Author Topic: No Time  (Read 619 times)

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
Re: No Time
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2019, 02:37:16 am »
I think you need to treat the guitar as your fun time, and relax on setting the kinds of goals you currently have.

Little and often is going to be more efficient that 1-2 hours a couple of times a week. It's easier to fit 10-20m in per day. You need to work out how to fit in , yet keeping it realistic.

Young kids take up a lot of time, but that's going to change, but also going to mean there will be periods of their growing up where you have even less time than you do now, and they'll take far more of your mental energy, than physical.

Offline beardo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2019, 08:41:33 pm »
Hi there, first time posting here.

I feel your pain totally. I had 2x little ones in two years, and life was very tough as one of them developed disabilities, both slept very badly, my wife and I had a bad patch and I had a high pressure job in tech which i struggled to hold down back then.

Perversely, during that period, playing and getting better at guitar was the thing that kept me going through it. Headphones into my Boss Katana solved the noise issue and I played almost every night for 2-3 hours no matter how tired i was and often at crazy hours.

However, now they are both at school full time and I have more time on my hands in the evenings, and in the day as I work at home a lot more, I am totally lost with playing and have lost all my focus, routine, determination and enjoyment of the guitar to the extent that I am constantly considering quitting for good and selling all my gear!

The irony is not lost on me! I am hoping that eventually something will click for me to rediscover it.

Stick with it as best you can because eventually your kids will sleep and settle down, and you will get more time on your hands. Just don't let yourself let it slip like I have and make the most of the 'you' time when you get it. I miss feeling that buzz from playing so much and am praying I can rediscover it  :(

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 12:22:50 am »
Danni

I'm also going through a time / motivation challenge at the moment. I'm down in the troughs after many peaks and can't seem to get out. All sorts going on and playing times seems to be eroded for what ever reason, real or perceived.  Some great advice here and I agree just grab some playing time whenever you can, even if its a 5 minute run for a song or two you know well. For me its struggling to keep to a regimented practice routine but I'm trying to just play when I can and not worry about progress. Making music of sorts is enough to keep going, even if its not everyday and in between the Brexit BS I'm suffering but playing is playing. Things will settle down and opportunities for a new consistent routine will return. Just keep chipping away as and when you can.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 06:43:50 am »
Hi there, first time posting here.

I feel your pain totally. I had 2x little ones in two years, and life was very tough as one of them developed disabilities, both slept very badly, my wife and I had a bad patch and I had a high pressure job in tech which i struggled to hold down back then.

Perversely, during that period, playing and getting better at guitar was the thing that kept me going through it. Headphones into my Boss Katana solved the noise issue and I played almost every night for 2-3 hours no matter how tired i was and often at crazy hours.

However, now they are both at school full time and I have more time on my hands in the evenings, and in the day as I work at home a lot more, I am totally lost with playing and have lost all my focus, routine, determination and enjoyment of the guitar to the extent that I am constantly considering quitting for good and selling all my gear!

The irony is not lost on me! I am hoping that eventually something will click for me to rediscover it.

Stick with it as best you can because eventually your kids will sleep and settle down, and you will get more time on your hands. Just don't let yourself let it slip like I have and make the most of the 'you' time when you get it. I miss feeling that buzz from playing so much and am praying I can rediscover it  :(
Thanks beardo.

I really hope you rediscover your passion.

It may have served as an escape during those hard years, and now those days are gone you don't need to seek that anymore.

I do feel there are peaks and troughs with learning an instrument so don't give up.

Feeling like I'm going backwards feels very frustrating right now when I was doing so well and I feel so far away from any goals it's disheartening

Sent from my LG-H870DS using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

My guitar collection (so far):
LH Taylor GS Mini
LH Fender Squier Stratocaster (60s vibe)
VOX Pathfinder Amp
Pedals: Boss Super Chorus CH-1

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2019, 09:41:50 am »
Danni

I'm also going through a time / motivation challenge at the moment. I'm down in the troughs after many peaks and can't seem to get out. All sorts going on and playing times seems to be eroded for what ever reason, real or perceived.  Some great advice here and I agree just grab some playing time whenever you can, even if its a 5 minute run for a song or two you know well. For me its struggling to keep to a regimented practice routine but I'm trying to just play when I can and not worry about progress. Making music of sorts is enough to keep going, even if its not everyday and in between the Brexit BS I'm suffering but playing is playing. Things will settle down and opportunities for a new consistent routine will return. Just keep chipping away as and when you can.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Thanks Toby, we seem to be in the same place at the moment (minus the Brexit stress for me!) I used to live in the UK so I'm following what is going on... What a palava is all I can say about that

Sent from my LG-H870DS using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

My guitar collection (so far):
LH Taylor GS Mini
LH Fender Squier Stratocaster (60s vibe)
VOX Pathfinder Amp
Pedals: Boss Super Chorus CH-1

Get The Forum As A Mobile App