Author Topic: No Time  (Read 3949 times)

Offline savarezguy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
Re: No Time
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2019, 07:47:58 pm »
I know the exact same situation, looking after the kids and no time to play ... but it might not take more than 10 minutes to practise something new. Even if it is just a finger picking pattern or change chords like F (barre) to open C.

It helped me to start with a classic guitar first to build strength and then move on to an acoustic once hand strength is up to par with steel strings. It is absolutely more fun to play if the notes ring out beautifully.

One should not underestimate the choice of guitar brand, type and strings to make it even more fun to pick up the guitar and play some notes ...

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2019, 01:20:41 pm »
Hi DanniT,

We going through seasons like this in our life. All the suggestions I read are great (even though I didn't get through all of them). Little ones are tough and require your attention almost 100% of the time. I have three older ones now... it does get better.

When mine were little I literally had to learn guitar sitting in my car during lunch at work. It was quiet, I could focus, and I practiced for up to 30 minutes. I'm in Texas and we have to pretty much drive everywhere, your reality might be different in the UK.

As somebody suggested, learning kids song is really a good way to squeeze in some fun with them. If you make the guitar part of the fun, there is a good chance you might raise a jam buddy in about 10 years.

This happened with my 13 year old. He is in love with guitar and practices at least an hour a day. Last night I spent over an hour with him jamming...he even taught me to play the solo to Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" so yeah, I now have a young guitar teacher in my house now. Ha!

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2019, 09:19:58 am »
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate everyone's helpful tips, and comments, but also it shows I'm not alone in trying to achieve a bit of balance in life where having a hobby like guitar is achievable in busy times in life like having young children.

Part of it is realising I'm not a young whipper-snapper with free time and less responsibilities... Some of the older members here will identify with me when I say you always think of yourself in the same way throughout your life and when you age, you still feel the same person, so it's a bit of a shock when you realise you are older with less energy, more responsibilities, and more wrinkles

What I'm trying to say is that I'm at peace with where I'm at in life at the moment: I'm not feeling guilty about not picking up the guitar when I'm dead tired after working a full day and also looking after small kids. Forcing it leads to not enjoying it, and when I'm tired I don't play well in any case.

But positive things I'm doing:  having fortnightly Skype guitar lessons with a teacher to keep me on track, we are working on a set of songs to improve; I'm on to level 7 if Justin's course; and.... Drum roll... I'm trying to learn Rock Lobster by the B52s for the next Justin comp. A song that makes me happy everytime I hear it.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

My guitar collection (so far):
LH Taylor GS Mini
LH Fender Squier Stratocaster (60s vibe)
VOX Pathfinder Amp
Pedals: Boss Super Chorus CH-1

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 647
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2019, 09:14:28 pm »
Danni - now you're in line for a Justin Skype you're gonna have to make sure to make time to pre-plan what you what and then post-plan how you take take the golden moments as a spur and discipline to furthering your musicality.
Good luck.
:)
Go for it.
Take a bow.

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2019, 09:16:46 pm »
I'm still in complete shock!

Sent from my LG-H870DS using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

My guitar collection (so far):
LH Taylor GS Mini
LH Fender Squier Stratocaster (60s vibe)
VOX Pathfinder Amp
Pedals: Boss Super Chorus CH-1

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2019, 01:23:46 pm »
Congratulations Danni. For someone with ‘no time’ you’ve done really well. Enjoy your lesson with Justin, I’m sure it will be a fantastic experience.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎. Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Get The Forum As A Mobile App