Author Topic: My initial approach to playing modes  (Read 1384 times)

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
Re: My initial approach to playing modes
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2019, 09:42:50 am »
Things I've learned from this thread

Using the minor pentatonic pattern caused confusion for everybody but me. I wasn't playing Em pentatonic but just using the shape because I was comfortable with it.

All the notes in the Em pentatonic scale are also in the key of D major. The missing notes are F# and C#, the third and the 7th of D major. When I moved the position to other frets the missing notes and their position in the scale change. This is theoretically interesting but best left for another day.

To play a parallel mode and make it sound like that mode I add the notes from the relevant major scale the mode is based on that are not included in the D major scale. 

I now know how to identify modes in parallel for the D major scale. With a bit of thought I can transpose these modes to other major scales.

I've played a melody in D Phrygian

The chord of love (the major 7th) sounds anything but if you play the 7th note of the scale in the bass as a melody note over a D major. You can hear this in the first track I posted.

Now I have a basis of playing parallel modes so I should explore them by playing the guitar.

I think that's more than enough thinking for now.

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2019, 01:28:52 pm »
All 7 modes fit into the same major scale.  Imagine drawing all the notes of the major scale out on the fretboad, then splitting that fretboard into 7 sections, with each section being a different mode.

It takes all 7 modes to make up the the full major scale because then it starts over.  It works just like the pentatonic scale in that regard (except the pentatonic being only 5 'patterns' (because there are only 5 notes)).

Observe this picture.  Observe there are 7 modes.  Observe that all the same notes are represented in each mode with different starting notes.  Realize it's just a way to organize.

If you pretend this picture is displaying the C Major scale, you will realize that if you call out the notes on the on the bottom string you can call out the scale and find no sharps or flats anywhere because every note within these 7 sections are ALL make up the C Major scale.  You'll see that each note on the E string is the first note of each mode as well (with the arrows pointing at them).

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 01:53:37 pm by Endureth »

Offline Gregg Hermetech

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Mastering Engineer
    • Hermetech Mastering
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2019, 09:25:11 am »
I've been working solidly on Modes for the last few months, with the help of my friend Andy who has uploaded a 20 episode video series to help me out. It's been incredible so far. So much to get your head around, but so worth it. It has totally started to tie everything together for me, keys, notes, intervals/frets, chords, scales, arpeggios, transcribing, song writing, working out chords to fit a melody etc.

I've just finished learning all the Mode shapes, and am starting the "Putting it all together" this week. As an adjunct to Justin's stuff it has been great. You can find the vids here, starting with "Modes 1":

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV75VydqwbkKxMB4Gu1v_BQ/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

Get The Forum As A Mobile App