Author Topic: 2019 Cover #35 (Granit och morän)  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019 Cover #35 (Granit och morän)
« on: October 09, 2019, 08:36:24 pm »
A swedish song this week, by singer-songwriter-guitarist Lasse Winnerbäck. The first half of the song is played fingerstyle and the second half I strum with a pick.

Fingerstyle playing is pretty sloppy, need more work. I touch a lot of unwanted strings with my right hand, making the playing not sound as clean as I would like. Its a little bit to fast, works better if I play slower. Need to slow it down and build up speed slowly.

The transition from fingerstyle to strumming is not so smooth, really difficult to pick up the pick fast and start strumming.

I think I got a pretty good start on how to play this song, but need to clean it up. Maybe 1 000 more playthroughs it will sound great  :)

https://youtu.be/VhlwaQNbQKU
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
2019 Cover #35 (Granit och morän)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 02:46:49 am »
Johan, what a beautiful song. I thought the finger style was impressive. The transition to the pick was a bit cumbersome but didn’t really take away from your overall performance. You might try the strumming with your fingertips to alleviate that problem.
I just listened to Lars’ original of this tune.  Adding a little reverb/delay to your guitar and voice would elevate this. Overall a very enjoyable listen and I would think a candidate for a local open mic night.  Well done.  Wow, only 12 more to ring the . What an accomplishment you are closing in on. Hat’s off to you.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: 2019 Cover #35 (Granit och morän)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 07:27:13 am »
Johan,

A lovely performance, lot of feeling coming through here and that is without me knowing what the lyrics meant.

I know we all aim high and serve as our most demanding critics, but I would not say your finger-picking was "sloppy". 

I think the pattern sounded good, the tempo was steady.  Yes, will benefit like all things guitar from further practice, but you sang and played together and it sounded fluent to me, looked comfortable.  I noticed a few notes ringing a little louder than the rest every now and then, but wasn't aware of the touching of all the unwanted strings you mentioned.  So I'd be pleased with this performance if it were mine :)

As Dave suggested, I'd consider strumming with the fingers when you make that shift.  As I recall this was the way you learned to strum before working hard to become comfortable with a pick.  So hopefully you haven't lost that technique in the process.  Personally, I think strumming with the fingers blends well with finger-picking, a softer attack, less volume, compared to strumming with a pick.  At any rate, I think worth trying it out and seeing how well it may work for the song.

Have to also say, I think you are a lot closer than a 1000 play throughs to polish this up, smooth off the one or two slightly less smooth moments.  For me it is close.  And maybe you were being super tongue-in-cheek, I did see the smile emoji.  And I'd agree with Dave ... in my eyes and ears you are more than ready for an Open Mic.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 11:55:52 am »
Nice job Johan and I'd agree with the others that the performance was very good. Finger picking seemed fine to me and the transition to pick wasn't that jarring. Have to admit I've never found a nice way to do it seemlessly..some seem to hold it between fingers and others on or near the guitar. I've just finger strumming in these circumstances.

Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 08:34:12 am »
Thanks a lot Dave, David and Rossco for feedback. I'm happy that you liked the performance even if it is in Swedish. Glad that some emotions came through, also I think the dynamics was a little better here than in some other songs.

About the fingerpicking, yes the rhythm is pretty solid which makes it sound pretty ok. I'm not happy with the accuracy of the right hand though, but I just need to practice fingerstyle more. The tempo in this song is quite fast so dont have the skill yet to play it the way I want.

Fingerstrumming is a good idea for this song. I'll try that. I dont fingerstrum very much these days, but I think I still can do it...

I have played for 3,5 years now so maybe I should be ready for an open mic night... I have no idea if there is such possibilities in the city where I live though. I need to check that out. Would be a pretty cool goal to have for 2020.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 10:32:53 am »
Hey Johan, sure the switch from picking to strumming was a little clunky, breaking the fluidity of your playing a little but it doesn't really detract from the performance as a whole which I thought was up there with some of the best songs I've heard from you during your 2019 challenge.

A really nice song to listen to despite having no idea what the lyrics meant, that is until I got my Google-Fu on and translated them (thanks Google!). Now armed with the knowledge of what the song is about has only elevated it and your performance in my eyes. I've had a few listens of both your cover and the original version a few times I like it so much so big thanks for the introduction! That's one of the many awesome things about the JG forum; your eyes are opened to so many new things musically which you would otherwise never have found.

Even as it stands without a little more practice polishing this song, it would be cool seeing you perform this at an open mic night.
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 8

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 02:40:06 pm »
I have played for 3,5 years now so maybe I should be ready for an open mic night... I have no idea if there is such possibilities in the city where I live though. I need to check that out. Would be a pretty cool goal to have for 2020.

Hope you can find a suitable opportunity,  John. I think the effort you have put into your weekly cover drive this year will pay huge dividends when you start doing open mic performances. And I don't think there is any doubt your performance level is good enough for open mic, especially if the organisers are running the events to help people make the step up to life performance ie not expecting professionals.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 09:30:51 am »
Pilgrim: Thanks cool that my recording made both you and oldhead look up the original. I dont think Winnerbäck has many listeners abroad (except for Norway and Denmark).

David P, Pilgrim, oldhead: Thanks for the support, I am glad you believe in me as an open mic performer. I need to feel ready myself though, and I feel I am not quite there yet. Not to far away though I think...
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 01:45:34 pm »
Good stuff Johan
I'm looking forward to achieving your level of picking!
Also, you inspired me to go off-piste and throw in some foreign tongue in my latest oeuvre!  ;)

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 03:08:35 pm »
really good, Johan! This is one area (fingerpicking) I would love to work on more.
Currently studying Intermediate Foundation 2

Fender Telecaster, Taylor 214CE-DLX, Martin 000-X2E, Fender Blues Junior IV

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 157
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 03:50:07 pm »
Nice,
Hey I am not up on finger picking much so this might be nothing more than a shot in the dark. But don't some finger picking folks tuck the pick in the fingers or hand? You might want to check around for technique for the transition from pic to finger picking. Another thought is maybe try the finger picks???

Certainly the above is not my area....

Good stuff, so keep up the rockin gigs as you close in!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 06:55:18 am »
Thanks Brian, Tosh and LBro.

LBro: Yeah could be a solution to try and have the pick in the palm while playing fingerstyle. Havent tried that, seems pretty difficult, likes everything else I guess it takes practice. Fingerpicks I am not sure, havent tried that at all...

Brian, Tosh: I have worked pretty much with fingersstyle, but only in the context of learning songs and I can only play a few patterns. So I think it would be a good idea to work through Justins fingerstyle module soon. Guess the module is a good place to start if you wanna learn some fingerstyle playing.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Get The Forum As A Mobile App