Author Topic: Basic electric guitar tone settings-help!  (Read 263 times)

Offline IanRJ

• Good Vibes 0
Basic electric guitar tone settings-help!
« on: September 13, 2019, 04:11:56 pm »
Hi folks, new here and also to electric guitar.

Been messing with acoustic for more years than I care to remember, but after a 15 year break am back at square one, so keen to enlist Justin’s help.

I’m travelling in an RV much of the time so my acoustic is both too big, and too loud for the other half to put up with, hence the need to change to electric. I’ve not actually played electric before, though playing this one (it’s very easy with great action and tonality) unplugged is nice and quiet and I get a lot out of it, I’d like to play I t plugged in.

I bought a set of VOX ac30 amliphones (head phones with some effects) which seem fine, however I can’t seem to get any kind of decent tone out of the guitar amplified.

Dumb question I fear, but what pickup and tone settings should I be using to get nice clean sounds, suitable for learning at beginners leve? So far no matter how I set the pickups every strum sounds muddy and unpleasant when amplified?

The guitar is a Harley Benton CST24 fixed bride (PRS style) with two humbuckers, a three way switch and a single volume with a pull push tone knob.

Without any effects switched on in the ac30, what pickup and tone settings should I be aiming for to get a good starting point for practicing Justin’s beginners course.

Appreciate any feedback as a lifetime learner!

IanRJ

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 442
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Basic electric guitar tone settings-help!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 08:08:55 pm »
If you mean these then I can claim no prior knowledge of them whatever.
But can suppose that they are never going to sound great.
The amplug was only ever passable and has been superceded several generations of technology ago.
If you had a little more money you would have been better off buying a super-tiny amp (Blackstar Fly / Boss Katana Mini / Roland Micro Cube) or a simple multi-fx (Digitech Element / Zoom G1xon / Mooer GE100) and some stand-alone headphones.

That said, you have what you have.

Turn your guitar volume controls down from 10.
Hopefully they are not all or nothing and you can detect a noticeable change with volume between say 4-6 on the dial.

Turn the amp gain down, the reverb up a fraction.

Try playing now.

Offline IanRJ

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Basic electric guitar tone settings-help!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 08:40:34 am »
If you mean then I can claim no prior knowledge of them whatever.
But can suppose that they are never going to sound great.

Turn your guitar volume controls down from 10.
Hopefully they are not all or nothing and you can detect a noticeable change with volume between say 4-6 on the dial.

Turn the amp gain down, the reverb up a fraction.

Try playing now.

Thanks for that I’ll give that a try (sure I’ve been through that combination already so perhaps you are right about the amp aspect).

IanRJ

Get The Forum As A Mobile App