Author Topic: First Guitar EVER New Bullet or Secondhand Affinity ?  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Yami

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: First Guitar EVER New Bullet or Secondhand Affinity ?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 07:59:41 pm »
A list !
That's exactly what I needed ! :)
Thanks ^____^

Tomorrow I will be evaluating the guitar ( the guy couldn't come today )
I have decided to buy the Cort after reading your posts !
But if any one of them had a problem or a defect , I will definitely take the other one

After buying the guitar I will use your list to find an amp that suits my budget.
One question though in the second list , u wrote older , what does that mean ?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 476
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2019, 08:09:55 pm »

One question though in the second list , u wrote older , what does that mean ?

Amps that have been discontinued / replaced by newer versions yet still represent good buys and good value on the 2nd hand market.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 11:40:30 am »
Wait I could do that ??  ( Coil Splitting )
I thought that has to be built in like the les paul Standard Pro with Probuckers

https://imgur.com/4ise3QY

https://imgur.com/ZmCZNDq

Neither of those came with any of the extra toggles, both were 'budget' guitars (before I spent hundreds of euros on pickups and other hardware, like the complete nutjob I am).
And you don't even have to use toggle switches, there are volume/tone pots that have push or pull switch mechanisms built in that you could use instead.
I just prefer toggles so I can visually confirm what I've set my guitar to.

(and yes, my guitars are really dirty right now, I played a few gigs over the summer, the sweat and dirt is really building up, plus dust from the storage between gigs  :-[ )

Is it expensive to do so ? and I definitely have to check with my local store since there isn't much guitar technology around here

How expensive it will be will depend on the guitar tech and how easy it is for them to get the right hardware, so I honestly can't say, it varies too wildly between countries and even between cities sometimes.

But on the technical side, it's simple enough that if you know how to solder and use a drill, you could even do it yourself.
The only potential issue is the Cort's pickups; humbucker pickups can have either two, three or four wires, and you'd need three or four to be able to coil split.
Thankfully replacement pickups don't have to be expensive, and there are plenty of budget brands that sound excellent, even at low prices.

Offline Yami

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2019, 04:46:07 pm »
I love your guitars !

Thanks for the tip regarding Coil Splitting!  I had no idea that I could that ^__^

I will definitely do it later on to increase my versatility ;)

One last thing though U mentioned 2 , 3 ,4 wires pickups , I tried to google cr250 pickups to see how many wires they have but no luck
Any idea how could I find that ?
If they are 2 wires though, it won't be a problem I do intend to change the pickups later on .

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2019, 02:04:51 am »
Ask, and thou shalt receive : https://www.cortguitars.com/product/item.php?ca_id=101010&it_id=72&page=1#tab_Specifications
If you download the schematics from that page, you'll see that it looks like the pickups are two conductor (two regular wires, and one ground)
I also forgot to mention three conductor is rarely used, it's generally either two or four conductor (technically three and five wires respectively, if you count the ground wires)

From the reviews though, they seem to be nice pickups for blues and jazz styles.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2019, 07:25:28 am »
Definitely nice for jazz and blues, they had one in a shop reasonably local to me so curiosity got the better of me and I went to have a look at it; it’s a good job I didn’t have my card with me or I would have been in serious trouble with her indoors!
All as I need to say is that you definitely will not go wrong buying the Cory, they are a superb instrument for the price and definitely outshine the others you were interested in, to get a telecaster as good you would have to buy a Classic vibe or MIM!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Yami

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2019, 02:53:57 pm »
Quick Update :

I decided to buy the cort but the guy simply disappeared :(

I ended up buying the Tele ( after decreasing the price by 40 bucks which was awesome ! )

And I bought Blackstar ID core V2 10W secondhand

Rn I doing stage 1 of the beginner course

Thanks guys for the help ! :)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 130
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2019, 03:15:42 pm »
Sounds like a win to me!

Happy New Guitar (and amp) day.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2019, 05:02:49 pm »
Great stuff, enjoy - I'm sure that you won't be disappointed with your Telecaster and amp, both pretty decent pieces of kit for a beginner 👍👍👍

Offline GermanGuitarNoob

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2019, 03:22:09 am »
Otherwise, the Fly is an OK amp to start with

Well. I am kidding a bit but this triggered me  ;D

The Fly is in my opinion the best Mini/Bedroom Amp of all time and an absolute bargain for beginners. Many people have reservations against those kinds of amps because they only know the Fender Frontman (which is the most horrible sounding thing I have ever heard) in that category.

That the Fly is in the same price bracket boggles my mind. It is sounding leagues better than anything else you can get for that price.

I am not getting paid by Blackstar  ;D

Btw.: I am really not aiming to diss the Telecaster but in the beginning of this thread I think you people here overselled it a bit concerning tones. Yes I saw the tons of videos you posted here trying to proof that a Tele can do any sound possible but you didn´t consider that they are playing them through giant valve amps and they likely changed the pick-ups.

One of the most annoying things in demos or reviews on the Internet is that people play instruments for beginners through a 100 W Marshall or even using boost-pedals or compressors. Even guys I normally like (Andertons) are guilty of that.

You have to consider that beginners are using cheap amps.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 05:01:59 am by GermanGuitarNoob »

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2019, 07:09:12 am »
I play my telecaster through a Blackstar BEAM without any pedals and find I can play sounding pretty good most genres, it’s not brilliant for metal but just about passable, the OP has the blackstar ID core 10 mk 2 so should be able to get the sounds he wants from it.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 130
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2019, 09:32:22 am »
The Fly is in my opinion the best Mini/Bedroom Amp of all time and an absolute bargain for beginners. Many people have reservations against those kinds of amps because they only know the Fender Frontman (which is the most horrible sounding thing I have ever heard) in that category.

If you are going by the size and price then, yes. But there are other better bedroom/practice amps. The BEAM and the ID Core range are two of them.

I have never heard the Frontman. Conversely I own a Fly so my statements were based on direct experience. It's OK and it's definitely not (as I said) a toy. It's a proper amp. But it is limited by it's size. Somehow Blackstar make it sound much bigger than it is, but it still sounds small compared with other, physically bigger, bedroom amps.

Bottom line is I would not recommend the Fly to someone as their first practice amp unless it really was the only option due to size and price.

If that's what you have and you love it, then that's fine too. It's certainly good enough (especially if you have the extension speaker) to be a capable practice amp.

It's an amazing travel amp.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90

Offline GermanGuitarNoob

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2019, 10:37:59 am »
If that's what you have and you love it, then that's fine too.

Well... love is not the right word. But I think that for this size and price you can get a phenomenal sound. I am quite happy with it... well... to be honest. Since I started the courses here on JustinGuitar I have some other needs and the Fly doesn´t quite do the job for that.

But there is a conundrum: I am not sure if I can ask this question here in this thread but the conversation went this way so I ask it here: I need a looper and I have to record myself.
I could Mic the Fly but I can´t play loud (the neighbours are a bit... difficult). So I need live feedback while I am recording AND having headphones on. So maybe I could buy a THR 10 from Yamaha. This seems to be one of the best reviewed amps I could find. It has a USB-output for recording.

But then again... it doesn´t work with a looper.

So is there an amp with a build in Looper and a recording output? For a budget of roughly 300€ (the calculator on the Internet says that this is 275 £ or 330 $)

Disclaimer: When it comes to technics I am a total noob. Maybe this is  a dumb question.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 11:19:41 am by GermanGuitarNoob »

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 130
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2019, 11:16:11 am »
But there is a conundrum: I am not shure if I can ask this question here in this thread but the conversation went this way so I ask it here:

Yes, it's moving away from the original topic. But no-one is going to get upset about this. These are very friendly forums, especially to beginner players who are asking relevant questions. If the off-topic part of this thread continues to grow then one of the mods might separate it off into its own thread, but that's about all that will happen.

So we can continue...

I need a looper and I have to record myself.

I'm assuming these are two separate requirements.

I could Mic the Fly but I can´t play loud (the neighbours are a bit... difficult). So I need live feedback while I am recording AND having headphones on. So maybe I could buy a THR 10 from Yamaha. This seems to be one of the best reviewed amps I could find. It has a USB-output for recording.

To record to the PC you can either Mic the amp or you can go in directly by plugging the line-out (or headphone out on the Fly) into the line in of an audio interface. You can probably connect the headphone out from your Fly into the line-in socket on a laptop. If you use a headphone splitter you can listen on headphones whilst you do this. You may need to play with the setup to get the levels right.

Alternatively, yes there are amps and other devices which will direct USB record.

But then again... it doesn´t work with a looper.

That is a major issue with most modelling amps and many non-modelling amps. You can use them with a looper but you will be restricted with what you can do. The problem comes because of the way the signal flow works which prevents the looper from recording the effected sound. To use the amp's onboard fx (including pre-amp gain) with a looper you need an amp with an "FX loop" and this is uncommon on smaller amps.

So is there an amp with a build in Looper and a recording output? For a budget of roughly 300€ (the calculator on the Internet says that this is 275 £ or 330 $)

In your position I would look an a separate multi-fx pedal. For the budget you have you can easily get a very good multi-fx pedal. Devices from Boss (GT-1), Zoom (G5n), Mooer (GE200) and Digitech (RP360XP) are the main ones to look at.

All of these devices will give you a bunch of common (as well as some weird and whacky) guitar FX pedals in a single unit. Many (the ones I indicated above) will also give you a simple looper (which works perfectly with the onboard fx) and will also act as a recording interface for a PC. You can plug the output of these units into your Fly amp or, if you want to use headphones, you can plug the headphones directly into the pedal itself.

All of these are under 300€, so are well within your budget. There are more expensive versions, but they are aimed at gigging musicians. There are also cheaper versions, but they don't offer all of the capabilities, like USB recording.

Note that most of the device I listed have an expression pedal.  There are sometimes cheaper models in the range which don't have an expression pedal but, in my opinion it's worth paying the extra to get one with an expression pedal.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline GermanGuitarNoob

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2019, 12:29:54 pm »
All of these devices will give you a bunch of common (as well as some weird and whacky) guitar FX pedals in a single unit. Many (the ones I indicated above) will also give you a simple looper (which works perfectly with the onboard fx) and will also act as a recording interface for a PC. You can plug the output of these units into your Fly amp or, if you want to use headphones, you can plug the headphones directly into the pedal itself.

OK. I go for the Boss. The ton of FX is  total overkill but buying another (bigger) amp would make even less sense considering that I play 99% of my time through headphones. I am well under budget and can buy some other things that I need.

You helped me a lot. Thank you very much.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App