Author Topic: 001 2019 "I Hear My Own Music" by Len Aloise  (Read 2890 times)

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
Re: 001 2019 "I Hear My Own Music" by Len Aloise
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 03:32:24 am »
Great job Len and thanks for the bit of background.   Lovely sounding Martin you have there and I you played it really well.   Cool lyrics you came up with here.

Sent from my brain using a device, invented by a much larger brained person.

thank you so much!

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 01:37:02 pm »
Wow!  Impressive on your musical journey. The song was really enjoyable. Great fingerpicking. Keep them coming, Len!

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2019, 04:19:56 pm »
Len,
Singing over fingerstyle after just 6 years is impressive. One day I'll be able to do it..... Nice composition, well picked and sung, nothing more to add really.
Neil

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2019, 05:53:13 pm »
Wow!  Impressive on your musical journey. The song was really enjoyable. Great fingerpicking. Keep them coming, Len!

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

thank you so much! and a journey it has been, never thought it would take me this far! ...... not a regret but wish I had started when I was much younger!

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2019, 05:57:30 pm »
Len,
Singing over fingerstyle after just 6 years is impressive. One day I'll be able to do it..... Nice composition, well picked and sung, nothing more to add really.
Neil

thank you much! and singing with fingerstyle was harder than I expected, sometimes I start that way and finish with my hand just strumming when I just get so into it!........ so right now it takes some real concentration but seems to be getting easier as I find more songs to play this way! Thank you again for your kind words!

Len

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 154
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2019, 07:30:58 pm »
nice song, the song, lyrics and vibe all go together very well; It felt like riding along so it felt authentic.
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2019, 03:21:22 am »
nice song, the song, lyrics and vibe all go together very well; It felt like riding along so it felt authentic.

I've gotten some good song ideas riding around like this! This was one of them!

Thank you for the kind comments!

Len

Offline kontenda

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2019, 05:14:57 am »
Very nice Aloise. Good work on the finger picking and a really mellow feel to your voice. Well done for creating your own album - and getting out and playing open mics.

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2019, 02:19:45 pm »
Very nice Aloise. Good work on the finger picking and a really mellow feel to your voice. Well done for creating your own album - and getting out and playing open mics.

Thank you! It's been quite the journey so far!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2019, 10:49:27 am »
Inspirational work all around Len.
Writing, singing, playing everything.
:)
Your journey over the six years as a mature raw beginner to now is a treat to watch unfold.
And the fact you're getting out to perform your songs at open mic nights must be hugely satisfying. And recording them too!

I can't help but notice some technical issues with your playing that I really feel you will benefit from observing, analysing and correcting for long-term gain.

It is your finger-picking. Especially your thumb and your picking patterns.
Using thumb and two fingers is not the issue.
Mark Knopfler does just that so it is not a hindrance.

I notice it in this song and in the slower song you have also linked to in your reply to Garfield.

When playing finger-picking songs such as yours, the thumb is the engine, the rudder, the captain.
You have to decide what bass pattern you want to play with the thumb.

On I Hear My Own Music:
Your thumb plays:
G chord: A string, D string on the counts of 1, 2, 3, 4
C chord: (slight flub) A string, D string on the counts of 1, 2, 3, 4
then it changes to
G chord: D string, A string on the counts of 1, 2, 3, 4
C chord: D string, A string on the counts of 1, 2, 3, 4

Then through large sections of the song your thumb seems to have its own way and randomly decides whether to start the bars on the D or on the A string.
You occasionally chop a beat out of a bar to make it a bar of 3/4 in order to get your thumb back on track.
These random adjustments seem to happen as / when you realise that your thumb is doing its own thing.

I strongly urge you to slow your picking patterns right down and force your self to watch your thumb, think of your thumb, mentally decide where your thumb is going for every count of 1, 2, 3, 4.
Train it to play the pattern consistently rather than randomly.

Also, you're playing big G but in this (and the other linked song) you're not playing the 6th string root note of the G chord with your thumb at all.
In Don't Let The Old Man In this tendency of your thumb to not play the low E string is also apparent on the E chord.

Many simple picking patterns hit the root note on the 1 and 3 and 3rd on the 2 and 4.
First example below.
Or root, 5th, root, 5th. as in the second example below.
Or root, 3rd, root 5th as in the third example below.
So for a G chord that is:

1      2      3      4          1      2      3      4          1      2      3      4
D                                             0             0                               0
A             2             2                                                 2         
E      3             3                 3            3                  3              3

Try these thumb patterns in isolation slowly, with no finger picked melody at all. Just thumb picking to train your thumb and get it working consistently.

I'm trying to offer constructive advice so please, please do not be at all deterred from your playing, your music, your writing. You are doing fabulously well and all credit and kudos to you.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 12:22:04 pm by close2u »

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2019, 12:13:56 pm »
Inspirational work all around Len.
Writing, singing, playing everything.
Your journey over the six years as a mature raw beginner to now is a treat to watch unfold.
And the fact you're getting out to perform your songs at open min=c nights must be hugely satisfying. And recording them too!

I can't help but notice some technical issues with your playing that I really feel you will benefit from observing, analysing and correcting for long-term gain..............

Thank you so much for the deep analysis of my fingerstyle!

I'm sure you saw my previous reply about my struggles with this technique, so much so that I just moved forward without it until earlier this year. Not sure what got me back to it but probably a new song I really wanted to play and tried again. I'm very aware of my thumb action or inaction which sympathises with my pinky I think! So this 3 finger style came out of me and so far this is as far as it has gotten.

But now that I am this far, I'm certain it will continue to progress. So I will continue to work on all the details you have provided and see where it goes!

Thank you for listening, watching and especially for the advice, it is most appreciated!

Len

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2019, 03:26:25 pm »
I just wanted to give a big thank you to all for the listens and kind comments on my original song and guitar playing for this contest! My YouTube channel has never seen this much activity........ all the listens and replays on this song (and some of my others) is most appreciated!

Len

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2019, 12:59:41 pm »
Great stuff :) enjoyed your song and performance! :)

Like the sentiment of the song too.

The one thing that didn't work for me is that I didn't always feel 'where 1 is' in the rhythm and sometimes it made me feel like the melody wasn't in the right place, but once I started tapping my foot along, it was fine - but I would work on getting that picking pattern so it's slightly more accemnting either the 1, or the backbeat (2 and 4) to give it a stringer rhythmic feel.

But great stuff and on your second album already is amazing! more power to you! :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2019, 03:52:18 pm »
Great stuff :) enjoyed your song and performance! :)

Like the sentiment of the song too.

The one thing that didn't work for me is that I didn't always feel 'where 1 is' in the rhythm and sometimes it made me feel like the melody wasn't in the right place, but once I started tapping my foot along, it was fine - but I would work on getting that picking pattern so it's slightly more accemnting either the 1, or the backbeat (2 and 4) to give it a stringer rhythmic feel.

But great stuff and on your second album already is amazing! more power to you! :)

Thank you so much for all that! I am honored that you have listened and the advice is most appreciated! Most important, thank you Justin for teaching me to play the guitar!

Len Aloise

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2019, 12:03:06 pm »
Len,  Congratulations and such a well deserving winner. You were my pick to win, and one or two others were close.  You created something that didnt exist before, and it was really good.   I hope you get that big ole Martin out and write some more tunes. You're good at it mate.   Great job and enjoy your win.  Cheers to you
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Get The Forum As A Mobile App