Author Topic: This song is for the birds  (Read 158 times)

Offline sunjamrblues

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
This song is for the birds
« on: July 13, 2019, 11:38:39 pm »
I'm a retired environmental scientist, and I started learning blues guitar 3 years ago.  Lately I'm taking a little detour to learn about "deep house" music, which is a fusion of chill + house music.  There is a native bird called a "tui" which hangs out around my house here in New Zealand, and it has a very complex library of sounds.  I've been studying them for a while, and I found that they often sing in Bm.  So I started trying to imitate their calls on my guitar, and that evolved into this composition.  At the same time, I have gone through Justin's latest lessons on Mark Knopfler's style, so I tried to blend in my version of some of those licks, including the Mark Knopfler Fast Arpeggios lesson - which I found really hard to do on an acoustic guitar with no cutout.  I recorded the whole thing by plugging my Martin Dreadnaught Junior into my tube amp, then through a mic, then through a Scarlett 2i2 and into Logic Pro X.  I've never played a keyboard before, but about a month ago I bought a Novation LaunchKey Mini and started learning to play some synth sounds.  That turns out to be really fun, and a great addition to my backing tracks.  The repeating melody is not my idea.  I stole it from the birds.

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
Re: This song is for the birds
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 11:58:50 pm »
That was very nice, sunjamr. I hit the thumbs up on that.   Such a well put together piece. You played with tasteful restrain yet your note selection was perfect for the piece.   

I loved the Tui bird solo right at the end,  his timing and phrasing was great.   How did you get him to do that?
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 12:13:57 am »
Sunjam

Ignore my earlier reply to the other post, as you are further down the path than me my friend.
As to the creativity of other folks here, well I think you surpassed a few with this one.
Enjoyed the whole vibe, feel and tone throughout and it worked so well with the video and those those licks you filmed when switching the the studio view, is a great tutorial to anyone wanting to emulate your playing (Yeah I've bookmarked this for reference). Clean emotive tones and nice picking makes this a great track.

Now go away and write some poetry that encapsulates the Tui and make sure it follows the rhythm of this track. Get it sung and come back here for round two. No such word as can't.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Bytron08

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 12:54:59 am »
That was amazing!!! Bytron

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 01:18:17 am »
Sunjamr, your music is never a disappointment.  While 7:52 is a little protracted for my attention span, you kept it interesting for the whole time with the change-ups you used.  This seemed very well balanced, with good levels, tones and playing.   A fine display of your talents.  The vid fit right in also. 

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 104
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 02:45:44 am »
Sunjamr I though you said you can't sing!  To me this is your voice. Such a smooth production, beautiful tones and interpretation. This is a feast for the senses. Thankyou.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 03:06:08 am »
Very nice visual and musical journey. The complete package. Totally enjoyable!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 226
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 08:22:16 am »
Very cool, Steve.  Enjoyed the whole package ... the video, the "deep house" vibe and your guitar playing.  Maybe I was pre-framed by the reference to and effective use of the MK fast arpeggio licks but around 5'30" in, that section had a Dire Straits feel to me, like some of the longer songs on Love Over Gold.

You say you started learning blues guitar about 3 years ago ... was that the start of your learning or just a new direction?

Offline sunjamrblues

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 12:13:49 pm »
Very cool, Steve.  Enjoyed the whole package ... the video, the "deep house" vibe and your guitar playing.  Maybe I was pre-framed by the reference to and effective use of the MK fast arpeggio licks but around 5'30" in, that section had a Dire Straits feel to me, like some of the longer songs on Love Over Gold.

You say you started learning blues guitar about 3 years ago ... was that the start of your learning or just a new direction?

Having sailed for nearly 20 years around the Caribbean and South Pacific islands, I sold my 54' sailboat and ended up with some spare cash.  I had always wanted to learn to play an electric guitar - blues guitar in particular - so I went out and bought one.  Then another one.  Then an acoustic.  And thanks to the multitude of lessons and tutorials on Youtube, I think I've made it to the level of "intermediate guitarist".  I'll never be an "advanced guitarist", but that's OK with me.

Offline sunjamrblues

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 12:21:09 pm »
Sunjamr, your music is never a disappointment.  While 7:52 is a little protracted for my attention span, you kept it interesting for the whole time with the change-ups you used.  This seemed very well balanced, with good levels, tones and playing.   A fine display of your talents.  The vid fit right in also.

Oh, I meant to apologize for the length of this composition.  I did it because the "deep house" genre includes several specific elements, and takes a minimum of 7 or 8 minutes to fit them all in.  FYI, the elements include things like Beat Intro, Chord Intro, 1st Breakdown, Main Section 1, 2nd Breakdown, etc etc and ending with Stab Outro, and Beat Outro.  It's not uncommon to find compositions that last for an hour, which is way past my attention span.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 226
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 01:19:20 pm »
Having sailed for nearly 20 years around the Caribbean and South Pacific islands, I sold my 54' sailboat and ended up with some spare cash.  I had always wanted to learn to play an electric guitar - blues guitar in particular - so I went out and bought one.  Then another one.  Then an acoustic.  And thanks to the multitude of lessons and tutorials on Youtube, I think I've made it to the level of "intermediate guitarist".  I'll never be an "advanced guitarist", but that's OK with me.

Had a feeling your Forum name was linked to sailing and then saw the picture of you on a sailboat in one of the videos which reinforced that sense.

So you've reached the levels you are currently playing at in 3 years.  I know there are a lot of variables in the learning process, so never compare my own progress over a period of time time anybody else, but have to say I think you've made good progress. 

As for intermediate ... well, very subjective how we choose to use those labels.  From what I have seen and heard I suspect you are at a level where you could do what Justin teaches in his Intermediate Module.  And have made excellent progress on some of what Justin would call Advanced.  But as you suggest, the label to peg you as a certain play-grade is neither here nor there.

Whatever, level you may be, I think your original music is a pleasure to listen to and a personal motivation for me to continue learning more.

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 04:47:55 pm »
Lovely. I like how the bird songs flow through it. Beautiful video, and your playing looked and sounded effortless. Beautiful foliage, too.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 63
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 05:48:59 pm »
Excellent, great production value, good playing and lovely composition.
May not be the style of music I play myself, but I recognise the talent and I like the theme and story behind this piece.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 07:47:03 am »
Wow.
Love this.
So mellow and cool.
8)

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 03:06:07 pm »
Sounds like an interesting profession. So did you spend much of your time in the outdoors, around nature? 

Your video was so interesting. I enjoyed your musical talents all around: watching you play so effortlessly, hearing and watching the Tui birds. So soothing and enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Get The Forum As A Mobile App