Author Topic: 19 Things (original)  (Read 749 times)

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
Re: 19 Things (original)
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 02:38:59 pm »
Very, very lovely Brian. Sorry for the loss of your friend.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline brianlarsen

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2019, 05:12:02 pm »
Thanks for the listen and comments, Pilgrim  :)
The minor chords and droning voice make a lot of it sound mournful, but most of the experiences are extremely uplifting and even the couple of darker ones had beautiful resolutions for me.
I like the contrast of content and sound.
What has been brought to my attention however, is that I've lived a pretty sheltered life by comparison. :)
Don't kid yourself.
The older I get, the clearer it becomes that the only important things in life are relationships- whether at work, with family or friends.
Pretty sure you live an amazing life, if you look closely  :)

I have listened to this a few times. Very moving. A huge step away from your previous submissions. I liked it a lot.
This was an attempt to creatively express sentiments in a musical setting.
I brought tears to my wife's and sister-in-law's eyes, and have had some very generous comments here.
Result!  ;)
Very, very lovely Brian. Sorry for the loss of your friend.
Thanks, Hilts.
She had a peaceful death, lovely wake, beautiful funeral and joyful reception afterwards. Lots of laughter and tears.
Paraic's recent Pogues song inspired me to sing Sally McLennane, while dancing a jig with the widower!

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 96
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 03:52:05 pm »
Hi Brian,

Sorry for your loss.

Such a honest and emotional delivery which for me asks questions without speaking them; What's it all for? Does anything really matter? etc.

Really poignant.

Digger

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 10:16:07 pm »
That was very moving and powerful, Brian, certainly shows another side of you. That’s quite a creative project to show off your developing fingerpicking skills too.

I definitely agree with you on that the older I get the more I realize that relationships are what matter in life. And the music of course. 😊
Gretsch G5420T,  Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2019, 07:46:49 pm »
You've got something here. I need another few listens. The Cave comparison is fair and I'm an enormous Cave fan. I think you ought to work on this not that I didnt like it, more that I think it could be great.

Sent from my SM-A530F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline brianlarsen

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2019, 10:44:41 am »
@ Digger
thanks for the listen and thoughtful comments.
I am really a bit perplexed why such a happy, optimistic guy like me is drawn to the dark and disturbing side of art.
"Does anything really matter?"
You betcha! :)

@ Mari
Thanks, I find it quite encouraging that most of the comments here reflect fairly well what I was trying to do.
Yeah- Music!  8)

@ Gareth
Thanks bro! Comparison only in as much as subject matter and perhaps straying from the regular pop structures...
Have you listened to his latest 'Ghosteen'? Brooding and evocative, but I do miss some of the more punchy songs of the past  ;)

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2019, 01:47:36 pm »
I've only listened briefly....I don't think I'll like it. It's taken me two years to like skeleton tree. He doesn't make it easy. This one really is spoken poetry over backing tracks that I don't really care for. I miss the old stuff too. I wish he'd get involved with Mick Harvey and blixa again. It's all become to Warren Ellis centric and while a bit of its okay it's gone too far. I'd have never got into his music if I'd started off with any of the last few albums.

This is the last album in this trilogy fingers crossed for the next incarnation.

Thread hijack!!

Sent from my SM-A530F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App