Paul.. there I used my Reflex guitar.

https://soundcloud.com/kasper-fauerby/aerosmith-walk-this-way-cover

Take care!

Kasper

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
Re: Aerosmith - Walk This Way
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 10:44:10 am »
Hey Kasper, it blows my mind how you manage to emulate these songs; your technical ability, the knowledge to replicate a given sound, everything! A true master of mimicry. I listen back to the original and again to your cover and I really struggle to find any difference between the two. For me as a layman, you absolutely nail it down to those finest details.

It's just a blast listening to your stuff over on SC. I particularly like all the 80's rock stuff you've knocked out. Always a pleasure listening to your guitar covers dude.
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 6

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 01:11:05 pm »
I don't post as much these days, but when I do... it's because Kasper has put out another awesome cover.

Love it!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 01:27:32 pm »
Hey, Kasper, good to hear from you.

I think Pilgrim said it all. As usual I am astounded by your ability to play just like the original.  A most enjoyable listen.

From a learning perspective, actually more curiosity in my case, I'd appreciate some more detailed production notes as to how you achieved the various tones heard on this.  I say that I'm curious since I am a long way from getting serious about exploring tone and the electric guitar.  But maybe others might find some more detailed information helpful.

PS How is the work on some more Queen going ... loved the video you shot of that sample from Bohemian Rhapsody ... hint hint ... more videos please.  Actually, to be honest, I find watching you play over a backing track more interesting than listening to the full covers.  Not that I am in any position to learn and try to apply what I see but still love watching you play.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 01:47:33 pm »
Hi Kasper,
I saw the notice for this come in and figured it had to be you! Wow, I was not disappointed. Fantastic job you did all around. I am pretty sure you have a backing track going here? Either way your lead guitar work smokes and is most enjoyable. I took this one in 3 times and it got better each pass!

"Old school", ha, matches my age, so this hit the spot and was a great morning wake up call! Good to see you on and posting! Missed your fine 6 string work. Keep bending that Ax!

All my best to your and yours as you rock on down the road!
:-)
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 03:54:06 pm »
Thanks for the comments!

@David: Queen stuff - yeah, I was planning to do some more Brian May inspired music... but then I got side tracked with a bunch of stuff, this one being one of them :) Still planning to revisit Queen or Brian May in the future.
With regards to the tones, sure I can post some more details on that later!

Cheers,
Kasper

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 03:54:50 pm »
Awesome, sounded pretty spot on to me.  Easy to confuse this for the original.

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Offline brianlarsen

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 09:07:47 am »
Hej Kasper,

I just listened to this again and realised I hadn't commented the first time  :(
Smokin' lead guitar here and sounds like a lot of effort gone into recreating the sound.
(My only quibble would be that you didn't go for the Steven Tyler singing to top it off! :P)
Vibes

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 09:39:00 am »
Thanks for the comments!

@David: Queen stuff - yeah, I was planning to do some more Brian May inspired music... but then I got side tracked with a bunch of stuff, this one being one of them :) Still planning to revisit Queen or Brian May in the future.
With regards to the tones, sure I can post some more details on that later!

Cheers,
Kasper

Thanks Kasper. Always i interesting to read about how you make the magic.

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 02:04:18 pm »
That was great, amazing solo playing at the end.

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 03:14:26 pm »
another excellent one, Kasper! I really enjoyed that.
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 04:18:22 pm »
Thanks a lot Endu, Brian, Jono and Phx! Brian, you wouldn't want to hear me trying to sing that track! I actually found the isolated vocal track from the original on YouTube and briefly considered putting that in... but that would probably be wierd AND violate a million copyright laws at the same time ;) It *is* a song that would benefit strongly from good vocals though, I agree on that.

@David (and who else might be interested in nerding out on tones)

Often when I work on a song like this I'll decide on some gear that I *want* to use, more than always only reaching for the most optimal or logical stuff. That probably sounds a bit stupid, but I think you can get good tones from most gear and it's a fun way for me to explore all my gear.

In this particular case I wanted to use my Telecaster a lot for a couple of reasons; I had been neglecting it a bit, I wanted to explore some more sharp/twangy tones from a Tele bridge pickup.. and I have been using it for my practice lately and really enjoy playing it. On the unison bends + outro solo I knew I wanted a big contrast to the brighter Telecaster solos, so I was quite sure I wanted to use the neck humbucker on my Reflex guitar for that (a Les Paul style instrument).

For the amp I wanted to use my new Marshall Studio Vintage, which also fits the track well and is probably fairly similar to what Aerosmith would have used on the original. I ran the Marshall with a fairly low gain, but then pushed its front-end a bit with different boost/overdrive pedals.

For the rhythm parts I could clearly hear (at least) two different parts on the original, and to make that work I tend to pan the parts left/right.. but also make sure the tones are different as well. Throughout the track I have a bright part, played on bridge pickup of the Tele, panned left. That's the most "busy" part.. for example in the verses it's playing that funky riff with a whole bunch of notes. To contract that, I have a part on the right side which is played on the neck pickup of the Tele... and playing simplified versions of the riffs. I like how the "woody" tone of the neck PU blends with the sharp bridge PU tone.

In the choruses I wanted even more going on, so I have those signature "chord stabs" going on, panned near the middle... and veeery low in the mix I actually have a little melody figure going on that mirrors what the bass is playing.

Regarding the two short solos that comes after the two choruses I wanted them "snappy", so I used the Tele bridge here as well with a plate reverb and a little bit of delay. The little solo/melody I play over the 3rd verse is basically the same tone, but with the volume rolled down to 2-3 on the guitar to reduce the gain.

The outro solo is, as I mentioned, a neck humbucker pickup. I also changed the delay to a tape slapback delay and upped the reverb a bit.

In the DAW I don't have a lot going on besides the panning and setting volumes as best I could. I do some final EQ shaping, but generally like to dial in and record my amp + pedals as they sound by themselves. I do record using impulse responses, and lately I'm always using a (virtual) 4x12" cabinet with Celestion Greenbacks.

If anyone would like more details I can render out the guitar tracks outside the mix, that way it's easy to hear what's going on.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 04:27:26 pm »
Kasper,
So good of you as always and alway good to hear you share on your tones. Tone junkies unite and take note, this is good stuff. You be watching out there Kasper or you will earn the crown of Tone Professor on this board! Well, I think you already have. Great stuff and thanks! I and I am sure, many others will appreciate it!

Keep rocking and someday maybe we can toast to great tones together!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 04:47:19 pm »
I'll just try and see if it works to share the isolated stuff via Google Drive....
Then you should easily be able to hear what I was talking about in the post above ;)

Isolated Rhythm guitars (all combined):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11R9vI9wPW3OhizDzfTdsMT9xjn9yKT7x

Telecaster Solos:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uNHbhK6i5pJrEb9kYWCkQ-lb-SaF-xn3

Outro Solo:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w77TSHaSS7_-9qCbocfZiPwEt7Iq5rKa

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 437
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 07:36:15 pm »
Can't believe I haven't commented on this yet.
Kasper - you make me happy. Such great sounds and played with great panache.
:)  8)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App