Author Topic: What guitar for learning blues?  (Read 154 times)

Offline Olympus

• Good Vibes 0
What guitar for learning blues?
« on: August 12, 2019, 04:52:34 pm »
Hey guys, I’m looking at learning electric guitar strictly for playing blues. I’m an acoustic guitar player, but pretty basic open chord stuff. I already have an amp to practice on, so I’m really just needed a guitar to start with. I have a budget of about $400, but less is always better.

Right now I’m looking at the Squier Bullet FSR Tele because it’s crazy affordable and on sale for $130. newbielink:https://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/Limited-Edition-Bullet-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar.gc [nonactive]

I’m also looking at the Squier Affinity Strat for $200. newbielink:https://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/Affinity-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar.gc [nonactive]

I’ve been looking locally for a used Fender MIM Strat, but I live in a rural area so it’s hard to find stuff like that.

What are everyone’s thoughts on either of the Squier models?  And what might some other options be for me to consider?  I have medium sized hands.

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
Re: What guitar for learning blues?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 04:58:45 pm »
You can play blues on any guitar. I'd forget about the Bullet though. They're...not very good.

Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 05:22:46 pm »
Bearing in mind that you are USA based take a look at the Monoprice guitars, CT on here has one of their Telecasters and reckons it's a great instrument for how much it costs; maybe he will chime in at some point!
Best advice is don't restrict yourself to any particular brands or models and above all don't buy unless you have picked them up and had a feel for playability and if you like the feel and sound, if you buy a guitar you don't gel with it's a recipe to flame and burn!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 434
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 10:19:32 pm »
... the Squier Bullet FSR Tele because it’s crazy affordable and on sale for $130. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/Limited-Edition-Bullet-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar.gc

... the Squier Affinity Strat for $200. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/Affinity-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar.gc

If you have $400 but would like to stay under if you can then do not settle for the cheapest end of your price range.

Avoid the bullet. Period.
You can afford better than the Affinity so buy better than the Affinity.

How much is a Squier Classic Vibe in your area?
Start or Tele CV would be miles better than those two you listed.

Even a Squier Standard would be a better choice (sitting between Affinity & CV).

The Affinity models can be okay though would definitely require some tech work from a local guitar tech to make them play at their best - factor in another $30-50 for that.

If you want a Strat or Tele shape then do what you were doing with patience - keep looking of r a MIM Fender.
In the US loads of these must come up for sale every week.

Or.

Look for G&L Tribute guitars.
G&L ASAT = Telecaster style.
G&L Legacy or S500 = Strat style.

And look 2nd hand G&L for enormous bang for your buck.

If you are not dead set on a strat / tele style then any guitar can play blues.
Literally.
Though you may not want pointy with a floyd rose tremolo.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 67
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 03:18:34 pm »
Yep, I'm a huge fan of the Monoprice Indio DLX tele. I think it's comparable to the squire classic vibe but is a better value. Comes setup out of the box.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App