Author Topic: Wah pedals  (Read 1339 times)

Online jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
Wah pedals
« on: July 16, 2019, 11:09:59 pm »
After watching the Andersons videos about how to sound like Thin Lizzy / Iron Maiden on a budget I went and bought a mini crybaby pedal.
I can use it in songs like Nazareth's hair of the dog as it is obvious where it is turned on and off but I don’t really know where it is used in songs where the wah is not so obvious. I can hear some wah in solos but I find that if I leave it on for the whole solo it sounds odd but I can't manage to turn it on and off during a solo.

So generally is it ever left on for the whole solo or only normally used for bits of the solo.

PS - don't leave an battery operated EQ pedal with a cable plugged into it.
Why do manufacturers hide little pearls of wisdom like that in the instructions, they must know that you only look there after the third battery in a week.

Sent from my SM-N910F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
Re: Wah pedals
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 08:25:36 pm »
Depends on the song it's used in, there are examples aplenty of extensive solos that use the wah pedal throughout.
Sweet Child 'O Mine by Guns 'N Roses would be one example, or the solo of Enter Sandman by Metallica (where it may not always be quite so obvious, depends on the recording, the original is most obvious).
Whole Lotta Love by Led Zep has some extensive wah work, though I don't think it went all the way through the solo.

And just to (over)state what might seem obvious, the Wah isn't always just used for pure solo work.

Let's start with the classic :

Hell, Hendrix used the wah so extensively that he pretty much became the icon of using it creatively for a very long time.

Or how about a song where the bass parts use a wah on and off throughout the song ?

I picked this particular recording of 'For whom the Bell Tolls' because of Jason Newsted's somewhat standard yet still creative use of a wah, and how obvious it makes the use of it during the song.

Or a song that used a Wah riff throughout the entire song, used it on filler guitar and bass parts and riffs, and used it extensively during the solo ?

Alice in Chains has more use of things like the Wah pedal, phasers, chorus, flangers etc. throughout their recordings, but Man in the Box still stands out for the extensive wah use.

I can think of plenty examples from dozens of artists, google and youtube will be your best friends on this one.

[edit]Oooh, almost forgot, not just the wah pedal will drain while plugged in, the same is true for a lot of volume pedals and guitars with active pickups.

Online jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 11:00:04 pm »
Thanks Dan
That has helped as although it is obvious now I hadn't realised it was a wah in sweet child and enter sandman.
I will give it another go, probably needs quite some practice, it's hard enough to try and play the solo on its own without faffing around with a pedal.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 12:03:55 am »
Yeah, I tried with a regular wah pedal for about a year myself before I gave up.
These days I stick with the auto-wah on my Axe-FX III, my playing's xx--xx enough without me trying to also follow the rythm with my foot to keep the wah sounding good  :-X

Online CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 96
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 03:47:43 am »
+1 on auto-wah. I use the one that comes with my Fender Mustang amp or my DAW. I would rather spend my time chasing tone with overdrive/distortion/delay pedals. Fact is, most everything is well represented in amps and DAWs these days.

One of the few times I actually used auto-wah: I Shot the Deputy 

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 07:15:02 am »
Nice demo here from Paul Davids

Online jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 12:05:39 pm »

One of the few times I actually used auto-wah: I Shot the Deputy

Nice playing Clint.
Does an auto wah work in solos or is it just used during rhythm

Richard - That is a good video, I was wondering if you could wah on bends

Offline Johan217

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 07:25:54 pm »
You can also use the wah as a treble boost (down) or a "woman tone" (up) by activating it and leaving it in a set position.
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Online CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 96
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 02:37:37 am »
I think rhythm or lead will work fine with auto-wah. On my track I mostly played lead, with chord tones and some triads. Experiment and have fun. 

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 08:17:57 am »
As well as auto-wah, there's touch wah.

The difference, if people are unsure, is auto-wah will automatically operate the wah to a rhythm,  and you can set the tempo (normally to match the tempo of the music).

Touch wah operates using dynamics: the harder you pick, the more the wah opens.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Online jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 11:02:57 am »
This sort of gets back to my question. If I buy a auto or touch wah will it work on a solo which only has wah in some parts or if there is wah in some of the solo is the pedal actually engaged for the whole solo

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 11:28:17 am »
Normally you have some sort of footswitch on an auto/touch wah.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 11:29:52 am »
Uhm, think about it for a second :)
How can a pedal “know” which parts of a solo uses wah. If the pedal is turned on it will make wah sounds...

I don’t recommend you buy an auto or touch wah. First of all they can be tricky to dial in, and secondly they are (imo) mainly useful for funk styles where the wah effect is very fast and regular.

For rock solos the rhytmic aspects of pumping the pedal is a huge part of the sound, and you don’t often move it strictly to the beat. The way you move the pedal is part of how you express yourself with the wah pedal, much like how you bend and use vibrato. It’s not easy, but thats what you need to practise - not buy an auto wah and hope it will magically work :)

If you are challenged even turning the pedal on an off while playing then i have to say i don’t think you’re ready for a wah yet, sorry! Just my little bit of honest advice :)

Cheers,
Kasper

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 12:28:47 pm »
I would tend to agree with a lot of this, especially with auto-wah. I wouldn't say that touch wah is difficult to set up, although I would agree it tends to me more of a funk thing. They can be  a lot of fun to play with.

Cheers,

Keith

Online jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 09:36:42 pm »
Thanks all, I will keep on with it.
I wasnt really asking about simply switching the pedal on/off I was asking that if the solo has wah in various points throughout it, is the pedal left switched on but left in a certain position or do you make the wah sound then switch it off until you want to do it again, if there is a wah sound in bar 1 and 4 of the solo is the pedal switched off for bars 2  and 3.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App