Author Topic: "Lay All Your Love on Me" - ABBA - Bass Cover  (Read 917 times)

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 51
"Lay All Your Love on Me" - ABBA - Bass Cover
« on: July 09, 2019, 11:33:22 pm »
So, I got an offer to audition through Bandmix for a local theater production of "Mama Mia".  I guess their regular bassist couldn't be there for whatever reason so they needed a fill-in.  The gig was 3 weeks of shows starting in three weeks.  My wife loves the movie so I called the guy.  He took my info to give to the producer but I guess they filled the spot because they didn't call me back.

In the interim I learned a few of the songs.  Some of them had some pretty good bass lines.  I liked this one in particular.  The progression was something I hadn't seen before in other genres.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 238
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: "Lay All Your Love on Me" - ABBA - Bass Cover
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 05:41:32 am »
Now there's a sight and sound I never imagined I'd see  ;D  ;D

Sounded great, Endureth, looked pretty tricky.  Really melodic bass part.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 114
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 06:21:16 am »
You are waaaaaay coooooool Endureth. Sorry you missed out of the gig and thanks for sharing this with us. I love it.

Offline max_mue

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 43
    • YT-channel
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 08:26:01 am »
That was great! :)
Vibes & thanks for sharing! :)

PS: Welp, now Mamma Mia is stuck in my ear ^^
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

// YT-Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX5ZGjZ-aZgUNiCU-dznxAg

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 01:24:07 am »
Thanks for listening and for the wicked nice comments.  Glad you liked it!

PS: Welp, now Mamma Mia is stuck in my ear ^^

Yes, I learned that one as well.  My wife was thrilled listening to me learn these.  Even bought the movie.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 02:23:25 am by Endureth »

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 238
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 05:21:42 am »
I think I could watch you getting into the groove, with that gentle but knowing smile, all day, Endureth.

Another really melodic bass line.  They did craft some top quality pop-rock music-for-the-top-20 songs.

I hope you'll share videos of the rest of your ABBA repertoire.

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 129
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 05:28:11 am »
Couldn't access the first vid, but glad I got to see this one.  You make it look so easy.  I take it this isn't your everyday type of playing.   ;D  Really sorry you didn't get the call - maybe it will still come.  Sounds like it would be a blast to play. 

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 10:00:51 pm »
I take it this isn't your everyday type of playing.   ;D

When I first started I thought, "I'm gonna play rock and metal exclusively, and I'm gonna kick a$$, rawr!!!!"

But then I learned modes.  And music opened up.  I then realized there's really only one scale (the major scale) and that all other scales can be found within it.  After realizing that, all music came together for me.  All the parts clicked like puzzle pieces.  I've played metal, rock, digger's stuff, top 40, dance and was about to do a play of "Mama Mia!".  And all of it, once I worked out each bass line's place in the major scale (even in minor songs) the cloud lifted and I could see everything available on the fretboard.  I could improvise.  Remembering how to play songs long term became easier.  I could divide the songs into parts and just remember those.  Almost all songs have 3-4 parts.  Some have 5.  Epic songs usually have more (think "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" which has at least 7 parts; I'm still working on it).

There's a lot of repetition in music.  In a 5 minute song you might really only have to remember 1-2 minutes of music and perhaps a solo.   

So I guess the point of my rant is that music is music, and I'm a fan of it all.

I'm sad I didn't get the "Mama Mia!" gig because there are things about playing in an orchestrated group I would love to learn.  I'm going to continue to pursue it.  The place is a buffalo farm/playhouse literally right down the street from me:

http://hackmatack.org/

It's so inconspicuous I never even knew they had buffalo there.  I've lived 5 miles from the place for 20 years.  Never smelled a thing.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:28:29 pm by Endureth »

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 11:07:06 pm »
That was great, it looked very complicated.Sorry you didn't get the gigs. I have a feeling you may have made the rest of the orchestrated group a bit nervous if you had got the part, especially if you smiled like that during the performance.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 08:55:33 am »
Took in your 1st installment found in your first post. Very nice and I too like this bassline and play of it. Very nice job and your keep inspiring me to pick up the bass hanging a couple meters away on the wall!

Keep rocking on and nice comments about everything being in the major scale. I have wrap my head around that one!

Thanks and let the rock out!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline Cagn on Rocks

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 02:06:34 pm »
Cool stuff !!  ;D
Pretty nice bass lines.  and well played.
Sorry you did not have the gig at the end. But your learnt new stuff !  ;D

Thanks

Offline b1rdland

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 10:03:11 pm »
What were they thinking not giving you the gig? Excellent playing, I love that cool ‘fingerstyle’ thing, it does look complicated, bet you can play the drums too? Why did you choose bass? Most people want to play guitar or be the striker in a team, it’s a different mindset to choose bass or fullback or centre back ... but often centre back is cooler e.g. Virgil van Dijk - nice one!
My album - https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/angel-heart-2
Gibson es335
Fender Telecaster Professional
Taylor GS Mini-e
The Big Trees > Orange PPC112

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 12:37:33 am »
Thanks again for the kind words.

...bet you can play the drums too? Why did you choose bass?

I wanted to be Peter Criss, the drummer for KISS, when I was a kid.  He was the coolest person in KISS to me.  But I couldn't afford a drum set.  I dated a girl that owned a bass and latched onto it.  So it wasn't my first choice but I think I have more fun with it than I would have with the drums.  With drums I just get percussion, the bass gives me percussion and a melodic voice.

Very nice job and your keep inspiring me to pick up the bass hanging a couple meters away on the wall!

Get some!

I hope you'll share videos of the rest of your ABBA repertoire.

Sure.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 09:49:54 am »
Shame about the gig but I would say even better and more valuable than that is the fact you stepped outside of your genre and discovered the quality and worth of well-crafted songs.
I say it often enough for guitar students here : lean songs, learn songs, learn songs. And in doing so always intend there to be a subtext of learn songs from a wide range of genres and styles etc.
It seems you have found that such a mantra is equally applicable to bass.
Coolio.
8)

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 12:53:03 pm »
Maybe you should have hit the thrift store for some polyester. I bet that might've helped them see you in the role.

You're playing sounds great.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App