Author Topic: 2019 Cover #28 (End Of A Century)  (Read 708 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019 Cover #28 (End Of A Century)
« on: August 19, 2019, 09:56:13 pm »
Great song from Blur, last single released from the classic Parklife album released in 1994.

This was a difficult one and need much more work. Both playing and singing are a bit off. But I will drop this one now and go on in my covers list. Maybe I can return to it in a year or something when I gotten better, cause its a fun one to play and sing.

Its not all bad though I think. There is some potential and some parts works ok. But some parts are really tricky. Timing in the intro and bridge (the "can you eat here" part) are off. Bar chords I have a problem of bending the strings upwards. Need to work with correcting that. Great practice to play this song though. 

https://youtu.be/fgEFtjvC_00
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 638
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: 2019 Cover #28 (End Of A Century)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 07:09:03 am »
And the mighty Joerfe cover-song juggernaut rumbles on.
Kudos and good vibes once again for continuing to improve and document this remarkable song-a-week project.
:)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 07:43:17 am »
Not bad at all, Johan. Looks a tricky one, so well done on learning to play it all the way through.

Yes, a couple of moments not quite as smooth as the rest. And the intro with those single strums repeated again feels awkward to me. Don't know the song at all, so no idea how it is played by the full band. Maybe play around with your own take on one acoustic guitar.

That said, you did well on the barre chords. Smooth changes and chords ringing out sweetly.

So I'd say lots to be pleased about and a few small things needing attention to bring up to the standard of the bulk of the song and performance.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 09:43:39 am »
Thanks David and Richard!

The intro is played on a single guitar with some keyboards also, both on the record and when they played live. I agree it does not work for me. I think it should be played in 3/4 time (maybe also the bridge), while the rest of the song is in 4/4 time. Not sure though, need to listen and look closer to what Graham Coxon (the guitarist) is doing. I am not sure what I am doing, I think I tried to play it in 4/4 time, but does not sound well.

Its a tricky one, I will give it a rest and return to it later. Love this song.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Get The Forum As A Mobile App