Author Topic: What does it mean to just play and practice?  (Read 618 times)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 70
    • YouTube
What does it mean to just play and practice?
« on: July 16, 2019, 05:42:13 am »
For those of us that record frequently, what does it mean to just want to play and practice? I'm finding it somewhat liberating at the moment. Yeah, it's fun to have an audience but it is also nice to just play and express yourself without considering anything else. Maybe we all just need a break once in a while?   

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
Re: What does it mean to just play and practice?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 07:04:23 am »
For me there is a big difference between playing and practicing.
Playing is doing things you already know and enjoy. Alone or with an audience.

Practicing is time spent learning. Not very listener friendly.
When I'm alone sometimes playing takes up more of the time, unless I'm really
intent on learning a specific technique or song.

Offline 8livesleft

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 01:39:31 am »
I'm in this exact position. For years, my playing was geared 100% towards recording. But recently, I find myself just noodling and familiarizing myself with melodies.

Tried recording a track and it's complete  a$$ lol

But it's cool. We go through these phases and this is just my noodling phase so I'm not gonna force anything. If the recording bug comes, it comes.

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 70
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 03:33:03 am »
I think I'm going through some kind of a phase. I hope I come out of it a better player. :) :)

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 10:09:51 pm »
I don't do much recording for that reason CT.   To clarify, I generally record myself practicing daily but that's just for me to listen back to, usually.   And because to me my playing sounds like a sick cat scratching at the door if I try do a good recording.   
Those recordings from 'practicing' and I use that term loosely,  nearly always turn into recordings of meJamin out by myself.  They always make me smile at some point though.  It's like 'what on earth was that I just played'.  I love the spontinaiety and connection I have with my guitar when I'm alone and there's no pressure of an audience.
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 234
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 11:09:10 am »
I don't do much recording for that reason CT.   To clarify, I generally record myself practicing daily but that's just for me to listen back to, usually.   And because to me my playing sounds like a sick cat scratching at the door if I try do a good recording.   
Those recordings from 'practicing' and I use that term loosely,  nearly always turn into recordings of meJamin out by myself.  They always make me smile at some point though.  It's like 'what on earth was that I just played'.  I love the spontinaiety and connection I have with my guitar when I'm alone and there's no pressure of an audience.

Alex, maybe one day ... just so we can calibrate ... you'll share one of your "sick cat scratching" daily practice recordings.  Just so we know what that sounds like.  How different it might be in comparison to the other recordings you've already shared in which your arrangements and tone is wonderful and playing looks so effortless and relaxed. 

Or maybe you just need to get your hearing tested HA HA just kidding ... I fully understand that in our own ears we are hearing the small faults, the bits that aren't our best and want to sound better than we do.  I suppose some days Tommy E steps off the stage thinking he sounded like a sick cat ...

More to the topic ... I have persuaded myself that playing a song over and over to get it to sound OK, to be able to play it with a degree of fluency is the right way for me to practice, most of the time.  But before that I usually have to practice the new technique a little or a lot to get adequate to be able to use it in a song.

And then eventually I feel the song is performed adequately enough to make a recording and share with all of you.

Rinse and repeat

And if I live long enough maybe I'll be able to attempt some of the arrangements you've shared Alex :)

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 12:09:04 pm »
Yep. And don't get me wrong I practice a lot. And particularly new techniques.   I agree with your approach.   I always take on a song and know that it's gonna challenge me.  And the one im still working on now I think I was telling you about David,  is one of the toughest.   One cover version, out of hundreds I've found that cuts it for me.   The original I find absolutely the most beautiful guitar I've heard. 

What I find with tough songs is what I listen for always.  Its something I hear a lot listening to other players.  They or we,to be fair play great but speed up when the most difficult part is, because they haven't repeated that section enough cause it's hard,  not fun, and it's usually a smaller section, no-one will notice . 

All fingerstlye songs have that hard part and I'm not pointing the finger at a y part of a song here but I'm looking you bridge.  Verse chorus no dam problem,  speed up it's the hard bit aka the bridge.

OK I'm gonna share some wisdom.  Here it is you ready?  'The small hard section needs double the repetition, not half the repetition that we tend to give it.   Let me repeat that.  No I won't. I'm kidding you can just read it again....

Does that answer the question?  Ok so there was no question.   Oh I got sidetracked.   Yeah.

Ok
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 12:21:05 pm »

OK I'm gonna share some wisdom.  Here it is you ready?  'The small hard section needs double the repetition, not half the repetition that we tend to give it.   Let me repeat that.  No I won't. I'm kidding you can just read it again....

Does that answer the question?  Ok so there was no question.   Oh I got sidetracked.   Yeah.

Ok

That wisdom by the way comes from a man who I now call a friend....he calls me, 'hey you,  out of my way'  Mr Tommy Emmanuel'   I think.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 70
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 05:39:21 pm »
I guess with recording you either have to leave everything setup and ready to go, or drag everything out and possibly spoil some of the spontaneity. It's also easy to lose sight of the overarching goals, which are to have fun and get better with the instrument.

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 11:18:47 pm »
It's also easy to lose sight of the overarching goals, which are to have fun and get better with the instrument.

You nailed it in one sentence.

Regarding recording, most of peple have a smartphone today. So it's just getting into the habit to press record right before you start and off you go. By the time you get into this mood where sponatenous stuff happens, you already forget that you're recording it anyway.

I do agree it might be an issue when you have an idea in your head and all you need to do is pick up the instrument and play or otherwise you will forget it. This is where the pre-existing setup would be nice.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 234
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 11:22:13 am »
Yep. And don't get me wrong I practice a lot. And particularly new techniques.   I agree with your approach.   I always take on a song and know that it's gonna challenge me.  And the one im still working on now I think I was telling you about David,  is one of the toughest.   One cover version, out of hundreds I've found that cuts it for me.   The original I find absolutely the most beautiful guitar I've heard. 

What I find with tough songs is what I listen for always.  Its something I hear a lot listening to other players.  They or we,to be fair play great but speed up when the most difficult part is, because they haven't repeated that section enough cause it's hard,  not fun, and it's usually a smaller section, no-one will notice . 

All fingerstlye songs have that hard part and I'm not pointing the finger at a y part of a song here but I'm looking you bridge.  Verse chorus no dam problem,  speed up it's the hard bit aka the bridge.

Ok

Wise indeed, Alex. 

I am a familiar believer in the "persistent deliberate practice is the path to mastery" school of thought, rather than that to become more masterful at guitar requires some innate ability/gift in your DNA or something, even a divine blessing.

So I have no doubt you have invested the hours to play as you do and that given time, effort and focus I could do the same ... just maybe don't have the time and drive.

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 04:53:08 am »
You nailed it in one sentence.

Regarding recording, most of peple have a smartphone today. So it's just getting into the habit to press record right before you start and off you go. By the time you get into this mood where sponatenous stuff happens, you already forget that you're recording it anyway.

I do agree it might be an issue when you have an idea in your head and all you need to do is pick up the instrument and play or otherwise you will forget it. This is where the pre-existing setup would be nice.
I had a zoom h5 for a while which I sold when I was over the guitar for whatever reason.   I regret it,  and I'm going get another one.  I've been using a phone since selling it and comparing those recordings to the zooms it's worth it to me get one again.  If you have a decent room and play unplugged acoustic like I do they're great.  I'm not advertising for them, any of those digitat recorders would be the same I guess.   

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 05:00:07 am »

So I have no doubt you have invested the hours to play as you do and that given time, effort and focus I could do the same ... just maybe don't have the time and drive.

I just play acoustic guitar mate and t's just notes and chords,  like you said lots of hours,  nothing special about me at all.  I've just have nothing else to do.   
Yes, you can do that, easy,  and the only time that matters is now.  I know you enjoy it so much.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 234
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 05:29:30 am »

I just play acoustic guitar mate and t's just notes and chords,  like you said lots of hours,  nothing special about me at all.  I've just have nothing else to do.   
Yes, you can do that, easy,  and the only time that matters is now.  I know you enjoy it so much.

Good vibes to you, Alex.

That is exactly my thinking ... not about needing to be special and talented, just about learning, deliberate practice, slow and steady ...

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 01:43:43 pm »
I had a zoom h5 for a while which I sold when I was over the guitar for whatever reason.   I regret it,  and I'm going get another one.  I've been using a phone since selling it and comparing those recordings to the zooms it's worth it to me get one again.  If you have a decent room and play unplugged acoustic like I do they're great.  I'm not advertising for them, any of those digitat recorders would be the same I guess.

Yeah, I have Zoom H4N. It's a beast to record with. The only lesson I learnt the hard way (while loosing some ideas) is to not have too big of a memory card in it because then it needs too much time to start when you turn it on.

But yes, it is an amazing piece of gear. We even used it to record few tracks for an EP some time ago. Nobody complained about the quality haha.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App