Author Topic: Marshall amp dilemma  (Read 252 times)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
Marshall amp dilemma
« on: October 10, 2019, 06:03:04 am »
Hey all,

I'll get straight to the point on this one! I played with a band in front of people and I have an insatiable G.A.S. It began with the amp that the lead guitarist used. He had a Marshall valve state 2000 AVT 50. He had got it for $120 on Facebook marketplace. He told me that it was a tube amp and it sounded fantastic! So I started my hunt on facebook and found me a 100 dollar deal on the same guitar. I do have to travel 3 and a half hours, 2 states away to get it though.

At the same time, I thought I'd check out a local guitar center for some used tube amps and found that they did have the same amp. However, it turned out it was more like a hybrid with just a tube preamp. So they let me check out the DSL40CR and my god was it good! I took my strat along and it was a match made in heaven. But it was too expensive for my budget so I said I'll think about it before filling my cart with a bunch of cool pedals, mic, picks and other accessories. On the way out, the guy at the store also asked me to check out the Origin 50c considering how I was tending to produce a lot of Jimi Hendrix inspired noise. I did check out a lot of youtube videos and I love them both.

The thing is my guitar gear budget is not a true problem now. That statement arises from the fact that I'm trying to get married next year and I'm saving up for a ring. However, guitar center offers a $21/month financing option on those amps for 36 months. The question now is should I go for the Valvestate 2000 or the DSL40CR or the Origin? With my ears for some Jimi sounds I'm inclined towards the Origin 50C. However, the other two are versatile. If anyone had tried out these amps or went through reviews, I'd really like to know opinions. There's also the chance that used amp bought on facebook marketplace may turn out to be risky. Especially since I have to do the long drive as well. Help me get that bigger sound that I want for my live adventures! Thanks in advance. :)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
Re: Marshall amp dilemma
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 06:33:34 am »
I can't comment on which is best, however...

Bear in mind that most of the amp tone will be coming from the pre-amp valves unless you are able to crank the amp and run the power amp near the limit.

Ask yourself whether you can really run a 40W tube amp at near full power in any practical situations. If not, the hybrid might be just as good (or you may need a load box).

Also, if you are planning on using it for gigging, check the weight of the various amps. Lugging a heavy tube amp up and down stairs gets old quite quickly.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 06:43:48 am »
I can't comment on which is best, however...

Bear in mind that most of the amp tone will be coming from the pre-amp valves unless you are able to crank the amp and run the power amp near the limit.

Ask yourself whether you can really run a 40W tube amp at near full power in any practical situations. If not, the hybrid might be just as good (or you may need a load box).

Also, if you are planning on using it for gigging, check the weight of the various amps. Lugging a heavy tube amp up and down stairs gets old quite quickly.

Cheers,

Keith

Thank you for taking the time to reply Keith. Both the DSL40CR and the Origin 50C have switchable output levels. The low output is at 10W approximately. However, I understand what you say about the practicality. I'm considering this switch only because it looks like I'll be gigging and jamming a lot right now.

Good advice on the weight too. I figured it could get tiring at some point in time. I'll make sure I check them out. Thank you once again! :)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 437
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 07:38:52 am »
Valvestates are notoriously unreliable in the long run - so I believe.
And as you found - after your initial exposure, they are actually inferior in tone to other Marshall amps - that is before you branch out to other makes.
Surely someone will come along soon screaming the word Katana at you.
50w is giggable for sure.
100w more so and has more versatility.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 437
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 07:47:26 am »
I gigged with a 50w Peavey Valveking - it was great. They do a 100w 2x12" as well.
Many YouTube vids of them are kids playing noise so search for Andrew Wasson's review.

If you want loud, but compact ...
Orange Tiny Terror
ZT Lunchbox

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 09:18:23 am »
You could also consider the Marshall Origin 20C, which is cheaper than the 50C.

A 20W tube amp is *plenty* loud to play gigs with... if anything it'll sound a bit sweeter because you can turn it up more. Marshalls like their master volume at least halfway up before they sound nice and full.

Main drawback of the 20C is (possibly) that it comes with a 10" speaker where the 50C has a 12" speaker.
I just always prefer the sound of 12", but I haven't A/B these particular amps to see how big a difference there really is in tone.

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 03:41:31 pm »
I'd go with either the DSL or the Origin: whichever one suits your taste, more.

FWIW, I own a DSL40C. It's a good amp. I especially enjoy the classic gain channel.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 05:06:43 pm »
Valvestates are notoriously unreliable in the long run - so I believe.
And as you found - after your initial exposure, they are actually inferior in tone to other Marshall amps - that is before you branch out to other makes.
Surely someone will come along soon screaming the word Katana at you.
50w is giggable for sure.
100w more so and has more versatility.

I had my eye on the katana 50 ever since Justin did a review actually. I love the effects it offers and it’s versatility. I think it’s also easy to plug into the computer? Pretty neat and is still on my wishlist. But currently I want that vintage British sounds and to be able to use pedals since that’ll be the sound the band is going for.

I found an old Vox but I’m more of a Marshall enthusiast! I saw Andrew Wassons review of the Peavey valveking 50. It’s very neat too! Is it bad to buy/own many amps? ;)

You could also consider the Marshall Origin 20C, which is cheaper than the 50C.

A 20W tube amp is *plenty* loud to play gigs with... if anything it'll sound a bit sweeter because you can turn it up more. Marshalls like their master volume at least halfway up before they sound nice and full.

Main drawback of the 20C is (possibly) that it comes with a 10" speaker where the 50C has a 12" speaker.
I just always prefer the sound of 12", but I haven't A/B these particular amps to see how big a difference there really is in tone.

The guy at the guitar center said the same thing. That the 20 is plenty.

Could you please expand on why the sound of 12” would be better? Is it cuz there is more head room? I was thinking if this is gonna be for gigging, might as well get the 50. I’m getting it on credit too so I wanna get the maximum out of it. What do you think?

I'd go with either the DSL or the Origin: whichever one suits your taste, more.

FWIW, I own a DSL40C. It's a good amp. I especially enjoy the classic gain channel.

The DSL40CR was the one I tried out at the store and it was great! It had both the vintage and the modern sound and doesn’t really need pedals. It’s extremely tempting. The origin on the other hand is more on the cleaner side unless you use pedals. Pedals are something I’ve just gotten into and want to explore. That’s why at the end of the day I was more inclined towards the origin. It’s just about whether I need versatility or the ability to play cleaner vintage sounds as well. Maybe I should just go to the store and try out the origin as well and then decide. Or just get either of the two that’s available on the day! Lol

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 05:08:32 pm »
Thank you all for the great tips and advice on what to look for while buying amps and the variety of choices you’ve given. It’s great to have this knowledge before I go next time and I truly appreciate this community for helping me out! :)

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 06:40:44 pm »
I had my eye on the katana 50 ever since Justin did a review actually. I love the effects it offers and it’s versatility. I think it’s also easy to plug into the computer?
I have a Katana 100/2x12. Also a good amp. Doesn't sound quite like my tube amps, but it's got solid tones and lots of nifty features. And yes, very simple to connect to a computer/iPad/etc.

The guy at the guitar center said the same thing. That the 20 is plenty.
Agree. However, note that you if you want a 12" speaker and end up with a 40W, you can probably put it in 20W mode if you want to crank up the master volume. I do that with my DSL40 at home, sometimes.

Could you please expand on why the sound of 12” would be better?
I can't comment on the physics behind it, but I know that I usually prefer the sound of a 12" speaker. Not always, but usually. It usually sounds fuller, to me. But there are so many variables with an electric guitar rig (amp, speaker, enclosure, even cables) that it makes it difficult to draw meaningful general conclusions.

The DSL40CR was the one I tried out at the store and it was great! It had both the vintage and the modern sound and doesn’t really need pedals. It’s extremely tempting. The origin on the other hand is more on the cleaner side unless you use pedals. Pedals are something I’ve just gotten into and want to explore. That’s why at the end of the day I was more inclined towards the origin. It’s just about whether I need versatility or the ability to play cleaner vintage sounds as well. Maybe I should just go to the store and try out the origin as well and then decide. Or just get either of the two that’s available on the day! Lol
FWIW, the DSL40 has a clean channel, as well as the two gain channels. Cranking the volume up on the clean channel gives you some breakup at higher levels, which you can boost with a pedal. I've got some good AC/DC type tones this way. But I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you should just go to the store and try them out to see which you prefer.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 437
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 07:25:30 am »
A 12" speaker 'shifts more air'.

In large rooms or open air settings it just has more presence.

For 20 watt and a 12" speaker there's a Blackstar HT2- mkii

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhy_MJeOES0

or HT Studio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVqz3bJh9-E

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 10:29:28 am »
If you look at Anderson's 'Sound like ............ without breaking the bank' when they want a good rock tone their go to is a DSL, it's a superb amp for what it costs, if it were me I would probably look at a DSL 20 head and mate it with either a 1x12 or 2x12 speaker cab, a little hint here, you can get decent speaker cabs from Thomann.de, maybe Harley Benton? or you could get a main brand one if your budget stretches to it.
https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_1x12_guitar_cabinets.html  the vintage one is what I would suggest.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 11:30:43 am »
I have the Harley Benton 1x12 Vintage and, if you go the way of a head and cabinet, I can highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Keith

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App