Author Topic: ibanez or epiphone  (Read 1276 times)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
  • What was I doing?
Re: ibanez or epiphone
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 08:46:30 pm »
You don’t have to spend a great amount of money to get a playable instrument, take a look at the series Justin did on a really cheap Amazon electric guitar - OK so it needed setting up properly and it didn’t sound as good as more expensive ones.
By being a bit more flexible in what you get is a better idea, there are some quite decent guitars out there that don’t cost too much. From my own experience my Harley Benton Jazzmaster copy which cost less then £100 (B stock), with a bit of work it has turned out to be nice to play and sounds ok; also my Revelation thin line telecaster copy which cost just under £200 again a bit of work and it’s perfectly acceptable for my use - on both instruments I’m talking about adjustments not replacing parts.
Have a good look around and see what’s available in your price bracket and go play some and choose the one that you like the most, don’t buy anything without having tried it out, it doesn’t matter how good it is supposed to be if you don’t find it good to play,
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline alien51

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2019, 11:28:53 pm »
I have to take issue with the parallels and strength of this analogy.
I do not see it as holding value.

A top-spec very expensive computer will be 100% fantastic - or thereabouts - in all respects of using it.

A cheap computer will be less capable at certain computational tasks.
But the mouse will still operate smoothly and respond well and accurately to left and right clicks.
The keyboard will likely be fairly easy to use and the keys will depress just fine.
In other words the physical aspects of touching and using the cheap computer will all be more than acceptable.

A cheap (and nasty - I want to emphasise that part as not all cheap guitars are nasty) guitar will be physically more difficult to play. Period.
It is not about any potential sounds that a novice player is unable to get from a much more expensive counterpart.
It is about physical discomfort and pain often times for beginners with no well developed callouses or technique or finger strength in the right places.

Umm, no, that wasn't what I said. I'm talking about not know what they really want or need and can end up being wasteful of that item.

Offline 8livesleft

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 01:30:18 am »
You don’t have to spend a great amount of money to get a playable instrument, take a look at the series Justin did on a really cheap Amazon electric guitar - OK so it needed setting up properly and it didn’t sound as good as more expensive ones.
By being a bit more flexible in what you get is a better idea, there are some quite decent guitars out there that don’t cost too much. From my own experience my Harley Benton Jazzmaster copy which cost less then £100 (B stock), with a bit of work it has turned out to be nice to play and sounds ok; also my Revelation thin line telecaster copy which cost just under £200 again a bit of work and it’s perfectly acceptable for my use - on both instruments I’m talking about adjustments not replacing parts.
Have a good look around and see what’s available in your price bracket and go play some and choose the one that you like the most, don’t buy anything without having tried it out, it doesn’t matter how good it is supposed to be if you don’t find it good to play,
This x10000

For a decade or so, my main guitar was an Ibanez SA160 that cost me $180.

It was super easy to setup and play. Very light and comfortable. Had zero problems with it in terms of electrics, hardware.

I also have a Gibson Les Paul Standard that came with fret buzz that I had to level and crown, weighs a TON and costs a heck of a lot more than my Ibanez.

Price IS NOT the be all and end all. There are a heck of a lot of great value guitars that professionals swear by. Ibanez, Yamaha, Washburn, Squier, Peavey, Fernandez, Harley Benton etc...you just have to try them all and not buy into the hype because pricey guitars can and do have issues as well.

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

Offline wittyusername

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2019, 03:54:22 am »
Brand loyalty is silly. Play guitars in a shop until you find one you like the feel and sound of. Buy that one.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2019, 11:33:58 pm »
This x10000

For a decade or so, my main guitar was an Ibanez SA160 that cost me $180.

What year was it made, and did you buy that new ?
Because the SA160 had a list price of roughly $449.99 during both production runs (2001-2005 and 2008-2011).

Brand loyalty is silly. Play guitars in a shop until you find one you like the feel and sound of. Buy that one.

Blind, unreasoned (or unreasonable) brand loyalty, sure, I'll gladly agree to call that silly.
Brand loyalty because of continued quality, a decent price point and/or a personal affinity with the models they sell ?
Can't see anything inherently wrong with that.

snip

That Justin feels that 'as long as you have a guitar to play it's fine', that's...
Really not how I got to know and love the man, but to my defense, since I don't watch his beginner videos these days (not surprising after having played guitar (badly) for 21 years  ;) ), I wasn't aware he'd switched opinions on that.
I'll have to agree to disagree, but my experience is from the guitar tech/sales side, on top of a regular guitar player's perspective, and...
Well, on the sales/tech side I've seen things (flaws in guitars, entire shipments that were sent back to the manufacturer for being 'monday morning mistakes') that would make most people cringe.

As for your computer analogy, I'm with close2u, it missed the bat entirely.
Again, I'm not advocating spending 500/1000 in any currency (or more like 2000 that a top of the line computer would cost) and be done with it, far from it.
The ESP/ltd guitars you mentioned were, as I already said, exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of : decent quality, but a bit above what you were looking at in price.
Same for that Ibanez ART, decent quality, far better than an Ibanez GIO, and far more likely to last you for a decent while.

And it's not about the price per sé, it's about knowing something with a bit more (lasting) quality, and knowing this unfortunately comes with a higher pricetag... well it is what it is.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:18:44 am by Dan Graves »

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 12:17:16 am »
snip

Darrell, you've been around these forums for a few years, you're a more experienced player, so you know the difference between salvageable or outright tat.
By now, you know how to do some of the work you mentioned when a guitar just needs some TLC to make it work, or at the very least you have someone you trust to do said work for you (and hopefully for a reasonable price), and you know how to work with what you have.
That you have progressed this far is great, and I want to sincerely congratulate you for getting to a point where you can make such calls for yourself, since that kind of knowledge is truly priceless.

However, where I have some reservations is the fact that, while you have that knowledge and experience, I get the feeling alien51 isn't quite at that point yet.
Is your advice sound for somewhat experienced players ?
Sure, you and I can do these things, as can others here.
But I'm not convinced it's a good idea to suggest this to someone who's still using a Squier Bullet Strat and hoping to upgrade.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:38:22 am by Dan Graves »

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2019, 07:29:09 am »
Dan, to a point I agree with what you say but the point I was trying to make is that you don’t have to spend a great deal more than the cost of the Bullet strat to get something quite a bit better.
Personally I wouldn’t touch that particular model with a barge pole, my absolute minimum would be the Affinity, but preferably the Standard. Thomann are doing some decent guitars at very good prices these days, they are definitely very much better than the tat they used to churn out! My Jazzmaster copy for which I paid £99 for was playable out of the box and is fitted with reasonable alnico P90 pups my adjustments were more for my satisfaction than necessity.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2019, 02:54:49 pm »
Fair point, to be sure, but again : local availability.
I can't find where Alien51 is from, so unless they fill us in on that, it'll be a gamble whether they can use Thomann or not.
After all, having Thomann ship to the United States or Australia, for example, would seem like a costly affair on shipping alone, not to mention the import taxes.

Offline 8livesleft

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2019, 02:50:05 am »

What year was it made, and did you buy that new ?
Because the SA160 had a list price of roughly $449.99 during both production runs (2001-2005 and 2008-2011).

I got mine new from a local shop in my country. The shop was closing so it was part of their going out sale. Got a nice peavey bass from them too. 1st gen SA.

Just an excellent all-rounder.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2019, 07:45:43 pm »
Then you're a lucky man indeed, provided the deal on the SA bass was equally decent.
Ibanez was one of the few companies who's quality didn't take a massive overall nosedive when they took production out of Korea, and even though the later SA160 had a few 'monday morning' guitars released, generally speaking they were excellent quality for what normally cost, so $180 is quite the steal.

Offline 8livesleft

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2019, 11:29:44 pm »
Then you're a lucky man indeed, provided the deal on the SA bass was equally decent.
Ibanez was one of the few companies who's quality didn't take a massive overall nosedive when they took production out of Korea, and even though the later SA160 had a few 'monday morning' guitars released, generally speaking they were excellent quality for what normally cost, so $180 is quite the steal.
Sorry, You're right. I mixed up the prices. The peavey was 180, the ibanez was 300. Oops was so long ago and Peso to dollar value has changed a lot since then haha

But still, I think that was a fantastic guitar. Wouldn't mind getting another.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 01:41:22 am by 8livesleft »

Offline eyepatch

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2019, 11:12:31 pm »
Hi !! Thats the same question i had a few months ago. Epi LP studio/special II/ VE vs ibanez ax120. Watched reviews from youtube and lurked in forums trying to find what other people who owned the guitar models i would like to buy as my 1st owned electric guitar. In the end i chose ibanez ax 120. Mainly because i liked the design more than the les paul models mentiond above. Specialy the block inlays on the fretboard.  Pricewise both are almost the same. The LP ve is cheaper for about 10-15usd and the special II have the same price. Let me tell you my impression on the ax120

Out of the box its ok. Fretwires are crowned properly( as far as what i felt is ok) action is also just ok for me nothing special almost the same action as the guitar owned by one of our live band performer on my work. So i thought its ok. Out of the box it is tuned. Not really heavy on my shoulders i felt ok with the weight. I havent played for a half day cuz i only played about an hour or 2hours max around every other day but i dont need to tune it for about 4 days playing. Build quality  i think ok i cant compare it with high end guitars cuz i havent even seen one in person. Pick ups are ok. I paired it with a cort cm30 amp and a mooer ge100 effects processor ( this is all the thing i can fit in my budget) well over all i dont regret buying the ibanez ax120 playability is just right for me as a beginer the the neck is just nice to hold for me. (Still learning how to properly hold the neck ) also out of the box i tried to check of there is a fret buzz but as far as youtube instruction goes there is none. Maybe the shop where i ordered it set it up already before they ship it so thats why it feels a lot better in my opinion. But over all no regrets.

Pls take note that im just a newbie in playing and owning an electric guitar. Im no expert in that field. Just sharing my expirience with the ibanez ax120

Sorry for my broken english

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Offline nfotis

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2019, 04:00:46 pm »
I was wondering which would be overall better, a ibanez ax120 or a epiphone les paul studio lt? Or are there other brand I could consider on?

In my opinion, the best idea would be to go try for yourself.

When I went to get my second LP, I tried an Epiphone LP Ultra III and a Gibson LP worn brown (Tribute). The Gibson felt better (the Epiphone neck was too slim for my tastes). So, even with the Gibson/Epiphone stable there are lots of differences in playability/neck/sound.

Usually, the Ibanez seem to have faster/slimmer necks and medium quality humbuckers compared to the recent Epiphones (the latter seem quite consistent these years)

Hope that helps,
N.F.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App