Author Topic: Which of the Scales Most Practical to Learn for me  (Read 458 times)

Offline Lurnelecguitar

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Which of the Scales Most Practical to Learn for me
« on: August 10, 2019, 06:55:23 pm »
I am working on trying to improve my solo improvising. The music that appeals to me most is late 60's and 70's Rock. Some time ago I had memorized the 5 patterns of the Minor Pentatonic Scale. When the G Major Scale was introduced in Justin's course, shortly thereafter I memorizing one Pattern at a time (17 notes each) of the Major scale. It was then I began using them to learn to solo - first with one pattern, then the next, and so on until I could move from one to the next, focusing primarily on the bottom 3 strings. 

Based on my music preference and what I am trying to accomplish (solo improvisation), what would you recommend as being the most practical scale patterns for me to learn: 5 Patterns of the - A Major Pentatonic Scale, A Minor Pentatonic Scale, or the MAJOR scale?

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
Re: Which of the Scales Most Practical to Learn for me
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 07:34:30 pm »
You said you know the 5 pattern of both the A major and A minor penatonic scales.
Then you know all 12 keys of both those scales so I think a little theory about what
a root note is would benefit you the most. If you move either scale to a different
Root note you will be playing the M/m penatonic scale in that key.

As for the Major scale there are only 7 notes they repeat after 7.  It is also movable
so starting it on a different Root note will give you the major scale of that key.

After you have mastered moving the patterns around the fret board I'd suggest mixing
the minor and major pentatonic scales together.
With this under your fingers you will be off and running.

Almost forgot. Those 5 patterns all link together so you can run from one into the next
moving along the neck.

So I guess what I'm saying is you don't need to learn anymore scales just learn to use
the ones you already know. Also the Malor scale is the same as the Major pent with
2 added noted same with the minor scale and minor pent.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 09:14:00 am by close2u »

Offline Lurnelecguitar

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 03:17:09 am »
Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Offline 8livesleft

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 05:53:53 am »
Just learn the major scale. You can move it around to get different keys and modes and take some notes off for pentatonic.

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App