Author Topic: Kemper Profiler  (Read 3268 times)

Offline Daling

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Kemper Profiler
« on: March 11, 2020, 02:25:42 pm »
Hi folks, I was wondering if anyone can guide me here please.

Thinking of replacing my Boss Katana mk1 100w with a Kemper Profiler Head.

I have spent hours scouring the net trying to find out just what kind of output method is advised for my situation.

What I wish to achieve is the following:

Play Guns n Roses Appetite stuff
AC/DC with my Les Paul.

Play Dire Straits music such as Money for nothing, Sultans of Swing on the Fender Strat.
Also U2.
Maybe some blues.

I believe the Kemper will allow several good presets to be used along with any of the appropriate amp profiles.

The burning question
I am only a Bedroom guitarist and will never want to play live.  I live in a detached house so can get away with reasonable volume without annoying the neighbours :-) but nevertheless I am aware of making too much noise.

So what do I use for output then, CAB? Studio Monitors? That's the burning question!!
Some say bedroom guitarist should only consider Good quality studio Monitors, some say you wont get that amp in the room feel with studio monitors.

So why am I moving away from the Katana? Mainly because I can never really get that tone right, even after hours of messing and various pickups. So I guess I want the Presence of a Boss katana which I always run at reduced wattage  but with better tone.

Hopefully I've painted a suitable picture for you to kindly assist in my choice of output methods.

I appreciate your help

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
Re: Kemper Profiler
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 02:32:09 pm »
The Kemper works well both with a physical cab in the room OR with studio monitors (or even headphones).
You'll just have to understand how to set it up correctly for whatever output you have.

Offline Daling

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 02:47:08 pm »
Thanks Kasper, what I was worried about was if I had a cab, and TBH the Headrush seems to be a nice wedge, would it need to be cranked up to benefit from the tones the Kemper can throw ou, or would I be able to lower the volume and still get a good tone using distortion?
The Kemper works well both with a physical cab in the room OR with studio monitors (or even headphones).
You'll just have to understand how to set it up correctly for whatever output you have.

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 04:05:02 pm »
I would say that a Kemper through a physical speaker at low volume sounds the same (well, probably better) than for example a Katana amp played at low volume. It can do really good distorted tones at low volume. It's not like tube amps that needs to be cranked to really get cooking..

That being said, in my experience there is always a huge difference between bedroom volume tones and a cranked amp going through a cabinet on stage. Especially if you're also comparing studio monitors to large guitar cab. That has to do with a bunch of factors; volume itself, listening position relative to speaker center and the difference between hearing a mic'ed up speaker IR compared to a physical speaker throwing sound around in a real room.

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 04:07:48 pm »
Btw, also remember that if you're going for a Headrush wedge then that's a FRFR speaker and you will need to use the cab module of the Kemper... IR's in other words. So if you go that route make sure you are used to and like the sound of a mic'ed up speaker in IR form.

Cheers,
Kasper

Offline Daling

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 05:52:31 pm »
Many thanks Kasper that's more great help again, this sure ism even bigger subject to think about than I first thought!
Appreciate the support Kasper
Thanks
Btw, also remember that if you're going for a Headrush wedge then that's a FRFR speaker and you will need to use the cab module of the Kemper... IR's in other words. So if you go that route make sure you are used to and like the sound of a mic'ed up speaker in IR form.

Cheers,
Kasper

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 06:21:14 pm »
Don't forget that each of the bands you mentioned have their own style.
David Evans (The Edge) is a pedal fanatic. If he put behind his pedal board
and handed you one of his may guitars you wouldn't get his tone.

Mark Knopfler plays mostly finger style and has unbelievable technique and tone.
He could set you up with his rig and I doubt you could fine his unique tone.

Slash actually has a very clean sound and style he gets most of his tone from
talent and volume.

Angus also gets his tone mostly from talant and volume.

I don't think you're going to find what your looking for by spending a lot of money
on a Kemper and monitors.

Have you set up the Katana tone studio software. If not could save you a lot of
money and get you closer to where you want to be.

Offline Daling

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 10:32:18 pm »
Thanks Stitch, that all makes perfect sense, must admit though, getting bit frustrated with Katana settings

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 10:43:07 pm »
Have you watched Justins lessons on how to set everything up?
He has about 10 lessons on the Katana and the software and
about another 10 presets you can download.

I haven't use a Kemper so I can't give you any advice on it but I can't see it being
any less frustating to learn.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 10:46:23 pm »
Here's the link just in case you haven't seen the videos yet.

https://www.justinguitar.com/modules/boss-katana

Offline Daling

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 11:07:03 pm »
Thanks Stitch,funnily enough since reading your previous post I went over to Justin's video watched the dirty deeds setup just now and will certainly watch the others, maybe I need some more direction on the Katana, these videos might be just what the Dr ordered.
Thankyou for your continued help here, much appreciated

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 182
    • My Road Case
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 07:24:57 am »
I haven't use a Kemper so I can't give you any advice on it but I can't see it being
any less frustating to learn.

From what I have seen, the Kemper will probably be at least as frustrating.

I don't doubt it's more capable and versatile, but with that comes more options to have to deal with.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Daling

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 08:44:47 am »
From what I have seen, the Kemper will probably be at least as frustrating.

I don't doubt it's more capable and versatile, but with that comes more options to have to deal with.

Cheers,

Keith
Thanks, Yes I am after hours of research learning more about the profiling amps, and starting to think the same.  I guess if not careful, it's all too easy to be blinded by youtube demos,showing how sunny it is on a certain side of the street. Seen this many times with my other passion Photography.

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 01:16:43 pm »
FWIW I had the Kemper for a couple of years... but actually never really bonded with it, and eventually sold it and went back to tube amps.

In general it sounded really good... but for me there were simply too many profiles to choose from. Found myself suffering quite a bit from "option paralysis". I much prefer locking various parts of my gear down (for example the cabinet / IR) and then "only" vary things like amp head, guitars and pedals. Plenty of stuff to tweak there already ;)

But the Kemper works great for some people. It records very well, it gives you ALL the flexibility you could want, it emulates pretty much all amps perfectly... and you can indeed buy profile packs where the author has tone matched certain albums... Guns'N'Roses, Van Halen, Knopfler, AC/DC. Whatever you would want. Some of these sound absolutely spot on!

For example, one of the recordings I did that I was very happy (tone wise) about was "Running with the Devil" from the first VH album.
My recording is here: https://soundcloud.com/kasper-fauerby/van-halen-running-with-the-devil-instrumental
Link to original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km1qul4UGAI

If you account for the fact that the original is tuned a bit off concert pitch, then the tones sounds very, very similar to my ears. That is just one of my guitars into the Kemper I had at the time.
I don't think I could get *quite* as close with my current setup, and neither could the Katana I would think. For those kind of uses the tone matching of the Kemper works great.

So for tweakers it really is a great and professional piece of gear!

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 182
    • My Road Case
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 01:46:49 pm »
The question for me is how important is it to nail a very specific tone for a song?

For me and, I suspect, most people it matters not a bit, as long as the tone you have is appropriate. For me I care more about the standard of my playing.

As an example, I have been messing around trying to learn Pride by U2 on and off for a while. Getting a tone that is close to that on the record isn't that hard on any of my gear, including the Katana; the trickiest bit is getting the delay right, and with a bit of research that's really not that hard.

What IS hard is getting the strumming both in time with the delay, and sounding clean and crisp. Without that it sounds pretty horrible, and that's entirely down to my technique. No amount of tone-tweaking is going to magically fix that.

I could apply similar principles to most songs.

Another example:
Over the last few years I have helped a couple of local covers bands I know with live gigs doing sound and lighting. One of the main ones I know plays songs ranging from the Beatles to AC/DC and System of a Down. Theses are semi-professional musicians who gig every week. The guitar player has a single Marshall tube amp and a small pedalboard (I know his setup well since I built his pedalboard for him). He basically has clean, dirty and lead tones, plus an additional boost/overdrive on his pedalboard and he uses those core tones for the whole of a 30+ set gig covering a range of styles and music across 4 decades.

And he sounds great!

And I have never heard anyone say anything remotely like "the tone on that song wasn't right", because really notices or cares.

And, a couple of times when his amp has been in for repair, he has borrowed my Katana 100 and he loves it to the point he is considering getting one as a backup amp or for smaller gigs. And, again, he sounded great and no one complained or commented.

Again, this is just my experiences and opinion.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 01:58:50 pm »
He basically has clean, dirty and lead tones, plus an additional boost/overdrive on his pedalboard and he uses those core tones for the whole of a 30+ set gig covering a range of styles and music across 4 decades.

I do the exact same thing when playing live. For a set of music consistent tones are much more important than matching each original song. Would drive any sound guy crazy as well...

But getting specific tones is fun (for me anyway), and you learn a lot about tones and how they sit in a mix in the process. When recording I tend to tailor the tones much more specifically to the song than when playing live. Two totally different things and mindsets.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 182
    • My Road Case
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 02:05:15 pm »

But getting specific tones is fun (for me anyway), and you learn a lot about tones and how they sit in a mix in the process. When recording I tend to tailor the tones much more specifically to the song than when playing live. Two totally different things and mindsets.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Playing with tones and the technology used to shape tones can be fun.

But I think there's a difference between learning and playing with the technology and tones and having fun doing it, compared to getting frustrated/annoyed with it.

One is a hobby, the other can be a millstone.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Daling

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2020, 12:00:05 pm »
Hiya Majik and Kasper,

Thankyou so much for your detailed replies, it certainly means alot to me to read information provided so freely and by experienced musicians such as yourselves.

I spend quite a lot of time, usually 2 hours per day refining what I have learnt.

Welcome to the Jungle is probably my number one learning song at present, purely because I love it and firmly believe there is a bit of everything in that tune good for learning.
Mastered the string skipping at the beginning.

So I also believe that in order to learn a tune, the guitar tone for me has to be as close as possible, I am sure with power chords, that I can strum these correctly, and have made sure I can palm mute for the chukka.

So I guess with this in mind I wanted to ensure I could get the tone as close as poss to encourage me more to learn that tune.
I cant believe how the time flying whilst I am practising 3 hours seems like 30 mins!!

Thankyou very much once again, I really value your kind help

Offline Daling

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2020, 12:07:51 pm »
Kasper
WOW love your Van Halen clip, to me that sound Phenomenal!!!! That's where I want to be.

Apart from your obvious excellent skills on the guitar, is that the Kemper too? Any other effects or studio mastery?
That is exactly the tone I love!!
Cheers

Get The Forum As A Mobile App