Author Topic: Strat 7-way mod with dedicated bridge tone knob  (Read 524 times)

Offline jhob

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Strat 7-way mod with dedicated bridge tone knob
« on: August 12, 2019, 10:17:20 am »
So here's what I'm trying to do:

• Add a switch to my strat so that I can turn the bridge pickup on in the neck and neck/middle positions
  • Have a dedicated tone knob for the bridge with neck and middle sharing the other knob

I followed this tutorial, however the wiring isn't quite right.  What you end up with is a master tone knob that controls all pickups when the mod is turned on with the bridge tone knob not working at all. When the mod is turned off the tone knobs do work as expected.

So what I am proposing is to rewire it like this:

Which I think should work as it keeps separation at all times between the bridge and neck/middle.  My only doubt is if running the DPDT switch between bridge pickup input and volume out will work, will the tone pot and cap still do it's thing when the signal is being sent straight to volume pot out?

Do you reckon this will work?  Obviously I can test it out easily enough just trying to not got through the faff of pulling the guitar apart more times that I need to!

Offline simon3142

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
Re: Strat 7-way mod with dedicated bridge tone knob
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 08:19:00 am »
I am no expert on this kind of thing, but as far as I can see you will end up with two tone controls in parallel when you use the bridge pickup in combination with one/both of the other pickups. This will mean the tone controls will interact.
Capacitors in parallel are additive so you will have more capacitance in circuit which will affect treble. I am not sure how much this will matter to you, but you could try using a smaller capacitor for the bridge tone control.

Have you thought about switching out the bridge tone control using spare positions on your switch? But you would still have the double tone control when you uses bridge and middle on the 5 way switch.
Gear: Aparicio AA30, Ibanez AS103, Simon&Patrick Woodland Mini Jumbo, Cube X20
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/simon3142

Offline nigec

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 02:35:21 pm »
I went the Red Special route with my Strat, all pickups can be switched in any order and switch in/out of phase
You can get a kit for about $35, new pots, 6 switches and scratch plate
Pots were a lot better than the originals, the switches are very fiddly to wire up but it was worth it

don't know if the link will work but this is mine:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3ejz35nkj4g2ow/mystrat.jpg?dl=0

edit:
 in hindsight I'd of probably gone for better switches. maybe ones that didn't require soldering, its very difficult to replace just one or swapping pickups

edit2
I found the link to the kit:
https://www.guitarfetish.com/BHM-Style-Wiring-Kits_c_226.html
Guitars:  Squier classic vibe Stratocaster; Fender look alike Jazz bass from a kit, Cigarbox 3 string, Uke, Mandolin and the devil loves a tryer!

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 04:20:20 pm »
Many years ago I did ^^^^ myself using 3 position switches with centre off, the only thing that used to catch me out was remembering what positions sounded like what (I think that Brian himself made a remark about that!); you can get some great sounds using the Red special wiring but you need a good memory if you’re going to use it live!
Another thing that you can do is to change the tone pot wiring to work with the bridge instead of the middle, it depends on why you want to have control over the bridge pickup whether that would work for you. I thought it was an easy solution to get what I wanted at the time!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline nigec

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 04:43:27 pm »
I like neck, middle out of phase and tend to keep it like that, I bought a Fender Mustang MK1 and I find it sounds a bit electronic if that makes sense?, that configration kind of helps

I had a brain fart moment after my granddaughter had done her guitar tech thing and switched everything off and for the life of me couldn't figure out why nothing worked ::)

Guitars:  Squier classic vibe Stratocaster; Fender look alike Jazz bass from a kit, Cigarbox 3 string, Uke, Mandolin and the devil loves a tryer!

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Live in Didcot, Oxfordshire
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 12:15:05 pm »
You could go for ready done.

https://www.sixstringsupplies.co.uk/product/7-way-stratocaster-harness

I fitted their ready made Strat harness with blend to my Harley Benton DG 57 Tribute, quality parts and worth paying extra for, I did my Telecaster wiring myself and it was really fiddly.
Squier Affinity Telecaster Texas Special pick ups, Kit built Telecaster, HB ST57 DG Strat Modified, Ibanez GIO Bass, Boss Nextone Stage 40 Amp

br />My Roadcase http://www.justinguitar.com/forum/index.php?topic=18937.0<br

Get The Forum As A Mobile App