Author Topic: "Square One" (Tom Petty cover) fingerstyle or strumming  (Read 443 times)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 234
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: "Square One" (Tom Petty cover) fingerstyle or strumming
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 07:57:14 pm »
I liked that, Len. I think the contrast between voice and highrr pitched guitar worked well.

A little bit above my play-grade to make much comment on tbe lead. The melody and feel was fine, I think. Not as convinced by the tone...a bit echoey, maybe a little loud?

Good luck with polishing it up for the Open Mic.

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 08:10:19 pm »
I could only access the struming version but it was terrific.  The tones you have in your voice are pretty dang cool.   I watched your video of old ways I think it's called,  the Bradley Cooper movie song.   I fluff around with this song cause it's brilliant but oh man I won't be any more after hearing you sing it.   You sound like Willie Nelson and Kenny Rogers somehow morphed into one dude.  Very good Len,  very good.

Sent from my A1601 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 08:34:20 pm »

A little bit above my play-grade to make much comment on tbe lead. The melody and feel was fine, I think. Not as convinced by the tone...a bit echoey, maybe a little loud?

David

thanks for the feedback (again!) ...... the solo was performed (and filmed) 3 times, each time lowering the volume but when pasted into the acoustic video it took on a life of it's own, probably due to either compression or a limiter in the output so always came out loud ......then I lowered it again just in a seperate audio file but that caused it to be drowned out by my strumming. So the best version was chosen as I was just playing with that part, seeing if I can learn some better videography to cut and past in other parts!

I like this type of strum on this song, it takes out most of the bass and I liked the higher pitch with this song as  I think I get closer to Tom Petty while still making it mine. After a couple days of feedback, I'll pick one and move forward!

Len

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 08:38:06 pm »
I could only access the struming version but it was terrific.  The tones you have in your voice are pretty dang cool.   I watched your video of old ways I think it's called,  the Bradley Cooper movie song.   I fluff around with this song cause it's brilliant but oh man I won't be any more after hearing you sing it.   You sound like Willie Nelson and Kenny Rogers somehow morphed into one dude.  Very good Len,  very good.

Sent from my A1601 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

well, thanks for all of that! some songs just fit me, the Bradley Cooper song, "Maybe It's Time" was one of them.

I took down my fingerstyle version so this one and the initial strumming version is where I'm at. Like I said, I'm gonna pick one in a day or so and just practice that one going forward but I still don't know which one it will be!

Thanks for the feedback!

Len

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 234
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 10:03:38 pm »
David

thanks for the feedback (again!) ...... the solo was performed (and filmed) 3 times, each time lowering the volume but when pasted into the acoustic video it took on a life of it's own, probably due to either compression or a limiter in the output so always came out loud ......then I lowered it again just in a seperate audio file but that caused it to be drowned out by my strumming. So the best version was chosen as I was just playing with that part, seeing if I can learn some better videography to cut and past in other parts!

I like this type of strum on this song, it takes out most of the bass and I liked the higher pitch with this song as  I think I get closer to Tom Petty while still making it mine. After a couple days of feedback, I'll pick one and move forward!

Len

For sure, I'd pick tbe second strummed version,  Len, and agree with your assessment.

Good for you on pulling different video segments together. I haven't tried that...yet. I'd probably need a better editing tool than what I am currently using (MS Movie Maker).

What has worked out ok, is to record video with audio on my phone while also recording the audio with my mic, interface into Reaper (my DAW). Then I replace the audio track in the video with one rendered out from Reaper. If you did something similar that may well give you enough control to balance the lead and rhythm (in this case). Trick is to get the audio and visual in sync. I do this by exporting the video audio out once the video of the take I want is trimmed out and also pulling into Reaper. Fairly straightforward to get the two in sync and then render out a properly mixed audio file that can be added to the video.

Well that got a bit detailed,  and may or may not be useful  ;)

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2019, 11:16:06 pm »

Well that got a bit detailed,  and may or may not be useful  ;)

I got all that, I go thru similar gyrations right now but will probably look for some new software and/or equipment soon......what good is a hobby if I can't spend money on it!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 234
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 06:32:15 am »
I got all that, I go thru similar gyrations right now but will probably look for some new software and/or equipment soon......what good is a hobby if I can't spend money on it!

LOL ... and I suspect if you move to get to the same level as capability as what we have for home audio recording for home video making with synchronised visual and audio etc you may have the opportunity to spend lots of money  ;D

Get The Forum As A Mobile App