Author Topic: My first open mic  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
My first open mic
« on: September 21, 2019, 09:56:08 am »
Just noticed that David has already posted his second! :O Good going David! I checked out one song from your first open mic before going to mine and decided that I shall see the rest after I complete mine.

Coming back to topic, I had mentioned about this to only two people here: David and Roman. I registered for the open mic over a month ago and was absolutely excited. I had such an amazing time there as well. However, I kind of had to stop working on a project to practice hard for this. Will be getting back to it today!

I prepared for three songs and a back up fourth. I kinda wanted to go there just to see and get a feel during my first time there but then decided against it and took the plunge. Sort of took it as a challenge. There were 4 acts and everybody got 15 minutes. I was the only first timer there and so I was battling with a little bit of nerves initially but the others were extremely encouraging and talented.

So I wanted to have my first song to be loud and popular to get everyone's attention, the second song would be an original and the third would be a singalong. I was rather quite comfortable on the stage from the get go. However, the subconscious nerves must have been strong as there were mistakes... plenty of them. A lot of them were standard mistakes that I thought I had covered.

It's very amazing how dry your mouth gets by the end of the set. So a personal advice from me for first timers would be to keep yourself hydrated and even go to the extent of carrying a bottle of water to stage with you (Trust me I had plenty of water today and it still got me). I also, had the case of mixing up chords, strangely enough towards the end of my performance. This also lead to almost forgetting lyrics, but I kept going. The last song in the set surely tested me but aside from these hiccups and two small instances of being unable to hit a high note, I think I had a great experience and will be going back next month.

Overall reaction from everybody there was positive. Another mistake I made though was with the socializing aspect. I didn't quite get to talk to everyone about the music we all shared there as much as I would have wanted and it's a shame as they all seemed very nice. There's always the next time for that. Anyways, I hope you enjoy my only other post this year (so far). :)

Edit: I forgot to mention one more thing. Pay attention to where your mics are at as well. I bumped into it with my guitar once. I noticed this during my practice session too, that I like to keep moving with my guitar. Watched too many live rockers I think! :D

Also, some of you may have noticed. I had the guitar tuned a half step down. Lately, my vocal range has taken another hit probably because I haven't sung in a while and my lifestyle. I was not able to nail the high notes in practice so I decided that I go down half a step and it covered me for most part. I'm thinking about taking vocal lessons to help me with my technique and on stuff like how to protect my voice.

Have to agree with David though. Live playing is such a rush! :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 10:31:01 am by Balamuthiah »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: My first open mic
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 10:07:30 am »
I watched your video straight after David's and I have to say a huge BRAVO to you also.
Way to go!
Overcome your nerves and just go for it.

:)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 10:25:45 am »
I watched your video straight after David's and I have to say a huge BRAVO to you also.
Way to go!
Overcome your nerves and just go for it.

:)

Thank you Close. I love the whole live feel. Kinda makes me want to find a band very badly right now and start writing more and perform. And that said, I do have a gig with my company's band soon and a party that I'm playing later tonight. :)

Offline Cagn on Rocks

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 50
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 10:50:03 am »
Hey Bala

Nice to see you 're back.  ;)
I really enjoyed watching your whole set with my morning coffee  ;). A bit nervous ?! Well that's totally understandable mate, no worry. What is good is that you like it and you want to do more. I think you did good anyway ! Good choice of songs too. Great idea to finish with a song everybody can sing along.
Congrats ;)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 11:05:25 am »
Hey Bala

Nice to see you 're back.  ;)
I really enjoyed watching your whole set with my morning coffee  ;). A bit nervous ?! Well that's totally understandable mate, no worry. What is good is that you like it and you want to do more. I think you did good anyway ! Good choice of songs too. Great idea to finish with a song everybody can sing along.
Congrats ;)

salut cagn!
comment ca va?! :)
I'm very glad that I'm back too! I didn't feel it consciously but I think I was very nervous at the start. I had plans for more than what I did with Hey Jude actually. And had all the note picking done for whipping post perfect when I practiced. But I will learn from the experience and get better! So next time, I'm gonna try and nail it. Probably want to go electric but it's difficult being a solo electric act.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 11:15:26 am »
Nice one Bala, broken the ice now - the only way is up!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 11:42:54 am »
Nice one Bala, broken the ice now - the only way is up!

Thank you Darrell. So much ground to cover though :)

Offline max_mue

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
    • YT-channel
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 01:15:03 pm »
Hey Bala! Congrats on getting the first one down, well done! Glad you also enjoyed your time :)
Welcome back :) Is the project you are working on a musical one? :)
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

maxmue.wordpress.com

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 01:32:07 pm »
Great work Bala!

The nerves when playing live in front of an audience are next level. In a past life I used to DJ in London and it was so nerve racking! But when you did well and had the crowd, the rush was, as you say, an amazing feeling!

Playing an instrument like guitar and singing would be 1000 times harder than DJing as every beat and note is one you!

I thought you did really well! And I reckon the first one will be the hardest. It will only get easier

Sent from my LG-H870DS using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

My guitar collection (so far):
LH Taylor GS Mini
LH Fender Squier Stratocaster (60s vibe)
VOX Pathfinder Amp
Pedals: Boss Super Chorus CH-1

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 02:25:38 pm »
Welcome back, Bala, and BRAVO ... that's the way to make a return. !!!

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved the percussive,  muted guitar tone, your singing is a real strength and comfortable interacting with the audience.

Can say I totally agree with you in terms of how effectively performing for an audience dries out the mouth.  I discovered one unexpected advantage of not having song sheets ... you can tilt the music stand parallel to the ground and it makes a great table for a glass of water  ;D

Hope you'll be back now with regular postings and comments,  I've missed you.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 04:00:31 pm »
Hey Bala! Congrats on getting the first one down, well done! Glad you also enjoyed your time :)
Welcome back :) Is the project you are working on a musical one? :)

Thank you Max! I really did enjoy my time there. :) and yes the project is a musical one! :)

Great work Bala!

The nerves when playing live in front of an audience are next level. In a past life I used to DJ in London and it was so nerve racking! But when you did well and had the crowd, the rush was, as you say, an amazing feeling!

Playing an instrument like guitar and singing would be 1000 times harder than DJing as every beat and note is one you!

I thought you did really well! And I reckon the first one will be the hardest. It will only get easier

Sent from my LG-H870DS using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Thank you Danni! DJing live must be difficult too. It's all about the quick reactions when doing anything live. I'm sure it'll easier from here on though :) But it's a wonderful rush nonetheless! :)

Welcome back, Bala, and BRAVO ... that's the way to make a return. !!!

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved the percussive,  muted guitar tone, your singing is a real strength and comfortable interacting with the audience.

Can say I totally agree with you in terms of how effectively performing for an audience dries out the mouth.  I discovered one unexpected advantage of not having song sheets ... you can tilt the music stand parallel to the ground and it makes a great table for a glass of water  ;D

Hope you'll be back now with regular postings and comments,  I've missed you.

Thank you David! The percussive tone felt necessary since just the guitar and I felt quite empty and lonely. I hope to workout some technique like John Mayer someday! The audience were a lovely bunch so it was great to interact with them. Although, I actually practiced to give more energy than I seemed to have given in my interactions. It worked out though :) I'll have to agree from the feedback I've received till date that my singing is my strength. Which is more a reason as to why I want take lessons. I want to improve my technique. My untrained raw voice suits some songs but it's also straining my range. I'm struggling with notes which seem within reach but not quite anymore.

Good idea with the music stand ;) I'm also thinking about making my own kit for gigs. I did take strings, cutters, tuners, capo and pick in my guitar's gig bag and later transferred to my pocket before going on stage but it would be more professional if I had a bag to carry on stage. Could put the water in it as well :)

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 08:55:54 pm »
Nice to see this post from you, Bala, and congrats on your first open mic!! You look so comfortable, and playing sounds great. Nice order to the songs as well, it flowed really well. Great to hear a bunch of voices singing along with you on Hey Jude. I hope the party tonight is great.

Mari
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50, Vibro Champ XD
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 09:19:33 pm »
Nice to see this post from you, Bala, and congrats on your first open mic!! You look so comfortable, and playing sounds great. Nice order to the songs as well, it flowed really well. Great to hear a bunch of voices singing along with you on Hey Jude. I hope the party tonight is great.

Mari

Thank you Mari! I researched quite a lot and came up with the list in that order. A song to wake people up, an original while they are awake and a we are all in this together approach is what I called it :) I was lucky with the audience that I got too. The only thing that I actually didn’t plan out was what to wear. But planning and execution were not completely the same. I loved the end result though. So much to take from it.

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 09:31:21 pm »
Good job Bala! Glad to see you up there, looking relaxed and composed. You had a good stage presence. Playing sounded great!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 11:58:48 pm »
Hey Bala, nice to see you back. Congratulations on taking the plunge!
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 01:41:17 am »
Good job Bala! Glad to see you up there, looking relaxed and composed. You had a good stage presence. Playing sounded great!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Thank you Lynn :)

Hey Bala, nice to see you back. Congratulations on taking the plunge!

Thank you Maggie :)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 159
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 02:28:11 pm »
Nice! Got a charge out of Whipping Post. Great set opener.

You broke the ice in style with a warm and friendly first outing. Very good start. Glad to see you around again!

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2019, 06:30:55 am »
Nice! Got a charge out of Whipping Post. Great set opener.

You broke the ice in style with a warm and friendly first outing. Very good start. Glad to see you around again!

Thank you CT! Gotta love whipping post! Very stripped down and yet such a powerful song! Thank you for the comments! More to come! :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App