Author Topic: Katana 100 looping  (Read 258 times)

Offline blackbirdpaul21

• Good Vibes 0
Katana 100 looping
« on: August 04, 2019, 03:26:12 pm »
This is my first post - having just discovered what am amazing site this is. Where does Justin find the time to do all this to stuff?
Anyway, my issue is how to layer different sounds through my RC-3 looper pedal. I have a Boss Katana 100 and whatever I try, as soon as I change the channel on the amp (or the footswitch), then all the loops on the pedal take that channel's sound. I've watched numerous YouTube videos, and spoken to a guy at Roland. Everything I try hasn't worked so far. I have the Boss Tone studio software downloaded and done everything on there I'm supposed to - no joy..
Can anyone help me out please?

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 122
Re: Katana 100 looping
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 07:30:04 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

The K100 has an FX loop. Are you connecting your looper pedal via that?

Also, you need to make sure the FX loop is configured at the end of the internal signal chain in the Katana. The FX loop is part of the amp/EQ block. Use Tone Studio to configure chain 3 and it should work.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline blackbirdpaul21

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 11:10:51 am »
Hi Keith - and many thanks for taking the time. I am using the send/return cables between the amp and the rc-3. I am also clicked on effect 3 on the 'chain' in Boss Tone - for some reason I can't see all of the chain, can't scroll down fully, but enough to click on chain 3. I uninstalled the Boss tone software and re-installed the latest version (3.0 I think). No difference..
I'm running out of options!

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 122
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 11:16:56 am »
That's odd.

What are you running Tone Studio (BTS) on? It's possible the screen resolution of your PC is too small for the application.

Are you sure you are properly selecting chain 3. Also, are you sure the change is being written to the Katana? Can you make other changes using BTS and have them work on the amp?

If you disconnect BTS from the Katana and reconnect it, is the chain still showing CHAIN3 as selected?

Note, also, that the chain setting is stored against the specific slot. On the Katana 100 you have the "Panel" plus 8 patches labeled as follows:
PANEL
A: CH1
A: CH2
A: CH3
A: CH4
B: CH1
B: CH2
B: CH3
B: CH4

When you make a change you will then write it to one of the specific slots. If you, for instance, change the Chain setting and write this into the PANEL slot, this will not change it for any of the other slots. So if you then selected A:CH1 then this might have a different Chain setting.

So you need to make sure you change the Chain setting and specifically write it into any slots which you want to use the looper with.

Cheers,

Keith

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:02:49 pm by Majik »
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX

Offline blackbirdpaul21

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 06:06:24 pm »
Hi there my friend. So I fixed the screen resolution size and can now see all of the info for chain 3. I've saved ('write') each of my 8 channels, and ensured that each of them are linked to chain 3 and that the send/return is on and red - guess what? No change...   :(

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 122
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 06:49:37 pm »
That's really odd.

I have DM'ed you.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 122
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 06:19:25 pm »
So, I contacted blackbirdpaul21 and we arranged to have a video call.

Initially I was a bit baffled as it seemed everything was set up correctly, but then I realised that Paul was mainly using delay and reverb effects.

On the Katana, the Reverb is, by default, at the end of the chain and, thus, after the FX loop regardless of whether you select chain 1, 2 or 3.

In the latest firmware update, they added the ability to have a second delay stage. This "delay2" stage is located with the reverb and, as with the reverb, sits behind (and affects) the FX loop too.

However, in that update they also provided a way to move the FX loop so that it is after delay2 and reverb . This is done on BTS by selecting the "S/R" setting and changing the loop setting from the default "Post Amp" to "Post Rev".

Once we worked this out, everything seems to work as expected.

So, I learned something here myself. I must admit I have found having the reverb on the RC-3 drum sounds rather annoying. I currently use my Katana with my Digitech Trio+ and that's even more annoying as the default FX loop location means that not only is the recorded loop affected by the delay2 and reverb, but also the bass and drums. Being able to move the FX loop to be after these will be very useful indeed.

Cheers,

Keith

P.S. to use the Trio+ with the Katana requires non-obvious cabling. If anyone wants me to create a post describing this, let me know.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 07:00:56 pm by Majik »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App