Author Topic: 2019 Cover #24 (Hotel California)  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019 Cover #24 (Hotel California)
« on: June 30, 2019, 10:10:52 pm »
An attempt at this #1 troubadour classic of all time. Don't play the picking pattern for the intro and not the solo in the end, just the middle part with strummed chords. Had some troubles with the rhythm and to sing and play at the same time with this one, but after some practice it works fairly well. Think it went pretty well, both playing and vocals. I did this in one take this morning without any warming up at all, just grabbed the guitar, checked the tuning, hit record and played. So taking that into account I am happy with the result. Cant' sing it anyway near like Don Henley of course (I think he sings an octave higher at least...) but it works ok in my own style. May need some more work with the phrasing also.

https://youtu.be/r414xWShwMc
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 157
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
Re: 2019 Cover #24 (Hotel California)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 02:04:28 am »
I like this song a lot and you did it pretty good justice to my ears. Enjoyed your version and keep them coming!

Rock and Cheers!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 05:44:24 am »
Good performance there, Johan, went pretty well as you say.  I didn't find anything too off putting in the phrasing, so if there is any work to be done it is very much polish rather than corrective.

I did notice a little more background hiss/noise on this recording than I recall hearing before.  Was OK once I turned my volume down ... hmmm ... maybe before I already had the volume down so never noticed?  So maybe nothing your side, rather my own problem  ::)

Perhaps this is another to build on and return in a while.  As you said, there is playing the intro with more picking, even if just playing a pattern over the chords rather than the melody.

Then I think you can play around with mixing the strumming up in the last verse.  I like to try slowing down to a single strum per chord in the first half of the verse, a build on the kill the beast line and then trying to pick up the energy in the second half (which I probably do by increasing my tempo rather than through say strumming 1/16 notes rather than 1/8s  :o )

Enjoyed the way you ended it, figuring out the ending has always put me off trying to get this up to recording performance levels.  Funnily enough this was one of the first songs I used to try and learn the guitar as 19 year-old ... you can imagine ... strumming away Am E G D and then shouting F :)  But did get me to be working on big old F from almost day one, which was a blessing in disguise.

Anyhow, enough of my personal rambles, well done !!

Offline sunjamrblues

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 07:04:26 am »
That was ambitious, Johan, but played and sung very well.  I have a Yamaha like yours, but for some reason yours sounds a lot better than mine.  Maybe it's too humid here in New Zealand.

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 10:28:47 am »
I thought you did great Johan.  I enjoyed your performance a lot.   The song you're covering was recorded with about 20 guitars and a heap of vocalists so its not an easy one to do solo.   I might be exagerating a tad but you know what I mean.   Great job,  keep them coming!

@sunjamrblues is that humidity cause of all the sheep?
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 10:33:15 am »
Thrown a like over on YouTube. Kudos for having a stab at this classic. I guess you're now just past the halfway mark of your challenge now; keep it up!
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 8

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 06:18:09 am »
Good stuff Johan. Impressed you could learn the words so quickly I did this one a few years ago and really struggled with the lyrics.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 02:46:11 pm »
Very well done Johan! Nice balance between your strumming and vocals. Every once in a while I will knock this out but most of the time I do an instrumental version. For some reason, I'm having some difficulty coordinating my singing with this one. Usually, this not too much of a problem for me but with this song....
Anyway, I am impressed with your performance here.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 06:50:33 am »
Thanks Lbro, David, sunjamrblues, alex, pilgrim, Gareth and David T (hilts) for listening and encouracing comments. I am really happy with this one. I think the playing is gettin' more confident and I starting to feel that I can actually can play the guitar without to much difficulty. Thats my goal, just to be able to pick up a guitar and strum some covers sounding ok and without messing up to bad.

Not there yet but I am getting close. I think its mainly the practice time that pays off. I have not kept track of practice/guitar hours but I think I am between 700 and 900 since I started as a first time beginner in March 2016. Just keep playing is the key for success. I try to practice/play 5-6 times a week, about 45-60 mins each time.

David : the sound quaility was not the best, not sure why. Need to experiment more with mic placing. Video quality very good though (new Iphone since the last one was smashed by my daughter…)  And yes some single strums in the verse with 'kill the beast' is a good idea to create more dynamics and to build some energy in the end.

sunjamrblues: Thanks, but after have heard some playing from you in some videos here, I find it hard to believe your Yamaha sounds bad...

Pilgrim: Yes half the year has passed, I am a little behind schedule, and now some holidays come up so may be tough to reach 52 by the end of the year. We'll see where I end up, my goal is still 52.

Gareth: The words has always come easy to me, must be a talent I have. And this song is a classic which I really didn't have to learn the lyrics, I just knew them from hearing this on the radio and in bars 1 000 000 times.

Again, thanks a lot, I love your comments, its really rewarding posting the weekly covers here.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 07:44:14 pm »
Hi Johan,

Great song.
Enjoyed your version.
Vocal is strong.
Playing has a nice fluidity.

Wish I still had a practice routine. I'm just so lazy. Playing has gone due south.

Digger

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 08:26:43 am »
Thanks Digger! #25 is delayed due to vacation in Spain. Its gonna be a classic from the 60’s where I will try to use the slap strum.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 10:26:00 pm »
I thought the playing was great.  Very tight, great timing.

Thanks for sharing!

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 07:54:45 am »
Nice job Johan, Acoustic tone really great and the rhythm was spot on. Nice job with the vocal as well.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 01:43:51 am »
Johan, Nice job on a great song.  Nothing wrong with singing an octave low if you have to, either.  Sounded good.  Nice strumming, and really like the tone of your guitar.  I hope you are working on refining these
one-a-week songs, as you are putting together quite a portfolio of music here.   Congrats on 24.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 05:59:46 pm »
Thanks Endureth, Rossco and oldhead. I see it as a natural next step to refine some of the songs I have recorded so far. During next year I will probably pick put a few of these songs and try to make them more personal and my own.

I plan to play this one together with my father later this summer. He is a pretty decent guitarist/singer, but we live quite far from each other so we seldom play together. I will probably play the rhythm and leave singing and some embellishments to him. Lets see how that works out.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 08:34:49 pm »
I will probably play the rhythm and leave singing and some embellishments to him. Lets see how that works out.

I look forward to it!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App