Author Topic: "Square One" (Tom Petty cover) fingerstyle or strumming  (Read 1508 times)

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
"Square One" (Tom Petty cover) fingerstyle or strumming
« on: September 07, 2019, 08:31:25 pm »
So I have two versions here, can't decide which would be better to play at the local open mic....... so some opinions please of which you like better fingerstyle or strumming? (still working on my technique for both)

Strumming

Fingerstyle

Thanks!

Len Aloise
https://soundcloud.com/lenaloise/tracks
https://www.facebook.com/PoppysMusicPlace/

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 325
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: "Square One" (Tom Petty cover) fingerstyle or strumming
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 09:43:23 pm »
Don't know that one, it's a goodie. So thanks for sharing, Len.

I'm leaning towards the strummed version.  The technique of bass note with thumb and strumming with index finger looks effective... (yet) another thing to try. Sounded really good and I think worked for the song.

I think some bass linking runs would sound good here.  Help accent the start of some of the different sections.

When is the Open Mic?

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 10:42:29 pm »
It is a tough choice and both versions are very nice. I think the strum version has more drive to it, so I will hang my hat on that one....

All the best at the open mic!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 03:47:33 am »

I'm leaning towards the strummed version.  The technique of bass note with thumb and strumming with index finger looks effective... (yet) another thing to try. Sounded really good and I think worked for the song.

I think some bass linking runs would sound good here.  Help accent the start of some of the different sections.

When is the Open Mic?

I actually worked on a third version combining both techniques, starting fingerstyle and then going into the strumming on the chorus and back but found it awkward (maybe just needs practice).

I've seen Tom Petty do this live with his band, he uses a down strum with his index finger only but the band does the rest of the work including a steel guitar type solo.

Trying for my one person approach, to me it's a combination of the playing and singing that I think makes it interesting for the audience (unless of course you are playing to a group of guitarists that only focus on your  guitar expertise and style!), My test audience (my wife) is interested in the whole thing, so nice music thru the song with good vocals. When I play an open mic I try for the middle ground, nothing too fancy  or I get uncomfortable!

Open mic in 3-4 weeks, I'm working on 6 songs, will probably do three of them depending on how I feel that day! Then if time permits, sometimes an extra.

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 03:49:20 am »
It is a tough choice and both versions are very nice. I think the strum version has more drive to it, so I will hang my hat on that one....

All the best at the open mic!
LB

Thanks, I like the strumming better as well, thought it had a better flow and the audience would like it better but thats why I'm asking.....want to see how this group sees it!

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 10:50:59 am »
Hi,

I do like the third version idea.
Start with finger picking, then ramp up into the the strum - maybe carry this through till towards the end, perhaps revisit the picking around 2.08, before back in to the strum for the ending?

Not a tune I'd heard before. But enjoyed it.

Digger

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 02:03:00 pm »
Hi,

I do like the third version idea.
Start with finger picking, then ramp up into the the strum - maybe carry this through till towards the end, perhaps revisit the picking around 2.08, before back in to the strum for the ending?

Not a tune I'd heard before. But enjoyed it.

Digger

Yes, certainly more interesting....if I can pull if off while singing then probably a good idea but sometimes playing and singing, one gets in the way (in my head). But assuming one way or the other, do you prefer strumming or fingerstyle?

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 04:35:15 pm »
My el cheapo headphones are being used by my wife this morning, so I'm left with mac laptop speakers. That said, I liked both versions but really couldn't tell much difference. You should choose the version that is more automatically under your fingers for open mic, or perhaps choose the one that allows you to raise your vocals a bit more above the guitar. Both covers were very good, so either one should work well.

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 08:43:10 pm »
My el cheapo headphones are being used by my wife this morning, so I'm left with mac laptop speakers. That said, I liked both versions but really couldn't tell much difference. You should choose the version that is more automatically under your fingers for open mic, or perhaps choose the one that allows you to raise your vocals a bit more above the guitar. Both covers were very good, so either one should work well.

that sounds like good advice! as to volume, some is lost in the process of recording as it's all done on my android for these videos but I get what you are saying! Thanks much for the feedback!

Len

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 12:45:23 pm »
here's a link to Tom Petty doing this song .

https://youtu.be/l_om5u2Fb6Q

..... I tried for a while to imitate his strumming style to no avail which is how my two versions came about!

Thanks all for the feedback, I'm still working on it, I think it will depend on what else I decide to play that day. But I don't like too many fingerstyle in a row as they start sounding the same and I have others I do better that way so probably the strumming version wins out, it's a bit faster as well which I like!

Len Aloise
find me on Facebook and Soundcloud when you can!
https://www.facebook.com/PoppysMusicPlace/
https://soundcloud.com/lenaloise/tracks

Offline b1rdland

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 50
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 01:58:36 pm »
I prefer the strummed version, although they both have their own unique feel, both are excellent. Great skills on show Len!
My music https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/angel-heart-2
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/illuminate-2
Gibson es335 - Fender Telecaster Professional
Taylor GS Mini-e
The Big Trees > Orange PPC112

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 325
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 02:31:58 pm »
Thanks for the link to the original, Len.  I think you did a fine job with it and will stick with my preference for the strummed version. 

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 03:25:37 pm »
I prefer the strummed version, although they both have their own unique feel, both are excellent. Great skills on show Len!

thank you much!

Len

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 03:26:06 pm »
Thanks for the link to the original, Len.  I think you did a fine job with it and will stick with my preference for the strummed version.

thanks David!

Len

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 07:46:58 pm »
ok, for those still following along.......

still working on a few new things here vs. my other video of the same song (https://youtu.be/d7cqMlk6gyI) that you folks felt my strumming version was better than my fingerstyle version ...... so this new one is a different key ("A" using a capo vs "G" in the others, spliced in a solo and also trying to get closer to Tom Petty's strumming technique (https://youtu.be/l_om5u2Fb6Q) ..... (Tom Petty btw playing his in "Gb" capo on 6)

here's my latest attempt

updated 09/11,
 faster, some video edit and volume adjusted (again) on the solo

again, feel free to comment this vs. my other strumming version in the link above ........and then I'm done, gonna practice one way going forward (without the solo unless I find a friend to join me for the open mic!)

Len

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:14:29 pm by aloise1 »

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 325
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 07:57:14 pm »
I liked that, Len. I think the contrast between voice and highrr pitched guitar worked well.

A little bit above my play-grade to make much comment on tbe lead. The melody and feel was fine, I think. Not as convinced by the tone...a bit echoey, maybe a little loud?

Good luck with polishing it up for the Open Mic.

Offline Alex6strings

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 52
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 08:10:19 pm »
I could only access the struming version but it was terrific.  The tones you have in your voice are pretty dang cool.   I watched your video of old ways I think it's called,  the Bradley Cooper movie song.   I fluff around with this song cause it's brilliant but oh man I won't be any more after hearing you sing it.   You sound like Willie Nelson and Kenny Rogers somehow morphed into one dude.  Very good Len,  very good.

Sent from my A1601 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 08:34:20 pm »

A little bit above my play-grade to make much comment on tbe lead. The melody and feel was fine, I think. Not as convinced by the tone...a bit echoey, maybe a little loud?

David

thanks for the feedback (again!) ...... the solo was performed (and filmed) 3 times, each time lowering the volume but when pasted into the acoustic video it took on a life of it's own, probably due to either compression or a limiter in the output so always came out loud ......then I lowered it again just in a seperate audio file but that caused it to be drowned out by my strumming. So the best version was chosen as I was just playing with that part, seeing if I can learn some better videography to cut and past in other parts!

I like this type of strum on this song, it takes out most of the bass and I liked the higher pitch with this song as  I think I get closer to Tom Petty while still making it mine. After a couple days of feedback, I'll pick one and move forward!

Len

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 08:38:06 pm »
I could only access the struming version but it was terrific.  The tones you have in your voice are pretty dang cool.   I watched your video of old ways I think it's called,  the Bradley Cooper movie song.   I fluff around with this song cause it's brilliant but oh man I won't be any more after hearing you sing it.   You sound like Willie Nelson and Kenny Rogers somehow morphed into one dude.  Very good Len,  very good.

Sent from my A1601 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

well, thanks for all of that! some songs just fit me, the Bradley Cooper song, "Maybe It's Time" was one of them.

I took down my fingerstyle version so this one and the initial strumming version is where I'm at. Like I said, I'm gonna pick one in a day or so and just practice that one going forward but I still don't know which one it will be!

Thanks for the feedback!

Len

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 325
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 10:03:38 pm »
David

thanks for the feedback (again!) ...... the solo was performed (and filmed) 3 times, each time lowering the volume but when pasted into the acoustic video it took on a life of it's own, probably due to either compression or a limiter in the output so always came out loud ......then I lowered it again just in a seperate audio file but that caused it to be drowned out by my strumming. So the best version was chosen as I was just playing with that part, seeing if I can learn some better videography to cut and past in other parts!

I like this type of strum on this song, it takes out most of the bass and I liked the higher pitch with this song as  I think I get closer to Tom Petty while still making it mine. After a couple days of feedback, I'll pick one and move forward!

Len

For sure, I'd pick tbe second strummed version,  Len, and agree with your assessment.

Good for you on pulling different video segments together. I haven't tried that...yet. I'd probably need a better editing tool than what I am currently using (MS Movie Maker).

What has worked out ok, is to record video with audio on my phone while also recording the audio with my mic, interface into Reaper (my DAW). Then I replace the audio track in the video with one rendered out from Reaper. If you did something similar that may well give you enough control to balance the lead and rhythm (in this case). Trick is to get the audio and visual in sync. I do this by exporting the video audio out once the video of the take I want is trimmed out and also pulling into Reaper. Fairly straightforward to get the two in sync and then render out a properly mixed audio file that can be added to the video.

Well that got a bit detailed,  and may or may not be useful  ;)

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2019, 11:16:06 pm »

Well that got a bit detailed,  and may or may not be useful  ;)

I got all that, I go thru similar gyrations right now but will probably look for some new software and/or equipment soon......what good is a hobby if I can't spend money on it!

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 325
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 06:32:15 am »
I got all that, I go thru similar gyrations right now but will probably look for some new software and/or equipment soon......what good is a hobby if I can't spend money on it!

LOL ... and I suspect if you move to get to the same level as capability as what we have for home audio recording for home video making with synchronised visual and audio etc you may have the opportunity to spend lots of money  ;D

Get The Forum As A Mobile App