Author Topic: Identify the "squashed" sound effect  (Read 709 times)

Offline Johan217

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
Identify the "squashed" sound effect
« on: July 19, 2019, 01:20:36 pm »
Been wondering this for a while: what is the "squashed" effect that can be heard e.g. in the opening solo of Iron Maiden's Burning Ambition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZqYveQNse4 (starts at 0:12)

My first thought was a compressor but judging from the effect on my Mustang, this is not it. A cocked wah pedal maybe? Or something added in the studio?
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
Re: Identify the "squashed" sound effect
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 01:53:57 pm »
Been wondering this for a while: what is the "squashed" effect that can be heard e.g. in the opening solo of Iron Maiden's Burning Ambition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZqYveQNse4 (starts at 0:12)

My first thought was a compressor but judging from the effect on my Mustang, this is not it. A cocked wah pedal maybe? Or something added in the studio?

If you mean the slow sweeping back and forth sound, it sounds a bit like a swept wah to me. It's not compression. Compression will impact the amplitude or "loudness" of the sound, not the frequencies in it. This is a modulation effect.

It could also be a slow phaser or a univibe or rotary of some kind.

Bearing in mind this was recorded in 1980 they wouldn't have had DAWs or plugins back then. These days you could do it with an envelope filter plugin but, back then, it would either have to be a pedal or an outboard effect unit.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 08:47:26 pm »
You mean the overdriven tones, right, not the clean sound with the phaser ?
I'm with Keith, it sounds a bit like a Wah pedal set at a point slightly off the heel down position and then left there.
You can probably replicate it with an envelope filter, or if you have a wah, turn it on, set it heel down, start playing the riff and then gently push the pedal toe down until you hit the right frequency.

Offline Johan217

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 09:12:48 am »
Thanks Majik and Dan. Yes I was talking about the overdriven tone in the opening solo. I have a Cry Baby lying around from my younger days and I think I am getting there... As it turns out I have been much too careful with the gain. I never saw the point of using an overdrive pedal if I could adjust the gain on the amp... until now. The difference is an eye opener.

Now, off to play again :)
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App