Author Topic: Bob Dylan's Blowing in the Wind  (Read 716 times)

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 129
Re: Bob Dylan's Blowing in the Wind
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2019, 05:52:23 pm »
David, Your rendition of Blowing in the Wind just blew me away.   Great guitar and vocal here.  But I bet you can't play it that way without your hat on. ;D  Love that you've got a persona going, open mics, duets with Leslie.  Great, great job on this to my ears.  Really smooth sounding.  Fits you well.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 07:36:27 pm »
David, Your rendition of Blowing in the Wind just blew me away.   Great guitar and vocal here.  But I bet you can't play it that way without your hat on. ;D  Love that you've got a persona going, open mics, duets with Leslie.  Great, great job on this to my ears.  Really smooth sounding.  Fits you well.

;D in fine form there Dave, very witty. But seriously,  so appreciate the encouraging comments.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2019, 10:26:26 pm »
Such a timeless gem that song. I remember hearing it as a kid in the mid-70s and just knowing how important the song was, and it hasn’t lost a thing over the years. The dynamics on your vocals are stellar, you really convey the essence of the song. And the work and practice you’ve done to be able to share the beautiful simplicity of the guitar so sweetly is a gem on its own. Keep that one in your repertoire David, definitely.

Mari
Gretsch G5420T,  Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2019, 04:46:45 am »
Such a timeless gem that song. I remember hearing it as a kid in the mid-70s and just knowing how important the song was, and it hasn’t lost a thing over the years. The dynamics on your vocals are stellar, you really convey the essence of the song. And the work and practice you’ve done to be able to share the beautiful simplicity of the guitar so sweetly is a gem on its own. Keep that one in your repertoire David, definitely.

Mari

And I'm getting blown away by your comments,  Mari, thanks so much, appreciate it.

I first heard The Seekers singing this one in the 70s, age about 10 and loved it. Later discovered Dylan, the 60s and the deeper meanings. Sad how relevant it remains to this day....

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 06:45:04 pm »
Great stuff mate, I think this is probably my favorite performance i've seen of yours.   Everything working together very nicely.  Your right hand is looking really good, so much control and consistency   , very impressed.     I noticed also you decided to stray from the original and sing the song in tune!   .
Sounded great mate..bravo
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2019, 08:32:28 pm »
Great stuff mate, I think this is probably my favorite performance i've seen of yours.   Everything working together very nicely.  Your right hand is looking really good, so much control and consistency   , very impressed.     I noticed also you decided to stray from the original and sing the song in tune!   .
Sounded great mate..bravo

LoL ... stray from the original and sing in tune ... that's a good one Alex  ;D

Happy with progress on the right hand, really enjoying this simple pattern. Appreciate the encouragement.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 154
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2019, 10:07:38 pm »
Damn David; this production quality is great... and so is your singing and playing.
You're getting better with every single song you post.
steady singing, tasteful picking; good job!
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2019, 05:22:02 am »
Damn David; this production quality is great... and so is your singing and playing.
You're getting better with every single song you post.
steady singing, tasteful picking; good job!

Thanks so much, Lieven, appreciate you taking a listen and commenting.  Delighted to read you observe progress.  Just trying to keep on improving is all I aim for. 

Graham Cochrane of Recording Revolution always says the way to improve your mixing and productions is not getting more, better gear and watching YouTube videos but mixing, mixing, mixing.  I guess like the mantra goes here ... learn songs, learn songs, learn songs.  Sound advise (excuse the pun)

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2019, 10:12:17 am »
Hey David, I've been meaning to post on this thread for awhile now but keep getting distracted (I do most of my posting whilst at work during quiet moments) but those distractions have meant instead of typing a reply I've had a few more listens whilst working away, which is definitely no bad thing. :)

What a cracking cover you've delivered here. The finger picking is definitely coming along and produces such a lovely sound. When I listen to your timeline of songs there's clearly been steady improvement in your playing and also your recording techniques but the thing which has stood out for me recently and particularly in this video is the improvement to your vocals. You seem to have more control of the tone of your voice and how you utilize it to deliver the lyrics. I guess what I'm trying to say is your vocal delivery seems more polished to my ears of late, it feels like you've found a new gear; reached a new height.

I'm looking forward (as always) to your next offering to the forum. :)
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 6

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2019, 01:52:20 pm »
Hey Pilgrim, thanks for listening and such a thoughtful, generous and encouraging feedback. I can only say, if one keeps picking away (excuse the pun) progress happens, even if it is slow. I've focused on these alternating bass picking patterns for the whole year.

Glad you enjoyed the sound.  For interest sake, I achieved that using the built-in electronics of the guitar plus some Fx in the DAW.  In particular I use Waves GTR, which does pedal. amp and cabinet simulation.  In this case I used just pedals and ran the guitar through chorus, delay and reverb, which seemed to really enhance the sound of the guitar, without being too over-done.

Singing wise, if I think about it I think I am finding it easier to sing while finger-picking, rather than strumming.  Perhaps hearing individual notes rather than the full chord helps with pitch?  And I also notice I am more aware on where I start singing in the bar to phrase the words.

And I am similarly looking forward to your next posting as you continue to progress.

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2019, 02:15:58 pm »
In doing so I discovered the power of rehearsing in front of the camera.  Just knowing I wanted to record and release induced many flubs, both on the remembering lyrics and the nasty habit I have of jumping to the C chord a bar early on every other line :)

So true.  My wife can attest, I can play at clubs in front of people, but when she turns the cell phone on me to record youtube play-throughs, sometimes my nerves go nuts and I have to wait 10-15 minutes or so until I can calm down and record without shaking.  It's the weirdest thing.

Good job on your cover too!  Great song!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2019, 02:30:12 pm »
So true.  My wife can attest, I can play at clubs in front of people, but when she turns the cell phone on me to record youtube play-throughs, sometimes my nerves go nuts and I have to wait 10-15 minutes or so until I can calm down and record without shaking.  It's the weirdest thing.

Good job on your cover too!  Great song!

Thanks for that, Endureth ... I confess I was surprised how much tension was induced by turning on the recorder.  I was hoping that coping with live playing was going to result in being more relaxed in front of the camera.

Glad you enjoyed the cover.  Appreciate the encouraging comment.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 03:58:52 pm »
Wow,
You got some really nice recorded tones here in both the gitter and the vocs. Very nice clear mix, nicely done all the way around!

I never really caught the flub....  Maybe your last note on vocals stood out to me as a bit strained... I think possibly some warm up there and practice would smooth that one out.

But over all very impressive, you really are making progress for sure!

Rock on and keep up the great vibe!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 04:01:41 pm »
Wow,
You got some really nice recorded tones here in both the gitter and the vocs. Very nice clear mix, nicely done all the way around!

I never really caught the flub....  Maybe your last note on vocals stood out to me as a bit strained... I think possibly some warm up there and practice would smooth that one out.

But over all very impressive, you really are making progress for sure!

Rock on and keep up the great vibe!
LB

Thanks so much, Lbro.  Guess if you don't know the lyrics or song well perhaps the flub was well in disguise :)

Appreciate the encouragement and comments on tone.  This one was recorded DI from the guitar and dynamic vocal mic with gain dropped low to avoid any bleed.  With a bit of post processing I was happy with the guitar sound.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 11:38:59 pm »
Hey David

Finally getting time to catch up on some recent recordings amidst the political distractions.
Thought this was a lovely cover. Well balanced singing and great clean picking. Well done son and congrats on your Open Mic appearances. You are an inspiration to others.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Get The Forum As A Mobile App