Author Topic: Bricks & Mortar Music Shops...A Dying Breed  (Read 327 times)

Offline Ziggy75

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
  • Metal Wizard in training
Bricks & Mortar Music Shops...A Dying Breed
« on: June 25, 2019, 07:40:12 pm »
I recently (yesterday) went to the nearest music shop to me (in the next town, and I must live in the only city without a music shop) with the intention of looking at acoustic guitars.  They didn't have many BIG names, a couple of Fenders which were out of my price range, so I asked to try a Tanglewood, just to see if it was better than the cheap one I already own which I don't enjoy playing. 

Whilst I was tuning the guitar, the lady who was in the shop brought over 2 other acoustics, that I assumed were in the same price range and set them up in front of me.  I didn't ask for her to do it, but I thought I'd give them a go. (I'm not very experienced with buying guitars)

I spent the next hour in a deserted shop trying the three guitars (and feeling self-conscious), quietly strumming the three guitars in turn until I found one I liked.  It was an "Indie" guitar with gold tuning pegs (which I wasn't fussed on), but it sounded nice and I liked the "feel" of it.  Something in me said it was the one.

When I told the lady I was finished, she brought the price tags over and put them on the guitars.  The one I chose was the most expensive at £275.  I must admit I baulked at the price, but moments later I was informed that I could get a £40 discount.  Happy with my choice, I put a £50 deposit on the beauty.  I pick it up on payday.

I also noticed that the strings on sale were 66% cheaper than on the internet, go figure.  I won't be buying guitars off websites in future, because we need these Brick & Mortar shops, and they are a dying breed.

I couldn't have asked for better service.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
Re: Bricks & Mortar Music Shops...A Dying Breed
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 08:02:15 pm »
It's going to be a said day when we can't go to a brick and mortar music stores.
The one I deal with and have since the late 70's has 3 store in Calgary.
The saleman I bought my first Les Paul from in 79 just retired about 2 years ago.

They have the best customer service and every new guitar comes with a free
set up with a year to have it done. This way you can take it home, play it and
figure out how you would like it set up. And take up to a year to have it done.
You won't get that from a web store.

Happy to here there are still places like the one you bought your guitar from.

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 01:41:16 am »
I make a point of buying the vast majority of my gear from local stores. I appreciate the service and the opportunity to try out different instruments, ask questions/talk, et cetera. I prefer smaller stores over the big chains (although I'll buy from them, too, if I need to).

FWIW, my two favorite stores are Texas Music Emporium in Houston and Guitar Tex in San Antonio.

Offline 1stGuitar

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 03:00:28 am »
I make a point of buying the vast majority of my gear from local stores. I appreciate the service and the opportunity to try out different instruments, ask questions/talk, et cetera. I prefer smaller stores over the big chains (although I'll buy from them, too, if I need to).

FWIW, my two favorite stores are Texas Music Emporium in Houston and Guitar Tex in San Antonio.

Could not agree more.  I also try to support my local music store.  One time several years ago, when I was in a "Best Buy" a salesman there told me they were becoming the "show room of the internet".  People would come in and look at all their TVs, listen to all  their audio stuff and then go home and order it over the web.  Guitar Centers are becoming like that.  They generally carry many guitars, etc. and people go in there and play them, try them out and then walk out.  It's sad and I can see the convenience of sitting at your laptop in the comfort of ones home and ordering stuff - especially if free shipping and tax free.  But one can never get the same level of customer service and shared knowledge that comes from the mom and pop shops.  Many of the local stores will try to price match. 

Offline 8livesleft

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 06:14:21 am »
I envy you guys.

I live in a province of a 3rd world country and, although we have a bunch of guitar stores, none of them carry more than a handful of guitars. And most of the stock are either the very lowest end or old rusty relics of B-level stuff.

I went to a Guitar Center in the US earlier this year. Man, what a selection! Wall to wall guitars, amps. And FANTASTIC service.

I got a guitar, saw another one that I liked more and asked if I could swap it. The manager said to just bring the receipt. I said I lost it, he said "no problem, we'll print one out for you." They got my guitar, without even opening the case to check and brought out the guitar I wanted and that's that.

That would NEVER happen in my country. The only time they'll take back a guitar is if there was some issue and even then, they'll just take the guitar to "evaluate" it and ask you to come back anywhere from 6 days to 6 months and by the time you get the guitar, the issue *might be fixed but then it would be scratched, dented and have a whole new issue.

Without a receipt, don't even bother. Even if there's only ONE dealer and all the people in the store remember you, they won't take the guitar back no matter what's wrong with it.

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App