Author Topic: Help with an inexpensive condenser mic  (Read 949 times)

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
Help with an inexpensive condenser mic
« on: August 31, 2019, 08:23:36 pm »
Hello all,

Some of you will think I just appeared.  Others will know I appeared again after disappearing.  Long, strange road. 

Here's the question from the void.  I am recording an album and have been asked to get a condenser mic.  My producer is far, far away so I can't borrow one of his.  I'm attaching a vocal sample if that will help with suggestions.  My budget is negative, but I will get the money somewhere.  Can you still sell blood?

https://soundcloud.com/pattroise/dinner-at-eight-demo/s-R5BAP

Realism is relative.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Re: Help with an inexpensive condenser mic
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 12:13:38 am »
Like the inclusive White Rabbit Pat appears the disappears.

Wow that's a new direction from your previous recordings. But hey I liked the overall feel and story.
So the question is, why is the producer asking for a condenser ? What do they want to achieve ?
I'm sure but I'm no expert, that given that vocal you posted, there are many and varied vst plugins that could be used to enhance your sound (don't no why that's needed to be honest, sounds good to me).
So why ask you to change the mic ? He's a producer, so say hey do your job and pull it together with what you got.

Failing that ping Roman/Schlaffenwagen he'll get you sorted production wise.

Good to see you back Pat.

Cheers

Toby
 8)

Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 01:55:31 am »
Hey Toby!

That's song's not what I'm doing!!   It's just a singing exercise!  It's a Rufus Wainwright tune, I'm flattered you would think I could have written it!   I have to sit on all the other eggs.. I mean songs.. until they hatch.  I  only sent it as a voice sample.  Lol.

My producer is wonderful. Full stop.  I have a feeling he could work with what I've got.  (understatement). I brought up the mic at first cuz I thought I could borrow one from a friend. No dice. He's heard a ton of material from me and I'm sure he wants me to get the best result possible.  If you heard the tracks he's put together for my songs you'd be telling me to get it  together.   ;)

I love Schlaffenwagen   We've been in touch and I'm sure we'll do something in the future.  I should be done with this early winter.

I'm probably going to look for something used. My home studio is off an alley and quiet but not soundproof. Plus it's in a city apartment.   I'm thinking I need one of those hyper cardioid mics?   

I appreciate the support and the shout out.  I've been down the rabbit hole a long, looooong time.  It's been pretty solitary.
Realism is relative.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 02:18:06 am »
Nice track! Did you play piano or vocals only?

You probably can't just get a large diaphragm condenser mic and call it a day. None of this music gear stuff is a one shot deal, like "I'll just get one guitar/pedal/amp and be all set." You'll need a mic stand, XLR cable, audio interface (with phantom power) and a computer with a DAW. Maybe there are decent USB condenser mics out there, but I can't speak to that.

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 04:15:49 am »
Nice track! Did you play piano or vocals only?

You probably can't just get a large diaphragm condenser mic and call it a day. None of this music gear stuff is a one shot deal, like "I'll just get one guitar/pedal/amp and be all set." You'll need a mic stand, XLR cable, audio interface (with phantom power) and a computer with a DAW. Maybe there are decent USB condenser mics out there, but I can't speak to that.

Thanks. Vocals only. My friend Charlie did the playing. 

Thank God I have a whole studio setup.  The mic would be a new acquisition. 
Realism is relative.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 154
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 02:44:30 pm »
Hi Pat, welcome back! good to hear from you!

I haven't been checking mics for a long time but sometimes you can do a good deal if you are aware of a certain drawback that mic has.
I would chack for large diaphragm mics; up to you whether it needs to be omni directional or not.

Articles like these are helpful
https://acousticbridge.com/best-cheap-condenser-microphones/
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 02:45:43 pm »
In that case I can recommend the Behringer B-2 PRO mic. It's a very flexible mic and I've been happy with it so far. It's more of a high value mic than an inexpensive one --in that it is selectable as cardioid, omnidirectional or figure eight pickup pattern. Three mics in one.

Here's a track where I used it to record vocals, harmonica and rhythm guitar:
I'm Looking Through You
I almost always record guitar and vocals with it as a scratch track, and typically end up using the scratch track as the main track and just record other tracks later. The song above ended up being a mono recording for no particular reason. :)

The omnidirectional pattern works great as an ambient mic for picking up the full sound of a room when jamming with friends. I haven't gotten around to releasing any of those tracks yet. This is a to do.

The to do for the figure eight pattern is to use it along with another cardioid mic for an acoustic song. This video spells out the concept:

Hopefully some part of this is helpful for you or someone else. We don't discuss recording gear and techniques very often here. 

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 08:56:40 pm »
In that case I can recommend the Behringer B-2 PRO mic. It's a very flexible mic and I've been happy with it so far. It's more of a high value mic than an inexpensive one --in that it is selectable as cardioid, omnidirectional or figure eight pickup pattern. Three mics in one.

Here's a track where I used it to record vocals, harmonica and rhythm guitar:
[url=https://soundcloud.com/user-35496968/im-looking-

Very nice cover. Sound clean too.   Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be checking it out.

Pat

Realism is relative.

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 10:51:12 pm »
After doing some homework I've decided to get an mxl v67G.  It's discontinued, price point went from $200 to maybe $80.  I might get a used one even. They  have some anniversary special edition that comes with a shock mount. 

My studio is fairly dead when there's no garbage truck going by and no dogs barking.  I do leatherwork and leather is very effective as a sound baffle. I have a cowhide covering my window.  I'm amazed how well it works (not to self -- new business making cowhide curtains).

The only question now is whether to get this thing.  I'm sure it's not a workhorse but it might do.  So would another piece of leather I suspect. Maybe a sheepskin.

Neewer Tabletop Compact Microphone Isolation Shield with Tripod Stand, Mic Sound Absorbing Foam for Studio Sound Recording, Podcasts, Vocals, Singing, Broadcasting (Mic and Shock Mount Not Included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N3SX1RL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_aMyBDb0FZG6P3]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 01:01:35 pm by LievenDV »
Realism is relative.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 154
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 01:04:49 pm »
looks a good deal; especilly for that price.
It is supposed to be an interesting value/price mic.

btw, I fixed your link
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Get The Forum As A Mobile App