Author Topic: Travel/Portable Guitar  (Read 235 times)

Offline crash42

• Good Vibes 0
Travel/Portable Guitar
« on: June 21, 2019, 10:01:54 pm »
Can anyone recommend a portable/travel/foldable type guitar that I can put in my suitcase for travel?

I have a standard Yamaha acoustic at home, but I wanted a portable type guitar.  Traveling with a regular acoustic in a case is not an option for me.

I'm a newbie and sound isn't that important.  I just want to be able to practice chords, strumming, fretting etc. by myself in my hotel room.

Thank you in advance.

Devon
Austin, TX

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
Re: Travel/Portable Guitar
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 10:33:29 pm »
Hi Devon.   Off the top of my head Martin make a popular fold up type travel guitar.  The Backpacker I believe it's called.   I've not owned one but I've read many a forum post over the years from happy owners.  I can't think of who makes it but the Voyager Air also seems to be a popular choice for travelling with. 
I just googled both guitars and the Voyager Air is more of a traditional acoustic guitar that folds at the neck joint.   The backpacker is a strange looking thing but and has a price tag (in Australia) which might be higher than your Yamaha.   I'm sure someone/s here will be knowledgeable about these guitars.
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline guitardan

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 08:21:16 am »
Hi Google, travelerguitar, I think this is the sort of guitar that will suit your needs.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline OpsRes

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 11:38:31 am »
My solution to wanting a guitar while travelling was to get a Traveller Guitar (the brand), I have the ultra light electric. https://travelerguitar.com/pages/electric When I want to have the full electric sound I use an iRig2 and run it thru an "amp" on my iPhone.
The guitar is easy to travel with, I've taken it to the in-laws, flown within North America, over to Europe and southeast Asia without problem (it fits in the overhead bin easily). I've even taken it on a month long cruise.
Funny story about the cruise. While we were doing the check-in I noticed another passenger was also carrying a Traveller and so of course I had to go over and say hello. As it turned out we became friends quite quickly. As we chatted I mentioned that I am doing an on-line course to learn how to play, he said that he was doing the same thing. Well it turns out that we are both doing the Justin Guitar program, we are about at the same level and we like the same type of song.  Oh and by the way, he is also from Tasmania, as is Justin. Pretty awesome to meet another Justinite (if that's a word) on the other side of the world.
And BTW they have also come out with a "Strat" type model. https://travelerguitar.com/products/travelcaster-deluxe-candy-apple-red

Cheers

Offline simon3142

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 05:27:12 pm »
You could think about a guitalele such as the Yamaha GL1. It is like a quarter size guitar.
The sound is more like a ukulele than a guitar but all the chord shapes work the same as a guitar although the chord names are the same as a guitar with a capo on the 5th fret.
There are several reviews on Youtube.
Gear: Aparicio AA30, Ibanez AS103, Simon&Patrick Woodland Mini Jumbo, Cube X20
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/simon3142

Offline 8livesleft

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 05:55:32 am »
Check this out: https://www.lapaxe.com/

I love my Lapaxe EX-MH. Standard tuned. Fits in medium or large luggage but I normally carry it in my backpack.

Small enough to play in an economy seat.

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App