Author Topic: When to start with effects  (Read 326 times)

Offline Cummings

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
When to start with effects
« on: August 06, 2019, 01:12:32 pm »
Hi all

Picked up my first hollow body at the end of January and that’s when my learning really improved from having a cheap, awful to play acoustic

How long do you guys think before I explore effects pedals?  I’m approaching songs in a pyramid style (somebody on the forum suggested this) as in, I have a couple of songs I can play, some are approaching that level, and some I’m just setting out on

When did you guys set out using effects?  Probably very subjective, I get that, just wondering...

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 434
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: When to start with effects
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 02:15:07 pm »
Congrats on the upgrade and the positive impact on your play.

Do you have any in-built effects on your amp?

If not, I would suggest looking out for a 2nd hand multi-fx unit ...

Zoom G3 or G3X

Mustang Floor

Boss ME 25 or 50 or 100

Mooer GE100

etc

Offline Cummings

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 03:21:13 pm »
Cheers Close

You think it’s worth taking the plunge? Zoom is the first one I looked at funnily enough. The G1XON I think

Online CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 67
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 03:43:51 pm »
I started with built in FX in my Fender Mustang amp and with Garageband. From there I built out a small pedal board to use with my tube amp. It doesn't take long to dial in tones that you like, as they add a lot of depth to your playing. In my opinion, it's time well spent exploring the possibilities, even early on in the journey.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 434
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 03:44:34 pm »
The G3 and G3X are much more robust and better all round for not much more money.
The older versions (grey-ish rather than black) also act as in interface and I'm not 100% sure the newer ones do.
What is your approx budget?

Offline Cummings

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 04:17:29 pm »
Forgot to answer, my amp has no built in effects

My budget is tops £50. Just to start me off. It started off looking at loop pedals with tuners and then to effects.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 122
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 04:35:13 pm »
For my own part I started playing with guitar effects quite soon into my guitar journey. However, I probably started out with a higher level of knowledge of electronics, technology, and audio engineering than most people.

I have been interested in audio technology since the early 1980s when I got my first personal computer (a TRS-80) and started experimenting with audio and graphics, even though that model had very basic graphics and no audio; there was a way of hacking audio using the cassette recorder interface that was used for loading and saving.

And, of course, when I moved onto more powerful computers, not only was more sophisticated audio an option: the BBC Micro sound system, for instance, supported ADSR, and the add-on Music 500 Synth I acquired supported (for the time) quite sophisticated wavetable synth with options for MIDI. By this time I was quite familiar with waveforms and how they sounded, envelopes, gain, clipping and overdrive/distortion and musical effects like tremolo, vibrato, delay, etc. albeit in the context of synthesisers rather than guitars.

I then went to University to study Electronics Engineering, where I studied, amongst other things, sampling theorem, digital signal processing, audio and acoustics.

So when I first got an electric guitar, several years ago, I had a pretty good idea of the options and how they worked. I didn't really know how to use them in the context of playing the guitar though. Also the Cube 20X amp I had back then was great for clean tones, but a bit rubbish for rockier sounds, so I got a Digitech multifx pedal, partly so that I could mess with FX, but also so that I could experiment with different amplifier and cabinet emulations, as well as recording.

For me it was the right approach, and it's one I recommend to anyone new to FX. IMO buying and connecting individual FX pedals is a minefield and the information out there is very subjective, and biased by personal preference, mythology, branding, and a fair amount of snobbery and cork-sniffing. A relatively cheap multi FX pedal is a great way to learn about the different fx in general, to experiment with them and work out which ones suit you and how you might use them.

When people post "What should be the first pedal(s) I buy?" then I would normally always recommend a multifx unit on the basis that no-one else can really tell you what's best for you and, if you don't know yourself already, then you could be in for some expensive mistakes if you go on a lot of the recommendations on the Internet. A multifx unit is a great way to learn and most of the modern ones are actually pretty good.

The one thing I would say is that, if you do get a multifx unit, learn how to use it. So many people don't do this, and that is where (IMO) most of the hate for these units comes from. The presets on most multfx units are often not good, or not useful. They are often set up to be deliberately "over the top", and to act as a way to demonstrate some of the whackier capabilities, or simply to provide ideas for the user. So many people only use these units by switching between the factory presets and then complain that the pedal is rubbish. The problem here is the user, not the tool.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 122
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 04:38:21 pm »
Forgot to answer, my amp has no built in effects

My budget is tops £50. Just to start me off. It started off looking at loop pedals with tuners and then to effects.

Most multifx pedals, including the Zoom range, have built-in tuners and, often, a metronome or simple drum machine. Some of them also have simple looping capability.

Don't be afraid to look on the second hand market.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 07:07:20 pm »
I’ve got a Zoom 505 Mk2 that you could have for £10 plus postage, it’s quite primitive compared to the latest stuff but is still functional.
Apart from that look at Donner brand on Amazon, they make some quite decent stuff, I’ve got a few of their tiny fx pedals and for the price think that they are great bang for buck (take a look at In the blues channel on YT, Shane is a good guy and honest about his reviews.
If you’re interested in the 505 pm me and we could sort something out.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Cummings

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 08:48:33 pm »
Most multifx pedals, including the Zoom range, have built-in tuners and, often, a metronome or simple drum machine. Some of them also have simple looping capability.

Don't be afraid to look on the second hand market.

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks Majik, I appreciate you taking the time out to answer

Offline Cummings

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 08:49:23 pm »
I’ve got a Zoom 505 Mk2 that you could have for £10 plus postage, it’s quite primitive compared to the latest stuff but is still functional.
Apart from that look at Donner brand on Amazon, they make some quite decent stuff, I’ve got a few of their tiny fx pedals and for the price think that they are great bang for buck (take a look at In the blues channel on YT, Shane is a good guy and honest about his reviews.
If you’re interested in the 505 pm me and we could sort something out.

Great offer Darrell.  If I didn’t want a looper too, I’d snap your hand off!

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 06:52:59 am »
Great offer Darrell.  If I didn’t want a looper too, I’d snap your hand off!
If you want a Looper get a separate one, most built in loopers on lower price multi fx are quite limited - I have a Electro harmonix looper which allows me to record backing tracks onto it, great for when you’re learning solos.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 434
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 08:38:18 pm »
Where in the UK are you?
I'll use my google-fu and try to track down something suitable for you.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App