Author Topic: 2019 Cover #33 (Half The World Away)  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019 Cover #33 (Half The World Away)
« on: September 25, 2019, 08:49:10 pm »
An Oasis B-side this time (from the Whatever single released in 1994). Also used as the theme tune to the BBC sitcom The Royle Family.

Seems like a simple little song but really struggled to get the right feel and rhythm of the song. Need more work, but here it is anyway.

https://youtu.be/FhN2ACkwkUg
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: 2019 Cover #33 (Half The World Away)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 09:26:35 pm »
Not a song I know, Johan, not an Oasis fan like you. As such it sounded fine, no idea how well you got the vibe of the original. 

Overall while everything sounded fine, clean, smooth etc, my sense was that you were maybe less into this song than some of the other recent covers. Didn't have quite the same energy.

It looked to me as if the left arm was resting on your leg. If so I think recommended technique is not to do that, considered a bad habit.

Liked the taps on the body.

Well done on sticking to your goal for recording weekly.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 07:11:06 am »
Thank you David, for always listening to my covers.

I think you are right that the left arm is resting on the leg. The posture is not good here, sitting in the sofa. So thanks for pointing that out.

Maybe not the same energy as some other songs, could be due to that I needed to focus on the rhythm and feel of the song. It should be played quite slow, and its really difficult to play slow and keep a consistent tempo.

I am happy with some parts of the song, and as most of my recent covers I can see some potential. Other parts need much more work though. Difficult one to sing since it has parts with quite high notes and then back to lower notes and vice versa.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 10:53:03 am »
Instantly recognizable and a very nice cover of another Oasis classic (aren't they all!?) all the more impressive to me that you only work on each of these covers for a week before jumping onto the next song. I've really enjoyed following your musical journey these past nine months. Keep 'em coming dude!
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 8

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 08:23:34 pm »
Hey Johan

Solid cover as always. I'm considering performing this very soon - if I can cope with the vocal it's a bit high for me.

Regards the feel of the song you got the pattern but the song swings a bit or sways? I'm going to totally fail at conveying this. What I'm saying is that it's not on the beat it's got a fair bit of freedom. If you listen to it it sort of saunters along. Try strumming from the elbow on this one, and do an exaggerated strum.

I know the original is quite slow but I think it sounds better with a bit more oomph like this version.
https://youtu.be/4e6oDGfLZrU

Anyway keep churning them out man you're doing great.
G

Sent from my SM-A530F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 638
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 08:28:03 pm »
Nicely done. Playing and singing coming together really well on this one.
#33 - wow.
You  should index these by copying the url for each separate thread.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 05:52:30 am »
You're a machine Johan! I don't know how you manage to learn a song a week. You seem to be finding your happy place with vocal range. Most impressive.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 01:50:02 pm »
I can't believe you're still on track with this project Johan!
Do you find it gets easier as you go along, or do you just keep raising your standards bar?
Vibes  8)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 02:45:13 pm »
I will pretty much echo what has already been said. You're blasting through your one track a week plan with great dedication. Vocals and rhythm are progressing nicely as well. Very impressive indeed!

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 10:20:49 pm »
Johan, I've got a lot of catching up to do.  Anyhow, I very much enjoyed this one, and really like that
"F" to "Fm" chord change and the vocal that goes with it.  Guitar sounding good, too.  Nice job.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 10:18:28 am »
Thanks Pilgrim, Gareth, Richard, Maggie, Brian, CT and Dave!

Gareth: yes the song has a "swing feel" which is difficult to catch. Looking forward to hear you play this , i'm sure you gonna do great. Are you plan to perform it in public/open mic? And thanks for the link, loved the performance by Noel.

Brian: The Swedish machine yes  :)  and I think I am raising my standards a bit, in the beginning of the year I was happy to be able to play the song without obvious errors. Thats usually relatively easy now, so focus is now more on how to make the performance sound better. The purpose of the whole cover project is to get better at playing and singing, I have said earlier to make one good recording I need to make 500 bad ones first.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 08:22:48 pm »
Nice job Johan and instantly recognisable both from an a Oasis and Royale Family perspective. You’ve got a pretty big collection of Oasis songs going there. Really liked your version, nice, relaxed and clean. Both guitar and vocal really nice. Top job.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Get The Forum As A Mobile App