Author Topic: 001 2019 "I Hear My Own Music" by Len Aloise  (Read 3661 times)

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
001 2019 "I Hear My Own Music" by Len Aloise
« on: June 24, 2019, 01:17:08 pm »
Here is my original song for this quarter's contest.....it's call "I Hear My Own Music"

It's a song about riding around in your car, with the windows open, and hearing the sounds of the day......that has been a spring summer activity of mine for many years! My performance here is done fingerstyle on an acoustic guitar with mic and guitar going thru the same amp with a bit of reverb on both and some chorus added for good measure all recorded/videoed on my android phone.

This song was recorded a few days ago as preparation for an upcoming open mic night locally. It is also a preview of sorts as the song will be released later this year with multiple guitars, bass, drums, and piano (more on that below)

so here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foPWVHguGMY

about me......I bought my first guitar 6 years ago, I was 56 years old then. I spent the first and second years of my learning with Justin's Beginner and Intermediate books including songbook then moved on to 4 of his other song books in year three. In year four I finally figured out how to play and sing (not an easy feat) and went to my first open mic performance! Also that year I wrote my first song and a year later decided I could put out my own "album" so recorded 10 of my own songs and released an album call "Chrome & Steel" (don't expect much when you find it!). Now year 6 of my guitar journey and I am again going to put out an album of 10 of my original songs (this one included).......all this from Justin Guitar!

So, I hope you like my song! Feel free to follow my on YouTube (or Soundcloud, Twitter, etc).......and lastly.........thank you Justin for teaching me to play the guitar!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 10:05:22 am by close2u »

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 241
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: 001 2019 "I Hear My Own Music" by Len Aloise
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 02:40:04 pm »
Good to hear from you again, Len.

Enjoyed the song.  Playing and singing smooth and together.  Plenty of energy at that tempo.  I studied your finger-picking with a measure of wishfulness :)

I'd like to fully understand the recording process.  Got it that the guitar and mic you sang into both plugged  into an amp.  Then how was the video produced?  Just a simple phone picking up the sound of the amp?  Something more complicated?

Well done. 

Oh and have to say I enjoyed listening to your first album, most enjoyable it was.

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 02:47:10 pm »
All recorded/ videoed with my android phone. It does a really good job if placed properly and the amp volume just right!

I added that info now to my original post for the benefit of anyone reading so thanks for asking! And thanks for the good words and listening to my original 10+ songs!

Len

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 241
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 02:49:24 pm »
All recorded/ videoed with my android phone. It does a really good job if placed properly and the amp volume just right!

I added that info now to my original post for the benefit of anyone reading so thanks for asking! And thanks for the good words and listening to my original 10+ songs!

Len

Thanks and my pleasure, Len

Offline brianlarsen

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 03:02:51 pm »
Well, Hello 'Poppy' 
It a year (minus 4 days) since I commented on your last original and like fine wine, you're still improving  ;)
(Tbh I wouldn't have put money on my continuing presence here, but I'm still having a blast)

This is a really nice original; smooth finger-picking, well sung, confident performance.
Vibes for the performance as well as the upcoming album of originals  8)

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 03:49:07 pm »
well thanks for remembering me! still doing something every day for about an hour or so..... learning a technique, a new song, a something......I always come back to Justinguitar!

I think you will like my 10 new songs, a big leap from last year in style, sound, and consistency...... should be ready in September......so stay tuned and thanks again for listening....and remembering me!

Len

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 04:04:36 pm »
Hi,
Nice song, play and vocals. Must be something magical about summer and rolling down the windows!

Really liked your fingerwork and drive to get better!

All my best as you rock down your musical journey path!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 04:34:43 pm »
Hi,
Nice song, play and vocals. Must be something magical about summer and rolling down the windows!

Really liked your fingerwork and drive to get better!

All my best as you rock down your musical journey path!
LB

Thank you much and thanks for listening!

Len

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 06:58:08 pm »
I enjoyed your song, the sound is very nice, and your finger picking is great. Glad to see you join in the competition :)

Mari
Gretsch G5420T,  Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 07:50:15 pm »
I enjoyed your song, the sound is very nice, and your finger picking is great. Glad to see you join in the competition :)

Mari

thank you so much! the fingerstyle has been long in getting sorted out but finally started to "own" it about three months ago. I am enjoying some songs I learned a few years back again because I have this now as an optional way of playing them! some days I even surprise myself!

Online Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 06:43:25 am »
Hi Len
Well done on the song and entering the contest. Your finger picking looks very good. All in all well played and sung. I'm glad to hear you're a late starter and still doing an hour a day.

Do you ever play G with the ring finger on the low E string? It's much easier when going to and from C. The changes sounded fine if it wasn't for watching it I wouldn't have known.
G

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 12:07:18 pm »
Hi Len
Well done on the song and entering the contest. Your finger picking looks very good. All in all well played and sung. I'm glad to hear you're a late starter and still doing an hour a day.

Do you ever play G with the ring finger on the low E string? It's much easier when going to and from C. The changes sounded fine if it wasn't for watching it I wouldn't have known.
G

My fingerstyle is mostly a 3 finger style as I have found my 3rd finger to be mostly "uncooperative" after a couple years of trying. So uncooperative that I gave up on fingerstyle for quite awhile. But I went back to it early this year and "found" this method coming out of me that you are watching. It works for some of my songs (and not for others).

Watch this song here played much slower https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QG1KbIBTK0 and you can probably pick up on my technique much better. Most of the songs I write weren't written for fingerstyle but now that I'm making progress again I expect there will be more!

Thanks for watching, thanks for the comments!

Len Aloise

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 76
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 02:30:37 pm »
Beautiful finger style. Sounds great. Nice flow to the rhythm.

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 05:33:03 pm »
Beautiful finger style. Sounds great. Nice flow to the rhythm.

thank you much!

Len

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 11:17:41 pm »
Great job Len and thanks for the bit of background.   Lovely sounding Martin you have there and I you played it really well.   Cool lyrics you came up with here.

Sent from my brain using a device, invented by a much larger brained person.

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Get The Forum As A Mobile App