Author Topic: As DavidP would say, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly  (Read 240 times)

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
As DavidP would say, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly
« on: September 10, 2019, 07:05:51 pm »
First, allow me to extend my apologies for not posting or responding over the last two months or so.  While not participating, I have been listening to all of your fine music and reading your posts.   The reason I haven't been participating is enumerated below.

I'll start with the Bad and Ugly first.  About eight weeks ago as my wife and I were leaving the gym from a short workout, I noticed she was having trouble remembering some things she did in the gym.  On the way home I started asking her simple questions, such as what state does our oldest son live in, who drove to church yesterday, what happened after church.  While she was communicating well with me, she couldn't recall where our oldest son lives and had not one detail about the day before. 

I took her to the emergency room.  When we got there she said "What brought us here".   After many tests (CT scan, X-rays, bloodwork, etc.), she still didn't have memory of the day before or things that happened after we were leaving the gym.  The docotor said clinically he couldn't find anything wrong and that he could release her to go home, but that he had a nagging feeling.  He diagnosed her with Transient Global Amnesia (TGA), something people can get once in a lifetime, sometimes twice.  He said he wanted to check with the neurologist before releasing her.  The neurologist said to admit her for observation and do more tests in the morning.

The next morning they did another CT scan, MRI, echocardiogram, X-rays, bloodwork, etc.  Lo and behold, the MRI showed that she had suffered a number of mini-strokes within the past 48 hours.   Beyond that, the echocardiogram found a rare golfball sized tumor (a myxoma) (2 cm) in the left atrium of her heart and sitting on top of the mitral valve.  The prognosis was that it had to come out!

The next day we met with the surgeon.  He said he normally wants to wait 6 weeks before doing open-heart surgery on someone who has had strokes, but considering the situation would do it in two weeks.
That night my wife had another mini-stroke and lost about 2 1/2 hours of memory.

The next day, the neurologist conferred with Johns Hopkins and University of Maryland Hospitals.   The conclusioin and consensus was that we didn't have the luxury of two weeks, the tumor had to come out or it could break off and kill her instantly.  There are two types of these tumors:  one is hard surfaced and one is gelatenous.  Of course her's  was the gelatenous type, the more rare type.

Well, the surgeon we wanted to do the operation wasn't available for three days.  We wanted someone who had done this type operation before.  He had seen only 20 of these in over 31 years of practice.  They suggested we send her to a major center in Baltimore or Washington D.C.   Well they were all at capacity and couldn't take her.  So we prayed that she wouldn't have anymore strokes while waiting the three days.

Three days later they did the surgery.  It was successful.  They removed the tumor, did not have to replace the mitral valve, and told us it would be a long recovery but there wouldn't be anymore strokes because the tumor was gone.

Recovery in ICU and step-down were uneventful and a week later they released her to go home.

Two days later she suffered another stroke.  Thankfully I was right behind her when it happened, because this time it affected her speech and left side of the body.  Called 911.  By the time I gave 911 the info, my wife was talking and able to move normally, so the stroke was transient and only lasted for about a minute.  Back to the hospital, ran all the tests again.  The MRI showed one small stroke in the brain.  All the doctors conferred and were perplexed because this wasn't supposed to happen.  The surgeon finally said, "Look, the only thing we messed with was the heart, and the stroke had to come from the heart up to the brain, it couldn't come from other places in the body."  He theorized that one of the three intraoperative suture lines in her heart had thrown off a small clot.   The only other thing it could be would be afibrilation, which she didn't have the whole 2 weeks in the hospital.  They put her on an anticoagulant and released her to home.   In two weeks she has to have surgery to implant a Linq monitor in her chest to monitor for afibrilation, so as to rule that out as a cause and get her off the anticoagulant.  That will have to be in for at least 6 months.

OK.  That's the bad and the ugly.

The Good:   We are now 7 weeks out from the open-heart surgery and have had no more events.  My wife's recovery is coming along well at home, and where they cut the sternum in two and made the incisions into the heart should be completely healed in 8 to 12 weeks, to the point she'll be able to start doing things and start working on getting her strength back.  Total recovery, we are told, will take about 6 months.

Needless to say, I have not touched my guitar since all this happened.   I won't be participating for some undetermined time, but know that I will be listening to your music and reading the posts.  Obviously, my wife is my first priority.  Keeping up the household, shopping, etc, not to mention sleep deprivation is limiting my time and enery.    I'll be back when I can. 

Thanks so much for your understanding, thoughts and prayers.

Dave   

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
Re: As DavidP would say, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 07:24:07 pm »
Wow. Sorry to hear that, but I'm glad your wife got attention quickly, and it sounds like they caught it before it got worse, and that she is now on the mend.

I can only extend my best wishes for her speedy recovery.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 07:27:39 pm »
Dave, my heart and prayers go out to you and of course to your very tough wife. What an absolutely harrowing ordeal you've been through.   I can't imagine the worry and stress this has put on you both and I'm just so pleased that you both now can breathe a little and focus on your wife's recovery.   She's very lucky to have an intuitive husband who saw the signs when you did.   You are both in my thoughts.   Thank you for sharing this with us.  I can't think of a better title than the one youve chosen. 

Sent from my A1601 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 234
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 08:06:38 pm »
Dave, so thoughtful and considerate of you to take time out to share with us and I am touched that you feel comfortable to do so.

Ever so glad, this ended on a good note. I wish you both well as recovery continues.

Hope our music brings some cheer and know yours is missed.

Take care.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 08:28:57 pm »
Dave, it's great that your wife is on the mend!
Time to take it easy for a while and both of you recover from it all, my thoughts go with you both take care and get well!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 435
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 08:40:57 pm »
Oh my. Dave - all I can offer is words and warm wishes from afar to you and your wife and family. Here's hoping to a wholly non-eventful recovery and healing process.
Richard
:)

Offline MrBumble

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 09:31:49 pm »
Dave, thank God you were able to react so quickly and that the outcome looks promising.

I will add you and your wife to my prayer list.

Keep strong for her and, above all, look after yourself.

Very best wishes to you and your family.
Guitars - Gretsch 5120, Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Pedals - TC Polytune 2, Mooer BluesCrab, Boss CE5 Chorus, Boss RC3 Looper, TC Flashback 2
Amplifiers - Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco, Marshall G30R CD,

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 02:44:56 am »
Dave what a harrowing, frightening, exhausting ordeal you've both been through. I join the others here in wishing your wife a speedy return to wellness, good health and full function. For you dear friend, I send you thoughts of comfort, strength and a return to peace. You will both be in my thoughts.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 07:10:38 am »
Hi Dave,
Good to hear things continue to go well! The prayer list here still has you folks at the top!  :)

All my best and you folks take good care!

LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline max_mue

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 43
    • YT-channel
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 07:49:30 am »
Hey Dave,
I was so glad when I got to read The Good at the end of your post.
All the best & take care
Max
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

// YT-Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX5ZGjZ-aZgUNiCU-dznxAg

Offline kontenda

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 11:56:10 am »
Sorry to hear about your wife's illness oldhead. Sounds like it has been a traumatic few months for you. Great to hear she is making a recovery - it was good you were there and so quick to react. I hope she will make a full recovery.
Best wishes and take care
Paraic

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 01:04:39 pm »
(((Dave))) I'm so sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she continues to recover fully, and life gets back to normal for you both soon. Let me know if there's anything I can do. I'll be thinking about you.

Lynn

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 01:50:53 pm »
Dave, so sorry for the events that have been thrown at your wife and yourself recently. Nothing in life is as important as good health. I was very glad to read that she is expected to make a full recovery with time. All the best to you and your wife.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 09:58:23 pm »
Dave wow that is a whole lot to be dealing with. Very glad to hear that things are now seeming to be progressing well, I hope that your wife has a good healing path now and no more of the bad and the ugly. Take care, I will be thinking about you both.

Mari
Gretsch G5420T,  Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Get The Forum As A Mobile App