Author Topic: Electric guitar  (Read 633 times)

Offline GregB

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Electric guitar
« on: October 08, 2019, 10:40:02 pm »
A beginner here about 5 weeks into the beginner course with a cheap fender acoustic contemplating buying an electric guitar. Are there any go to options for an electric guitar ?

I’m happy to pay say £150 to £500 for a guitar, I’ve no idea what I’m looking at so not sure what to buy. Are there any recommendations or is it go and try them even though I assume electric may be a bit more complex than an acoustic. Do I need an amp and what time, I’m not looking to bring the house down so don’t think I’d need high power. Are there any other bits and bobs I’d need ?

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
Re: Electric guitar
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 11:44:33 pm »
The go-to perennial favourite starter guitar is the Yamaha Pacifica 112V. These are cheap, versatile, and great quality for the price. One of these should last you for years.

There are lots of other guitars around this sort of price range which are also very good. The ideal would be to go to a guitar shop and see what sort of guitar you like the look of and which feels comfortable to you to hold (especially the neck) but I appreciate this isn't always possible.

If you can't do this and have no strong preferences for any other brand or style of guitar then I would say you can't go far wrong getting a Pacifica 112V.

You will also need an amp of some sort, a tuner, a guitar cable, and a few guitar picks.

For an amp, the current go-to starter amp is the Boss Katana range but, again, there's loads of great amps in the same price range from Fender, Blackstar, and others. Again, a huge amount of this is going to be based on preference, which you may or may not have developed yet.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline GregB

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 06:45:30 am »
Keith, thanks for the recommendations much appreciated. I'll look into them. Can I use my snark clip on tuner or do i need something different for electric ?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 07:08:30 am by close2u »

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 06:57:11 am »
The snark should be just fine.

Cheers,

Keith

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 437
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 07:13:34 am »
Fine advice from Keith.
To bulk it out a little with some of the most well known guitar types:

Squier Classic Vibe series Telecaster or Stratocaster.
G&L Tribute series ASAT or Legacy.
Epiphone Les Paul, Dot or ES339.

Amps:

Blackstar ID: Core 10, 20 or BEAM
Roland Cube
Fender Mustang I or II version 2
Boss Katana Mini or even bigger
Yamaha THR

Offline GregB

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 01:53:17 pm »

Oh now it's getting complicated  ;D

I saw a Boss wireless amp which sounds very convenient, thoughts ?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 08:45:24 pm by close2u »

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 02:01:33 pm »
Katana Air?

They've had reasonable reviews and are definitely convenient.

As a practice amp they are probably OK.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline GregB

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 02:53:28 pm »

Excellent, I'm happy to pay a little more for convenience. I don't need anthing fancy as a beginner, as long as at it sounds reasonably ok thats good enough for me for now.

Yes this one https://www.dawsons.co.uk/boss-katana-air-wireless-guitar-amplifier-combo?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6uDM6qmP5QIVCbLtCh1rlA80EAQYASABEgL8uPD_BwE
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 08:45:38 pm by close2u »

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 03:11:17 pm »
Yes, it looks pretty good. I've been considering getting one of these myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYKA-6GuasY

It competes with the Yamaha THR-II series, which Yamaha have just updated with wireless capabilities. However, the latest Yamaha THR don't come with the wireless plug; you have to buy that separately.

To my mind that makes the Katana Air a slightly better option.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 03:12:18 pm »
330 quid? You're paying a huge premium for no wires. You can get a decent practice amp for a third (or less) of that cost.

You're still going to have to be near the amp to play it without annoying the neighbours, so a cabled amp would be the way to go

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 03:21:53 pm »
I would argue that the premium is for having a decent portable-sized amp which you can also use as a high quality Bluetooth music speaker.

Look at the price of the Yamaha THR range: The THRII 10W is £300 for a non-wireless version, the older THR10 is about £100 cheaper than the Katana air at £230, but the spec. isn't as good. You could get a full-sized 50W guitar practice amp for the same price as even the older 10W THR, and yet Yamaha have sold loads of them.

I think comparing these amps to traditional guitar practice amps is missing the point.

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 03:39:45 pm by Majik »

Offline GregB

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 04:09:30 pm »
Well I’m fortunate to not have any neighbours  ;D

I’m happy to pay the premium but realise that might not appeal to everyone.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 08:45:51 pm by close2u »

Offline GregB

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 08:19:41 pm »
If I purchase online the Yamaha will it come with decent strings or should I Change them, best strings to use  ? I can’t find the Yamaha locally. Do they generally come well set up or would I need to get it checked out. Are there any preferred suppliers in relation to above who I could ring up and arrange strings / set up ?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 437
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 08:43:03 pm »
I have sent you a pm

yes you can buy the Yamaha Pacifica online and it will / should be set up okay to start although new strings won't come in wrong as they may have been on a long time in manufacture, transport, warehousing etc.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 08:48:14 pm »
The Pacific 112V comes with D'Addario EXL120 / 0.009-0.042 strings which are pretty good. They should be in OK condition when it arrives, but it's worth having a spare set of strings around anyway as you should change them eventually and, as close2u says, they may not be in good condition if the guitar has been in storage for a while.

As for strings brands, that's a personal preference, but the D'Addario's are fine, as are Ernie Ball's and others.

The Pacificas have a reputation for solid quality and usually come pretty well set up, but there's no guarantees. It's worth trying to find a local store or luthier who can do a set up on it if it's not feeling quite right. And all guitars benefit from the occasional setup over time. And you can also learn how to do it yourself fairly easily.

Preferred suppliers? Well, that depends where you live. Remember this is an International forum.

Cheers,

Keith

Get The Forum As A Mobile App