Author Topic: As a beginner do I play along with songs/backtracks for each stage and if so how  (Read 414 times)

Online Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
Hello my friends,

So I have a wondering; on each stage we are supposed to be playing at least 1 song right?

This song needs to be a easy version of the songs suggested by Justin?

The APP backtracks counts as songs played/learned (as easy versions)?

or I have to try the complete version?

How about strumming, 4 down strums on each beat counts or I need to try some fancy strums patterns?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:07:30 am by close2u »
Stage 4 in progress...

Online Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
Hello my friends, So I have some questions:

1 - How many songs do we need to learn on each stage?

2 - This song needs to be a easy version of the songs suggested by Justin?

3 - The APP backtracks counts as songs played/learned (as easy versions)?

4 - or I have to try the complete version?

5 - How about strumming, 4 down strums on each beat counts or I need to try some fancy strums patterns?

(I can't edit my first post so...)
Stage 4 in progress...

Offline jbdynamite

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
1 -  I usually pick my favorite one from each stage. So at least 1 to reinforce a technique or learning point from each stage. Sometimes If I have a particular song in mind, I check the chords and start learning it if I've learned all required chords

2 - Yes. I think he mentions that it should be the easy version when first learning it. Then as you progress, you come back to the song and add additional stuff (more complicated strumming, embellishing chords, palm muting etc etc). You can also be stubborn and try to learn the song as Justin plays it, but be warned: It will be difficult because you are trying techniques that have not been introduced yet.

3 - I don't remember the play along's on the app, but I think the strum indicator is for simple strumming (Even if it is simple strumming, you can always add strums in between as you hear fit. But again, start with nailing the basic strumming.)

4 - Not sure

5 - refer to 2

Just curious, are you Indian in Software Industry? I only ask because Fresher is a common term they use.

Online Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
1 -  I usually pick my favorite one from each stage. So at least 1 to reinforce a technique or learning point from each stage. Sometimes If I have a particular song in mind, I check the chords and start learning it if I've learned all required chords

2 - Yes. I think he mentions that it should be the easy version when first learning it. Then as you progress, you come back to the song and add additional stuff (more complicated strumming, embellishing chords, palm muting etc etc). You can also be stubborn and try to learn the song as Justin plays it, but be warned: It will be difficult because you are trying techniques that have not been introduced yet.

3 - I don't remember the play along's on the app, but I think the strum indicator is for simple strumming (Even if it is simple strumming, you can always add strums in between as you hear fit. But again, start with nailing the basic strumming.)

4 - Not sure

5 - refer to 2

Just curious, are you Indian in Software Industry? I only ask because Fresher is a common term they use.

Thanks for the reply.

And No, I'm not Indian nor into any software industry haha ;D That's actually a good one!

My nickname is supposed to mean fresh, new, novice, begginer, recent...
Stage 4 in progress...

Online Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
Aditional questions:

- Do I need to know by heart at least 1 song of each stage? Because I don't know any (only a brazilian song that have dead simple chords progression and easy strumming), I play with the app backtrack, 4 down strums.

- Playing with 4 down strums and easy chords version of a song counts as LEARNED? Like I can say that I know to play a song even with no up strums incorporated with no original chords of the song etc, just a barefoot version?
Stage 4 in progress...

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
No you can't say you've learned the song but you can say you'll learned it
well enough for someone who is just a couple of weeks into stage 4.
You'll find the better you get you'll revisit song you like and learn a harder
version until you either know it off by heart and can play it as well as the original.
Or you get sick of it and never play it again. Some songs will stick with you forever
and some you'll learn and forget. Then 10 or 20 years down the road you'll be jamming
and someone will start playing a song and you be playing right along and remebering
I learnt that song when i was just starting.

I listened to your What's Up recording and your doing just fine. Quit worrying so much.
Don't worry about your OMC being off a bit. Learning is full of peaks and valleys it's
not a steady climb to the top.

Online Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
Yep, some songs really stick in your head. "What's Up" and "Yellow Submarine" are examples.
Stage 4 in progress...

Get The Forum As A Mobile App