Author Topic: Backing tracks  (Read 322 times)

Offline GiorgioG

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Backing tracks
« on: July 17, 2019, 08:42:16 pm »
Hi Justin,
In the DVD there are the mp3 backing tracks.
I usually play them on my computer and play the guitar along with them.
I now have a Boss RC-3 looper and I would like to copy the tracks on it, so I don't have to use the computer anymore.
Am I allowed to do so?

Thanks

Giorgio

Offline GiorgioG

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Backing tracks
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 09:14:20 am »
I assume I can :)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 122
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 10:01:10 am »
I wouldn't have thought it would have been a problem. You purchased the DVD for personal educational use and that's what you are using it for.

Strictly speaking, in some jurisdictions, making copies (whether to different media or not) even for personal use could be "illegal", but I have never seen this enforced. The record industry made noises about doing so maybe 10 or so years ago, when everyone started ripping the CDs to MP3s, but nothing ever came from it as they realised it was impractical to detect and enforce, and was alienating paying customers by calling them thieves. It may have also resulted in a judgement against them which might have set a precedent.

In any case, Justin is not a money-grabbing media corporation with an army of lawyers. He makes these DVDs for instructional purposes. If you've bought the DVD I very much doubt he would complain about transferring the files to a different format for personal use, especially if that personal use encouraged you to learn more on the guitar.

I will mention that I've previously copied backing tracks from various sources onto various devices including my RC-3 looper, and my BR-80 and JS-8 eBand, including some of Justin's. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the people in these forums have done something similar. If it's for personal use, then I really don't see a problem with it.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline GiorgioG

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 03:19:01 pm »
Hi Keith
Thanks for your answer.

I bought the download version of the DVD and the backing track were in mp3 format.
I just use them for personal use, I'm not performing in front of an audience and I use the Boss RC-3 looper to avoid to turn on the computer every time I practise playing the guitar.
Of course, I want to comply with the copyright, so I'll keep monitoring this post just in case there are objections on using the backing tracks outside the computer.

Thanks again :)

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 05:22:25 pm »
Justin is all about teaching so if using your looper helps you learn I'm sure
Justin would be cool with that..

It actually make perfect sense to have the backing tracks on your looper.

Offline GiorgioG

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 08:43:39 am »
Thank you :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App