Author Topic: 002 2019 Self Esteem (The Offspring, cover)  (Read 1253 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 437
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: 002 2019 Self Esteem (The Offspring, cover)
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2019, 11:03:38 am »
Great dynamics, strumming hand on a good flow of constant motion, superb vocal delivery, serendipitous room-reverb, good use of slow-mo strumming tempo and stops to emphasise and change the narrative and feel. Well done. Cradle that uke a little more good sir!

Offline brianlarsen

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2019, 06:47:05 pm »
Thanks Richard-

We all appreciate you giving up your Saturday morning to listen to our offerings and offer constructive criticism.
This will be another thread to revisit when I understand the finer points of all the technique suggestions on the other entries.

Lucky for me, the uke is just a hit & strum job, eh?  ;)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 437
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2019, 01:36:58 pm »
Thanks Richard-

We all appreciate you giving up your Saturday morning to listen to our offerings and offer constructive criticism.
This will be another thread to revisit when I understand the finer points of all the technique suggestions on the other entries.

No probs.
It was more than a Saturday morning truth be told.
I listen to all entries at their time of upload and often give a repeat listening even before I come to listen in earnest.
Then for each entry I will listen / watch two - three - four times so as best to pick up on any fine detail, technical issues and hidden pleasures.
I feel that anything else would lead to cursory encouragement and comment on my part. I strive to give at least one piece of constructive criticism that the recipient can benefit from.
And, as you suggest here, so can the wider forum community gain some hints and tips - whether at the time or at a later date.

It does take a large investment of time I must be honest.

The pay-off for me?

I enjoy it.

I learn a lot myself from analysing and critiquing other people's playing.

It improves my ability to fulfil my role as a face-to-face teacher so I can better teach my (modestly small number of) private students.

:) :) :)

Offline brianlarsen

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2019, 02:48:07 pm »
Quite right, Richard  :)
You get out what you put in.
(I wonder what my payback will be, having spent the morning watching my son's footy team get hammered 15 -1 in the rain?  ;))

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2019, 05:07:51 am »
Dang that was an explosion of confidence and showmanship right there! Agree with David. You're open mic ready! Punk on uke sounds as rebellious as punk itself. You did a good job Brian! More please! :)

Offline brianlarsen

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2019, 12:14:46 pm »
Thanks Bala!  ;D
Glad you enjoyed

Offline phx1973

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2019, 08:50:21 pm »
Not much I can say about this that hasn't already been said, Brian. Enjoyed your entry on multiple levels. Skills, passion, energy, humor...it was all there. I would have even cheered at an open mic. haha.
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline brianlarsen

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2019, 08:43:37 am »
@ Tosh
... aah, but you took the time to listen and comment.
Much appreciated  8)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App