Author Topic: Help with simple Qing fei de yi chinese song about the F chord.  (Read 371 times)

Offline Guitarbest12

• Good Vibes 0
At 1.33 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFLc6SL5JCQ. He picked the 6th string for the F chord. but I thought the 6th string shouldn't be picked like the below image?

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
Re: Help with simple Qing fei de yi chinese song about the F chord.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 06:29:45 pm »
This is the way you learn the F chord but the are other ways people play it in that positions one of them being the thumb over technique.  I use that for most chords.   So the first fret on the 6th string if you haven't already learnt is an F note.   So when you learn bar chords that will be your root note for your F bar chord in that first position.   
So put that bar thing aside for minute.  Me personally if i'm playing that F chord you have in the diagram, my thumb will come over the 'top' side of the fret board and fret that low F note 1st fret 6th string.   So my chord voicing then have more low range.  So the F i'm fretting on the 6th string is an octave lower than the lowest F note if the chord you have pictured.   It will all make sense as you go along.   There are so many different voicing s or ways of constructing and playing chords.  So the F chord you learn in the beginning is part of your first set of chords you learn , open chords. It's good that you're noticing these things but try not let them worry you or anything, you learn in stages and it's for a reason i guess.  Hope that didn't confuse matters.

edit, i just realised you had a yt video i didn't watch it.. but i'm assuming that's what whoever the video guy is was doing.   It doesn't mean you can't play a normal, of course you can.

edit 2.  yep it was clear in the first 5 seconds that he was playing the F with the thumb over to catch the low F.   
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline Guitarbest12

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 12:51:20 pm »
At 6.55, he did a F#m on the 9th fret.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e6QZAvk5aI

But I thought the chord should be like this?

why didn't he nvr press on the second string for fret 10? And I wonder if his index finger is pressed on the 1st and 2nd string of the 9th fret. If the f#m can be played like this, it would be easier for me. So asking what is the correct way.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 445
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 01:08:08 pm »
The F#m chord is as you post in your graphic when played at fret 9.
It can be played as a 6-string barre chord at fret 2 also.
The player in this video is NOT playing F#m at either fret 2 or fret 9.
He is playing F# power chords only.
Three string chords using fingers 1, 2 and 3 of his fretting hand.

e --------------------------
B --------------------------
G ----------------- 11 -----
D -- 4 ------------ 11 -----
A -- 4 ------------ 9  -----
E -- 2 ---------------------

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 445
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 01:09:23 pm »
Note.
A power chord is neither Major nor minor and so can be used as a direct replacement for either type of chord - this is commonly done when the guitar is being played with overdrive / distortion.

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 01:13:51 pm »
There's more than one position for any chord. F#m requires playing F#, A, and C# notes (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Watch these vids.

https://www.justinguitar.com/modules/chord-shape-explorer
https://www.justinguitar.com/modules/caged-system
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App