Author Topic: Ear training difficulties  (Read 678 times)

Offline Kellard

• Good Vibes 1
Ear training difficulties
« on: August 08, 2019, 08:57:36 pm »
Hi,
I've been following Justin roughly a year and done the beginner course and a little of Music theory and I think it's great and a lot of fun. But I think the ear training exercises are really difficult. I've done them all so far but with little success and then it becomes a little tiresome. Now in the first Intermediate stage Ear Training exercise I could spot the most chord keys but only 2 major/minor was correct.
Probably I have a bad developed "music ears" and I really want to improve that area since the other parts of the learning journey is great. If someone has the same experience as me or just have tips how I should proceed to improve this I would really appreciate that. Maybe it's just to really struggle from the beginning again and put more time to it but if you have any tips please let me know..

Offline BabyBlue

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: Ear training difficulties
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 12:08:01 am »
Hi, I was hoping you'd received some responses and I'm sorry that I don't really have one except to sympathise!  I'm on stage 5 with all the 7 chords and the best I've done is 60% right.  And that's after about 10 runs through! So, just to let you know you're not alone and it seems it just takes lots of practise. Unless someone comes up with a brilliant suggestion.....

Offline Kellard

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 07:54:21 pm »
Thanks BabyBlue for your answer!
You're of course right about practice time.. I just felt a little frustrated and since last post I've been practicing different ways. One thing which is quite easy is using an app on the phone. I've notice an improvement so I will continue with the ear training exercises and also with the phone app.
Thanks again!

Offline Airmiles

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 02:47:08 pm »
Hi Kellard

This is an old-ish thread I know, hopefully this will be of use to some, though.

I, too, suffer from "untrained" ears - on a good day - and "poor" ones on a bad day - leading to lots of days where I feel like I'm doomed.

When I do "laboratory" tests my pitch is fine, but real-world is a different matter. To the extent I'm on beginner consolidation but have only just managed Justin #2.

But - here's what's made the difference for me:

1) focus on comparing just the root or bass note of the chord - once you know it's "an" E or "an" A, then you can worry about major, minor, sus2 etc.
This is important for guitar as many notes are shared in guitar e.g. E and A both have the high "e". Some advice on the internet says focus on the top or melody note - but that's for piano - where only the explicit chord notes are played. (In simple tunes)

Personally I'd been trying to recognise the whole chord at once - it's too hit and miss.

2) There's an app called "Functional Ear Trainer" by Kaizen9 apps which takes a totally different approach to the standard interval recognition approach - I've made more progress in 3 weeks with this than in over a year with the others.

3) learn the.major scale pattern and then use it to work out simple tunes that you already know . I mean really simple - Happy Birthday, Baa Baa Blacksheep, Somewhere over the rainbow. Basically any simple melody that you already have internalised since childhood, whatever suits your background.  All of these have simple and memorable  intervals that even for someone "challenged" like me, you know if one of the 8 available  notes sounds "right" or not. Maybe look up some sheet music as an aid. Ironically a lot of the tabs available for these don't help as they stick to one or two strings so stray outside the simple scale  pattern....

As a starter, Happy Birthday is
RR2443
RR2454
RR86432
dim7 dim7 6454

Once you get one or two of these you'll realise you *can* hear the notes - and so have confidence it's untrained ears not "bad" ears!

Hope that's useful
Miles

Sent from my SM-G930F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Airmiles

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 02:54:21 pm »
Of course Happy Birthday should read:
RR2R43
RR2454
RR86432
dim7 dim7 6454