Author Topic: First Open Mic  (Read 3252 times)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
First Open Mic
« on: August 30, 2019, 05:20:01 pm »
I finally found an opportunity to give an Open Mic performance ago.  I guess when I was ready the opportunity was ready to be discovered :)

I played 4 songs.  Three below with the third posted over in the current Contest.  These three are all from my standard repertoire and have been shared before over on SoundCloud. The contest song is an original, so please do go over and give it a watch if you don't usually look at those posts (there some other great performances there as well). 

In doing that I found how to develop more anxiety to induce mistakes and make the body shake, shorten breathe and totally dry out the mouth.  But I survived and made a second appearance last night. 

Why was this kept under wraps ... well I wanted video to share rather than just describing the experience.  Finally collected the memory stick with the video of each song last night. 

No prizes for pointing out the major blooper ... but pleased that I was able to regain composure and play on rather than falling apart.

Apart from the wonderful music ... fair to say, all the other musicians play at levelsd I am working towards, still to reach ... I am learning a lot watching these live performances (of others and my own).  And making lots of new and encouraging friends.

Offline b1rdland

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 54
Re: First Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 05:36:59 pm »
Wow David! Wow! ‘kin awesome! What you did takes balls man. You sounded great, nice and confident, guitar excellent, vocals controlled clear and tuneful.  You have made such rapid progress, I feel really pleased for you, all the hard work is paying off. Well done my friend!
My music https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/angel-heart-2
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/illuminate-2
Gibson es335 - Fender Telecaster Professional
Taylor GS Mini-e
The Big Trees > Orange PPC112

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 07:06:42 pm »
Great stuff David, the ice is now broken you did it and you did it really well.

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 08:04:40 pm »
Absolutely fantastic! I wouldn't have said it was your first Open Mic, you look very comfortable, and play steadily without hiccups. Really well done!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 04:27:29 am »
What a wonderful progression David.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline max_mue

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
    • YT-channel
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 08:57:36 am »
Yeah David! Way to go :)
Congratulations and thanks for all the impressions you are sharing with us :)
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

maxmue.wordpress.com

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 12:38:37 pm »
Congrats David on taking that big step. I tip my hat to you folks who can stand up in front of strangers and perform like that. Well done David.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 02:29:18 pm »
Excellent David! I haven't watched them all yet, but wanted to comment and say I understand about the anxiety. I experienced all of those things when I played in front of people for the first time this week. You looked very comfortable and I wouldn't know you weren't. Well done!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 08:24:06 pm »
David I'm so impressed. These are really polished performances and there's something I'm getting from the live vibe that I don't get from SoundCloud. I love it.

I'm so glad you did open mic. I hope you enjoyed it and I hope you keep going. If you ever your the UK let me know.

Sent from my SM-A530F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 02:22:39 am »
Wow David! Wow! ‘kin awesome! What you did takes balls man. You sounded great, nice and confident, guitar excellent, vocals controlled clear and tuneful.  You have made such rapid progress, I feel really pleased for you, all the hard work is paying off. Well done my friend!
Cool beans, DP! I'll second everything that @b1rdland pointed out. You have every reason to be proud. :)

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 06:15:09 am »
I also meant to say really good muted hit. Looks like you've really got that nailed.

Sent from my SM-A530F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline OpsRes

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2019, 02:41:39 pm »
David, Great big congrats to you. The performance was fantastic and you looked so comfortable (although I'm sure that it didn't feel like at the time.)
It's going to be great when we're all able to say "I was listening to him back before he made it to the  big time!"

Cheers,
Glen

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 02:46:59 pm »
Thank you all for such wonderful complimentary and encouraging comments.  I really do appreciate the time you take, the support you give me ... it is such an integral, invaluable part of the adventure that is learning to play guitar, to record and now perform.  I can never thank you enough, truly.

I can't lie ... it was scary to stand up that first time, but the audience was so supportive and encouraging ... much like everybody here.  And I expect that is true around the world of audiences at Open Mics.  And it was not as bad ... still stressful ... the second time.  So I plan to keep doing it and am confident it will get better and better over time.

Hilts, based on all the recordings we have seen of you, I am sure you have the musical ability.  I think stepping up is all in the mind once one has reached that ability level.

Lynn, would love to hear more of your experience ...

Gareth, would be wonderful to meet-up if I ever get to the UK again.  Will be sure to broadcast that here should it happen.  And I reckon I will slowly migrate off SoundCloud and over to YT, aiming to make videos of me playing whenever I can ... though not videos like Kevin aka Cagn makes :)

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2019, 05:22:25 pm »
That was so great David, wow! Really enjoyed all 3, after the gold rush being the stand out for me. I love multi-track productions, but this kind of campfire / coffee house playing was my initial attraction to the guitar. Good vibes to you for getting there, and having so much fun on the way.

Mari
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50, Vibro Champ XD
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2019, 05:53:09 pm »
That was so great David, wow! Really enjoyed all 3, after the gold rush being the stand out for me. I love multi-track productions, but this kind of campfire / coffee house playing was my initial attraction to the guitar. Good vibes to you for getting there, and having so much fun on the way.

Mari

Thanks so much, Mari.  I'm with you ... so enjoyable to listen to a solo artist with just a guitar.  Or I suppose if you are Dylan, Springsteen, Young ... guitar and harmonica.  And I love After the Goldrush ... good for me since Neil plays it on the piano, so don't feel as inadequate playing an intrepretation on guitar  ;)

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2019, 06:04:40 pm »

Lynn, would love to hear more of your experience ...

Don't want to hijack your thread, and it's not a very happy story, but since you asked. I played in a hospice room for my dying friend. It was very sad, and very moving. He always wanted to see me play live, so I put my fear aside and did it (I wasn't planning to, a music therapist brought me her guitar when I told her I played). Not my best singing due to the crying, but I'm really, really glad I did it. He died yesterday.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2019, 09:45:17 pm »

Don't want to hijack your thread, and it's not a very happy story, but since you asked. I played in a hospice room for my dying friend. It was very sad, and very moving. He always wanted to see me play live, so I put my fear aside and did it (I wasn't planning to, a music therapist brought me her guitar when I told her I played). Not my best singing due to the crying, but I'm really, really glad I did it. He died yesterday.

Thank you for sharing,  Lynn, at once heart-warming and heart-breaking all at the same time. Sure it was special for your friend and may the gift you gave him be of some cimfort now, in this hardest of times. Take care.

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2019, 09:56:49 pm »
Thank you, David. It was really special.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2019, 07:39:58 am »
Wow very cool David. To get out and play live and perform is what music meant for. You did really well. Some hiccups I guess is expected at this stage (even the pros make hiccups), you did really good continuing playing and singing. Congrats to a fine performance!
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2019, 08:32:53 am »
Wow very cool David. To get out and play live and perform is what music meant for. You did really well. Some hiccups I guess is expected at this stage (even the pros make hiccups), you did really good continuing playing and singing. Congrats to a fine performance!

Thanks Johan. 

It was a wonderful experience and now just the next step to work on, to become comfortable.  Just like everything else in this adventure.  The first attempts at anything are challenging and as you persevere it gets better.

Based on all the videos you post, you are quite able to do the same.  And based on what you say about music, I hope you'll have opportunity to give it a go, when you feel ready.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 156
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2019, 07:56:48 am »
Hi,
Nice work... worth the wait I think as the video and sound are very good, all things considered!

I am not sure what order these went off in. I started at the bottom and worked up. The first video (at the bottom) you seemed relaxed possibly in face but the body language was sort of like you a bit up tight. But by the time I got to the last vid at the top you looked to be enjoying yourself and all that herky jerky stuff seemed gone to me. So good progression in that regard right there.

If you want my honest opinion on this one, here it is. I think your play is good. But many folks are going to look past that and listen to your vocals, even more so "live". I think it would be a huge step forward if you were to seek out a voice coach. You don't have to dedicate yourself to it for years. No, I am thinking maybe just a few lessons to get the exercises down, learn a few things and man, it might really make a huge difference. Mind you, your pitch and such to my ears sounds pretty good. Just consider the lessons as polishing up something that is nice but could really shine with a bit of work. I know your thoughts on this one as we have talked about it. But reflect on these words and think of it as a total package. If you want to project and put for a total act so to speak... the area you could most influence to my ears might be the vocals...

I took one voice lesson recently and it really opened my eyes. I was saturated with information. In fact I will go back, record it this time and ask to do it basically over again. That is how much was shared and I thought I forgot most of it as the memory is simply not what it once was. But in fact I kept a lot of it and find it both valuable and it makes me want to return for some more lessons...  One thing is certain, LB realizes not only the guitar has to improve on this end, but the vocals can use a stiff shot of redemption as well.

Great performance, you living the dream and next you may find a band opportunity comes your way? Or maybe you and your wife will be the gig to go with???

All the best and keep rocking it down.
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2019, 10:40:40 am »
Hi,
Nice work... worth the wait I think as the video and sound are very good, all things considered!

I am not sure what order these went off in. I started at the bottom and worked up. The first video (at the bottom) you seemed relaxed possibly in face but the body language was sort of like you a bit up tight. But by the time I got to the last vid at the top you looked to be enjoying yourself and all that herky jerky stuff seemed gone to me. So good progression in that regard right there.

If you want my honest opinion on this one, here it is. I think your play is good. But many folks are going to look past that and listen to your vocals, even more so "live". I think it would be a huge step forward if you were to seek out a voice coach. You don't have to dedicate yourself to it for years. No, I am thinking maybe just a few lessons to get the exercises down, learn a few things and man, it might really make a huge difference. Mind you, your pitch and such to my ears sounds pretty good. Just consider the lessons as polishing up something that is nice but could really shine with a bit of work. I know your thoughts on this one as we have talked about it. But reflect on these words and think of it as a total package. If you want to project and put for a total act so to speak... the area you could most influence to my ears might be the vocals...

I took one voice lesson recently and it really opened my eyes. I was saturated with information. In fact I will go back, record it this time and ask to do it basically over again. That is how much was shared and I thought I forgot most of it as the memory is simply not what it once was. But in fact I kept a lot of it and find it both valuable and it makes me want to return for some more lessons...  One thing is certain, LB realizes not only the guitar has to improve on this end, but the vocals can use a stiff shot of redemption as well.

Great performance, you living the dream and next you may find a band opportunity comes your way? Or maybe you and your wife will be the gig to go with???

All the best and keep rocking it down.
LB

Thanks very much for the encouraging feedback and comments, LBro.

The order was actually the other way:

Janes S Piddy
Dead Flowers
Free (video posted over in the Jul-Sep contest)
After the Goldrush

To be honest, I felt stressed all the way through ... just relieved to reach the end of each song without too many big bloopers.

As for comments, I appreciate honest.  And I couldn't agree with you more.  I think for now I get by with my singing and no doubt some deliberate practice would certainly lead to improvement.  For now I feel that I have enough on my plate, so singing lessons on the back burner. 

But if things progress to doing more than Open Mics for the fun and learning and more towards stepping up to working towards more gigs when the audience expect, rightfully, a more polished, accomplished performance then I think singing lessons would be a must.

Not sure about bands.  I think it would be fun but I know it would be time-consuming.  So if it were ever to happen then I think I would want Lesley to want to be in the band as well.

But I have started talking to about appearing together at the Open Mic events.  Like my first step, her first will be to come along and get a sense of things.  I am lucky that I have been on stage to delver conference speeches, delivered lots of training courses etc so am ok with being in front of an audience.  Just performing music for me is more challenging than training, speeches.  Lesley did play in her church as a youngster ... so knows from experience about nerves but as I pointed out also knows that she can do it.  So we shall see...me on the guitar, her on the uke and some kind of deal singing together in some way is I think the next medium term goal.

SLightly longer term, the people who host the Open Mic events also have Closed Mic events.  So who knows, maybe I will reach a level where I can be invited to play at one of those.  That would be a big step up as those events are not in the cosy bar, they are in a big room with a stage and an audience of probably 100-200 people.  But, hey with practice, why not.

Meanwhile, just to carry on practising, recording and producing and now performing, and enjoy the adventure.

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2019, 09:37:04 pm »
The monthly competition thread brought me here 
... and I am not disappointed.
R.e.s.p.e.c.t.  8)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2019, 09:49:46 pm »
The monthly competition thread brought me here 
... and I am not disappointed.
R.e.s.p.e.c.t.  8)

Thanks ever so much, Brian, really do appreciate your support and encouragement.

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2019, 11:21:02 pm »
Great performances, David!  I could tell the audience enjoyed you. On the last one I watched, I could hear one or two people singing along with you.  The ultimate compliment IMO.  The setup at that open mike looked very nice. Nice lighting, simple, pleasing stage, at least of what could be seen in the video. The sound was very well done. So very proud of you.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Get The Forum As A Mobile App