Author Topic: Strat 7-way mod with dedicated bridge tone knob  (Read 97 times)

Offline jhob

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Strat 7-way mod with dedicated bridge tone knob
« on: August 12, 2019, 10:17:20 am »
So here's what I'm trying to do:

• Add a switch to my strat so that I can turn the bridge pickup on in the neck and neck/middle positions
  • Have a dedicated tone knob for the bridge with neck and middle sharing the other knob

I followed this tutorial, however the wiring isn't quite right.  What you end up with is a master tone knob that controls all pickups when the mod is turned on with the bridge tone knob not working at all. When the mod is turned off the tone knobs do work as expected.

So what I am proposing is to rewire it like this:

Which I think should work as it keeps separation at all times between the bridge and neck/middle.  My only doubt is if running the DPDT switch between bridge pickup input and volume out will work, will the tone pot and cap still do it's thing when the signal is being sent straight to volume pot out?

Do you reckon this will work?  Obviously I can test it out easily enough just trying to not got through the faff of pulling the guitar apart more times that I need to!

Offline simon3142

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
Re: Strat 7-way mod with dedicated bridge tone knob
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 08:19:00 am »
I am no expert on this kind of thing, but as far as I can see you will end up with two tone controls in parallel when you use the bridge pickup in combination with one/both of the other pickups. This will mean the tone controls will interact.
Capacitors in parallel are additive so you will have more capacitance in circuit which will affect treble. I am not sure how much this will matter to you, but you could try using a smaller capacitor for the bridge tone control.

Have you thought about switching out the bridge tone control using spare positions on your switch? But you would still have the double tone control when you uses bridge and middle on the 5 way switch.
Gear: Aparicio AA30, Ibanez AS103, Simon&Patrick Woodland Mini Jumbo, Cube X20
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/simon3142

Get The Forum As A Mobile App