Author Topic: Lesson frustration  (Read 313 times)

Offline LouisK

• Good Vibes 1
  • Dazed and confused
Lesson frustration
« on: July 05, 2019, 09:24:00 pm »
Been playing 'at' learning to play for a couple of years now. Start-stop in rhythm with some pretty nasty life events (son's cancer - in complete remission now! and impending divorce). So I have excuse enough but still -

Trying to decide between in-person live lessons, Justin-only lessons, combination of the two. I've met with one local instructor a couple of times, zero 'connection' between us. I'm in my early 60's, know how I learn, and we just don't match up well. But there is something to be said for finding at least someone a little better than me to play with, I think.

Anyone have similar experience or suggestions?
Remember when the music
Came from wooden boxes
Strung with silver wire

Seagull S6

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
Re: Lesson frustration
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 11:21:28 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about your son and your divorce.  Those are two big things to have to deal with.   I wish you all the best for the future, I'm sure things will turn around for and sounds like they're starting to.  Hey you're back playing guitar which is great.  I'm also sorry if my reply is long.   I'll try to be brief but I know what I'm like. 

I've never had lessons.    I have been giving lessons for 20 years on and off though.    Lessons are just information.  No-one in history has become a good guitar player because they had so many lessons or the do called best teacher.    You become a good guitar player by spending countless hours alone with your instrument.  Many of these hours will be spent trying to figure out what the heck your teacher was on about.   

It's about small discoveries, regularly.   The info you get, if it's delivered to you well, will save you a lot of hours.  You'll have more discoveries more regularly.   

Two things, firstly yes yes yes,  someone better than you is a great source of info and jamming with them can be priceless.  Finding anyone willing to jam is like gold, don't discount that.  Next thing,  Justin is probably the best guitar teacher going around for two reasons, he knows more about music and playing guitar than anyone I've come across in my 35 years of playing.   So he has the info you need and will passionately give it to you,through his courses. Here's the big one though, he knows how to inject you with the info you need because he's a master in the art of communication and in teaching/learning.

So, in my humble opinion, if you don't connect with the teacher you met, you may struggle to get the info you want and need.  This is purely because there will be a communication barrier there like it or not.   Just because he's better than you isn't a good reason to go to him.    Youre location will be a factor,  but assuming you aren't living in a remote area, you can and will find loads of guitar playing type people who want to show you that they're better than you.  In other words,  jamming buddies.

I am just a guy who stumbled across Justin less than a year ago. I came across and loved a series of you tube Vids called 'rut busters' I was in a rut so I starting watching.   I was also studying the way he teaches.   To be honest I learn from him every time he opens his mouth. (if I'm around to hear it)

Yeah I guess my advice would be,  learn from Justin because he's a great teacher,  then go away and pick that guitar till you can't pick no more.   Wake up, drink coffee,repeat.   All the best with this awesome journey you've started,   and for every hour you spend playing your guitar,  you'll be rewarded for a hundred fold. 

Sent from my brain using a device, invented by a much larger brained person.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 11:38:38 pm by Alex6strings »
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 11:36:40 pm »
I agree 100% with the advice from Alex. And good vibes to you, Alex, for such excellent advice!
Gretsch G5420T,  Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 12:04:18 am »
I agree 100% with the advice from Alex. And good vibes to you, Alex, for such excellent advice!
Thank you Mari, good vibes back at you. 

Sent from my brain using a device, invented by a much larger brained person.

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline LouisK

• Good Vibes 1
  • Dazed and confused
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 01:58:45 am »
Alex - thank you! The only thing I was getting from live lessons was feedback on things like hand position. Helpful, but otherwise I'd rather give some $$ to Justin and find a buddy to play with.

As for life - it is getting better. Work, bicycle, guitar, eat, sleep, repeat.

Keep on picking and grinning!

Lou K
Remember when the music
Came from wooden boxes
Strung with silver wire

Seagull S6

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 114
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 04:37:27 am »
Alex, what excellent advise, I agree with every word of it. Louis another of Justin's series you may want to follow is his lessons with Tammy series. Here's the thread in the Community page https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=45138.0

It's very much like having a teacher right there in front of you, offering enough challenge to encourage you to grow, enough space for you to find your way, encouragement to be creative and he also takes time to correct hand position, strumming technique etc.

I hope your music can help you through this period of transition in your life. You'll find a supportive, kind, wise bunch of people here who all walk the way of the guitarist.

Offline guitardan

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 08:22:18 am »
Hi Louisk,
On reading your post, I found it interesting,  I think finding the right guitar teacher is quite hard to do, it has to be someone who's not just a good teacher, but someone you click with. I haven't found that person yet, for me Justin is as good as it gets...

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App