Author Topic: Taylor 214CE vs Seagull Maritime SWS vs Taylor 114CE  (Read 1220 times)

Offline RyAngel

• Good Vibes 0
Taylor 214CE vs Seagull Maritime SWS vs Taylor 114CE
« on: August 15, 2019, 07:39:14 am »
Hey guys,

I am planning to buy a new guitar, I ended up my choices into below three. Need some suggestion and comments.

1) Seagull Maritime SWS
2) Taylor 214CE / 214E
3) Taylor 114CE / 114E

I am using Baby Taylor, I used to practice chord, but I am planning to learn fingerstyle.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 08:55:00 am by RyAngel »

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
  • What was I doing?
Re: Taylor 214CE vs Seagull Maritime SWS
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 08:18:31 am »
Both are great guitars, but having owned one I don’t think that the 214 CE is worth the extra money over the 114 CE, maybe worth looking for a used 314 CE.
Where about are you? Andertons in the UK are doing a really great range of guitars from a relatively unknown brand called Sire they have an all solid woods guitar similarly configured to the 214 CE new for £699 and a Sungha Jung signature model for the same price, having played one quite recently if you’re in the UK or can get to look at one they are in my opinion better than both you have considered.

My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline RyAngel

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Taylor 214CE vs Seagull Maritime SWS
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 08:50:58 am »
Re:
Hi Darrell, thank you so much for your suggestion. I come from Macau, I didn't see we have Sire in my city.
May I ask for one more suggestion, how about Taylor 114CE vs Seagull Maritime SWS?? Which one would you recommend?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
  • What was I doing?
Re: Taylor 214CE vs Seagull Maritime SWS vs Taylor 114CE
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 10:08:06 am »
If you can't get a Sire then the Seagull every time, the 114 CE is solid top and laminate sides and back the Seagull is all solid woods. The Seagull will sound richer and mature as it gets older and used more, but regardless of my thoughts you must go and handle them.and perhaps a few others for comparison and get the one that you gel with, it doesn't matter how good it is, if you don't gel with it you will regret buying it long term.
The thing to consider is that you will most likely need to protect what ever you buy from extremes of ambient conditions, low humidity and high temperatures can damage the instrument, looking at the conditions on the internet it shouldn't be too much of a problem, however if you have air conditioning you might need to watch the humidity (don't let it get too dry).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 04:51:33 pm by DarrellW »
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 02:12:16 pm »
Hi,
Have to agree with Darrell on many points. Though I have a Taylor 12 string and it is a very nice guitar. It is up a bit further in price though and should be just what I said.

I don't know the Seagull much at all. But comments here, while possibly helpful are no substitute for playing the guitars as suggested. Once you play them, what is said here fades and you will know which to get. Playing other guitars is a great idea too as you may end up with something you did not consider.

Necks are such a fickle thing and really have to be played to consider them and what feels best in the hand.

One thing I will say about the Seagull is that at that price point you can toss in a case and humidifier if needed. You did not mention what you going to do in this area???

So in summary: Play, Play and Play some more to be sure...

All the best and welcome to the forum! I hope you stick around and let us know what you ended up with.

Rock it down,
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 03:55:41 pm »
The Seagull Maritine SWS is a way better guitar both in price and sound than
both Taylor guitars you've listed. SWS stands for Solid Wood Series and these
guitar play way above their price range. Will be a keeper for life.

With inexpensive Taylors half of the price you pay is in the name.

Offline roulbac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 10:51:30 am »
Choosing the Seagull is a no brainer for me

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 11:48:11 am »
Hey guys,

I am planning to buy a new guitar, I ended up my choices into below three. Need some suggestion and comments.

1) Seagull Maritime SWS
2) Taylor 214CE / 214E
3) Taylor 114CE / 114E

I am using Baby Taylor, I used to practice chord, but I am planning to learn fingerstyle.

Hate to make this more confusing. From all I read here, the Seagull sounds like a great guitar and even better at the price point it is at. But if one were willing to spend the money USD for the Taylor, then I would consider the guitar I ended up with. I can tell you it plays like a dream to me, almost playing itself. I bought it for many reasons, but one was the incredible DI (Direct In) tones it gets when ran into an AI (Audio Interface). It also has great acoustic tones too and is well suited to finger picking.

The guitar is a Takamine EF341SC and the street price should be right around $1100 USD, give or take:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EF341SC--takamine-ef341sc-black.

That price for me included a full plush lined hard shell case too and was purchased from the retailer above.

If you have Takamine guitars there, play the EF341SC and see what you think... If you like it, ask to play it amplified too... I don't think you will be disappointed either way. For me it is all the acoustic guitar I will ever need. Hard to see one outgrowing this guitar as it has future proof built in... Bruce Springsteen has found this model has worked well for him over the decades as well, FWIW.

All my best as you rock on!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline lecheval

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 07:14:53 pm »
I spent a lot of time trying out those guitars about 6 months ago when I was shopping for my acoustic. Here's what it ended up boiling down to for me:

The difference between a laminated acoustic and a solid wood was significant. I could feel the whole thing vibrate more strongly and it sounded better to my ear.

The Seagull SWS sounded and played great and was a ton of bang for the buck.

The Taylor 300 series solids became my favourite sound to play in the shop, but the Seagull SWS at less than half the price was my #1 contender because the difference wasn't that profound.

However, I ended up with a Taylor 314ce because by sheer luck a used one came into the shop at a massive discount because of some dings on it. Pffft! The dings and wear just mean the thing was loved - plays like a dream. So I got the 314 for about a grand, which pushed it ahead of the SWS simply because I wasn't considering it at anywhere near $2500-3k new.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App