Author Topic: Breedlove...did I make a mistake?  (Read 150 times)

Offline Voyager57

• Good Vibes 0
Breedlove...did I make a mistake?
« on: August 14, 2019, 01:37:04 am »
Hi...new member here. I’m a beginner and just purchased a new Breedlove Pursuit with a Cedar top. A beautiful and fairly inexpensive well made guitar. I plan on strumming and a little fingerstyle down the road. I was drawn to the Pursuit for its compact size, good reviews and good looks I’ve been reading about it and I hope I didn’t mess up. The Pursuit and Discovery have smaller necks and slightly narrow fingerboards than most in their class. About 2 1/16” wide at the 12 fret by my measurement. And the top to back of the necks have less depth. I’ve read the average male hand measures 7 1/4” from the wrist to the tip of the middle finger, mine is slightly over average at 7 1/2” and proportioned well. I know beginners struggle enough managing fingering and chords, my question....Is this guitar too small for me?  I love the darn thing and hate to have to return it. Thanks.

Offline simon3142

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
Re: Breedlove...did I make a mistake?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 08:00:21 am »
All beginners have trouble with fingering chords at first. It is very common for beginners to worry about the size of their hands.
According to the Breedlove website your guitar has a nut width of 1.69 inches which is well within the usual range of nut widths for acoustic guitars.
From this website:
https://sixstringacoustic.com/what-acoustic-guitar-neck-widths-are-there

By the way guitar neck widths are usually measured at the nut.

It looks as though you have a very nice guitar and I am sure that things will get better with practice.

Gear: Aparicio AA30, Ibanez AS103, Simon&Patrick Woodland Mini Jumbo, Cube X20
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/simon3142

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 08:10:38 am »
No problem with that guitar at all, take a look at the size of Ukuleles and the size of some of the guys and gals that play them!
It’s all part of learning to play, also for the opposite worry take a look at some of the youngsters who play full size guitars!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 434
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 08:25:56 am »
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a fine purchase of a good looking guitar.
You - and it - will be fine together.
:)

Offline Voyager57

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 11:33:27 am »
Thanks for the encouragement all. I think you’re right, it’s a needless worry. If the guitar is tighter spacing, it will only make me that much a better player. At least I don’t have Jimi size hands 😎

Get The Forum As A Mobile App