Author Topic: Give Me Back My Smile (Original Song)  (Read 342 times)

Offline Cagn on Rocks

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 29
Give Me Back My Smile (Original Song)
« on: September 13, 2019, 06:49:18 pm »
Hello Guys

I wrote this song few months ago. It has taken a lot of work since then. Roman did the drums, mixing and prod, as always now  ;D. I am really lucky to be working with him  ;D. A big thank and congratulations to Roman, he works a lot on this. I wrote it as a simple acoustic song first and with time it then evolved in this more complex song. It has so a lot of takes (lots of instruments, and vocals). Roman managed to do his magic once again and the result is quite good. Thanks mate !!

Those lyrics comes from a rather dark period for me. I always stayed positive deep down as I knew bad stuff happens for good ends, bring change in your life. Now I am all good  ;). Lyrics are pretty explicit, they are available in the video description. The thing about the lines on the hands is this : when you dream and you look at your hands, the lines are all blurry. You can realise that you are in a dream. This is used by some people to do lucid dreams.  ;D haha. Or for me, not to panic in my own dreams that always started by waking up in my exact room. When reality and dreams get confused ... It can be scary  ;D

I hope you will like this song. I really like it, and what's funny is I get so relaxed when I listen to it !

Any feedback is more than welcome and I am open to criticism  ;)

The drawing at the beginning is done by my sister again. I think it's so beautiful !! Thank you to her  ;D

Love

Cagn

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 234
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Give Me Back My Smile (Original Song)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 07:29:27 pm »
Thanks for the extra info here,  Kevin. It's a powerful song indeed. Enjoyed a second listen.

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 08:05:58 pm »
Really cool! Especially love the ending. Loved the voices in my bed line. That was unexpected, and I was like...wait? Oh, yeah. That makes perfect sense. Really well written, conceived, and performed. Great job on production, Roman.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline b1rdland

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 11:01:58 pm »
Well Kevin, that was an experience! The music: the words, spew them out man, get them out of you and feel refreshed and ready to walk on.  Bad times=good lyrics, otherwise what are we going to write about? I love you and you love me? Bla bla bla.
I’m listening to all those parts, some just bit part players, but adding to the whole, so much creativity in there, the small details, there’s so much to love, the guitars all dancing together, the vocal and backing, all creating a brilliant song. You mentioned your training in vocals in the notes on your Bittersweet Symphony cover, it comes across here too. I know there’s a hell of a lot of work involved in this, bravo Kevin and Roman, one for the album I think.
The video: wow! I know nothing about filming/producing video, but to me this is so good. It must take yonks. Really gripping, layers of music and layers of images to go with it. You are very creative, hopefully you can do this for a living one day  ;D superb...take a bow.
My album - https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/angel-heart-2
Gibson es335
Fender Telecaster Professional
Taylor GS Mini-e
The Big Trees > Orange PPC112

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 04:23:56 am »
Hey brother Kevin,  wow first of all.   It's not often I relate to lyrics 100% like I did with this song.   I'm really happy you're hear and writing music like this for yourself, but also for us,  it's a great song,  thank you. 
I wont go on too much because I do do that.   I will say fantastic song,  the arrangement, production etc just sounded like it was meant to be heard like this.  Yourself and Roman nailed it.   Guitar playing just tasteful as all heck and perfect for the song.   I agree with b1rdlands comments completely, you just added perfect pieces in perfect places, an DC the arrangementand progression again was solid,  it didnt remind me of any other song. 
stoked you have your smile back,  thanks for sharing this. It's a beautiful song.

Sent from my A1601 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 05:53:50 am »
This is flipping amazing it kept my attention the whole way through. Inspirational well done Kevin and Roman.

Sent from my SM-A530F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 10:32:33 am »
What Bird said!  8)

This is your best yet and ready for mainstream consumption/appreciation.
Good luck and good vibes! \m/

Offline Cagn on Rocks

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 12:06:29 pm »
Thanks for the extra info here,  Kevin. It's a powerful song indeed. Enjoyed a second listen.
Thank you David I really appreciate it and I am glad you like it

Really cool! Especially love the ending. Loved the voices in my bed line. That was unexpected, and I was like...wait? Oh, yeah. That makes perfect sense. Really well written, conceived, and performed. Great job on production, Roman.

Thank you so much for all these amazing compliments. The ending is quite nice, it's what most people tell me. I like it too  ;D. Thank you really

Well Kevin, that was an experience! The music: the words, spew them out man, get them out of you and feel refreshed and ready to walk on.  Bad times=good lyrics, otherwise what are we going to write about? I love you and you love me? Bla bla bla.
I’m listening to all those parts, some just bit part players, but adding to the whole, so much creativity in there, the small details, there’s so much to love, the guitars all dancing together, the vocal and backing, all creating a brilliant song. You mentioned your training in vocals in the notes on your Bittersweet Symphony cover, it comes across here too. I know there’s a hell of a lot of work involved in this, bravo Kevin and Roman, one for the album I think.
The video: wow! I know nothing about filming/producing video, but to me this is so good. It must take yonks. Really gripping, layers of music and layers of images to go with it. You are very creative, hopefully you can do this for a living one day  ;D superb...take a bow.
Hey Steve
What a fantastic comment I am reading. Thank you so much for this. It's indeed easier to write good lyrics during bad times. And it does so much good to write, to get the stuff out, and makes us feel better, you are totally right.
I worked quite a lot on the vocals indeed for this song. I think near the end of the year (meaning academic year) I understood some stuff with my singing lesson. I had recorded everything for this song but on a lower tonality. It was quite good but the emotion was totally different. I worked a lot to find the best tonality I should sing it. And redid everything. The harmonised backing vocals can get quite high, so I had to take that into account too. I think I found what I suited the most the song in the end so I am glad. Thank you for noticing all the stuff like that (details and vocals...), I know I work for something ;D haha
About the video, indeed it takes a lot of times. What's funny is that it takes me energy to start the video, at first I am like "ok I go for something really simple I don't want to spend too much time in it", but once I start ideas come and I want the video to suit the song in the best way. I wanted to recreate lots of emotions that I felt during the times I wrote the song. So if I succeeded to do so I am really satisfied. Thank you so much for all.

Offline Cagn on Rocks

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 12:23:43 pm »
Hey brother Kevin,  wow first of all.   It's not often I relate to lyrics 100% like I did with this song.   I'm really happy you're hear and writing music like this for yourself, but also for us,  it's a great song,  thank you. 
I wont go on too much because I do do that.   I will say fantastic song,  the arrangement, production etc just sounded like it was meant to be heard like this.  Yourself and Roman nailed it.   Guitar playing just tasteful as all heck and perfect for the song.   I agree with b1rdlands comments completely, you just added perfect pieces in perfect places, an DC the arrangementand progression again was solid,  it didnt remind me of any other song. 
stoked you have your smile back,  thanks for sharing this. It's a beautiful song.

Hey Alex
Thank you so much for writing all of this. I really appreciate that. Thanks for all the great compliments. It's nice to relate to song lyrics, when music is talking to us. It means also that we are not alone ! I really hope you are doing fine mate and I am with you  ;)

This is flipping amazing it kept my attention the whole way through. Inspirational well done Kevin and Roman.

Thank you so much Garfield. I am really glad you liked it this much  :D

What Bird said!  8)

This is your best yet and ready for mainstream consumption/appreciation.
Good luck and good vibes! \m/
Thank you so much Brian
When I write songs it is so hard to evaluate if it is good (not sure if it really means something in the creative process point of view haha ;D) or not as it is from me haha.  So great feedback like this are amazing to read. Thank you so much

Have a great week end guys

Thank you

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 70
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 05:20:23 pm »
That's a killer hook! I could see me doing a cover of this song. Universally accessible/relatable lyrics. Excellent vibe and song flow. What a great way to kick a low point in one's life squarely in the azz. Dig it.   

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 07:13:59 am »
Hey Kevin,

Just an awesome track! You singing has definitely come a long, long way. You actually sing really great now, your biggest problem is pronunciation and that heavy french accent, but that's going to be really hard to get rid of. I like when you sing in English, because then we can understand what's going on, but I would also be curious to see what you actually can do, how far you could take it, if you were to sing in French. In any case, good job on writing and singing.

Guitars are also really well done, leaves together nicely and makes a whole. I really like the way the distorted guitar comes in.

Good to see you back!

Take care,
Kasper

Offline Cagn on Rocks

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2019, 02:24:03 pm »
That's a killer hook! I could see me doing a cover of this song. Universally accessible/relatable lyrics. Excellent vibe and song flow. What a great way to kick a low point in one's life squarely in the azz. Dig it.   
Thank you so much Clint. Feel free to cover it if you like it haha  ;). That's indeed how I want to see things in my life, take the bad stuff, and turn it into something positive. Thank you so much.

Hey Kevin,

Just an awesome track! You singing has definitely come a long, long way. You actually sing really great now, your biggest problem is pronunciation and that heavy french accent, but that's going to be really hard to get rid of. I like when you sing in English, because then we can understand what's going on, but I would also be curious to see what you actually can do, how far you could take it, if you were to sing in French. In any case, good job on writing and singing.

Guitars are also really well done, leaves together nicely and makes a whole. I really like the way the distorted guitar comes in.

Good to see you back!

Take care,
Kasper
Hey Kasper,
Thank you so much for all the compliments. Always mean a lot coming from you !
Yeah that Fxxxxxx French accent , so hard to get rid of...  :'(  haha. For some reason it is easier to write in English than in French for me (maybe cause most of the stuff I have always listened is in English, or because I don't feel judged by most of people I know for my lyrics). I would like to write some stuff in French so I hope that I will managed to do so pretty soon.  Or I should move to an English speaking country haha
Thank you so much for the feedback I really appreciate it.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #12 on: Today at 01:27:22 am »
What a fantastic production Kevin. Roman sure has done you proud. It seems that out of hard times and soul searching, some of it painful, you've found another level of musicianship and expression along the way. I hear and feel that in all the instrumental voices, your own human voice and in the way you deliver. Powerful stuff.  It's a joy to see you blossom and grow Kevin, thankyou for sharing your music and the journey you've been on to create it.  :-*

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #13 on: Today at 01:31:53 am »

Yeah that Fxxxxxx French accent , so hard to get rid of...  :'(  haha

Noooooooooooo don't get rid of your French accent. It's part of who you are. It would be like taking the alcohol out of a glass of fine wine. It adds texture, colour, mood and it's uniquely yours. I've heard you make the small changes to some of your pronunciation that make your words easy to hear and understand, that's all that's needed.  :-*

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 234
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #14 on: Today at 05:14:19 am »
Noooooooooooo don't get rid of your French accent. It's part of who you are. It would be like taking the alcohol out of a glass of fine wine. It adds texture, colour, mood and it's uniquely yours. I've heard you make the small changes to some of your pronunciation that make your words easy to hear and understand, that's all that's needed.  :-*

I'm with Maggie on this one, Kevin. I've never found your accent a distraction.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App