Author Topic: Midlife Guitar's Road Case (Beginner Guitar Journey)  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Midlife Guitar

• Good Vibes 1
    • Midlife Guitar Blog
Midlife Guitar's Road Case (Beginner Guitar Journey)
« on: June 15, 2019, 08:07:40 pm »
Hi All,

Inspired by this course and reading the book Guitar Man by Will Hodgkinson (worth a read) I started my own YouTube channel tracking my mid life beginner guitar progress.

Yes, I have no shame in sharing my lack of musical ability.

As a Dad approaching 40 years old and with two young girls, my time is limited and I don’t really know anyone learning guitar or who plays guitar that lives near me.

This all means my learning is quite isolated and is partly the reason I decided to do this, to connect with others out there on their guitar journey and to help hold myself accountable.

I have no YouTube experience either so am learning video production and editing along the way. So it is all a big learning curve at the moment.

Anyway I am currently on stage 5 of the beginner course, here is a link to my latest video on my YouTube Channel:

I also do monthly 'round ups' to show what songs I may or may not have learnt, first one here:

It would be great to hear from any of you and I welcome any advice or opinions on any element of what I am doing.

Cheers

Luke

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 447
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Midlife Guitar's Road Case (Beginner Guitar Journey)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 08:56:36 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum.
I have moved your first post to what seemed a better location in the forum.
I'll be sure to check out your vids and channel when I get some time.
:)

Offline sdd56

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 09:28:30 pm »
Hi Luke - have watched a few bits of some of your videos - a worthwhile project which I think will help a lot of other beginners. You are a natural presenter.

My first impression, seeing that you are on stage 5 after 5 weeks, was that you were rushing the course. Most people seem to take about a month per stage.

But then I saw your attempt at Wonderwall at stage 3 - it would have taken me months to reach that level so you obviously have some natural ability.

But I still think you may be missing out on some of the basics by progressing so fast through the stages. And be aware that you will hit plateaus where you feel that you aren't progressing - everybody does!

Good luck in your journey, I will watch your progress with interest, and envy!
Stan
Started BC Sept 2016, currently on stage 8.
Acoustic: Yamaha F310, Washburn WD7, Freshman FA1AN
Electric: Yamaha ERG121, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro
https://soundcloud.com/user-372122422
aka Stan

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 248
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 09:54:02 pm »
Welcome, Luke. 

I've watched some of the videos, left a couple of comments.

Never mentioned but have to say you common across well and the intro is great ... cheers !!

I think your strumming is coming along remarkably well.  I too was impressed by Wonderwall.  But all the clips I heard you playing sounded pretty good. 

I didn't look at any songs with B7 which I found hard but saw the OMCs were up there.

Personally, took me ages to get to stage 5, maybe 6 months.  Then to use the triplet strumming I worked up a way to play Before You Accuse Me with just trip-let strumming.  It sounded OK, not that chunka chunka Justin played on the clip that you embedded in your video.  Actually still have to work on that before I could play and sing over it.

So perhaps you are moving a little fast or just hit something that will take a little more effort.  And that's fine.

I suggest you post some recordings of just you playing songs in the Performance/Progress area of the Community.  You are more likely to find people watching a 2-4 minute video of a song, than the longer journal entries.

Anyhow, wish you well on the adventure ...

Offline Midlife Guitar

• Good Vibes 1
    • Midlife Guitar Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 09:39:12 pm »
@close2u

Thanks for the welcome and moving my post, completely missed this section of Roadcases. Look forward to checking them out.

@sdd56

I am hoping the same, that it can provide some value for those thinking about learning who have a few more years on the clock and have doubts and uncertainty.

I think you and @DavidP have a point about me moving through the course too quickly and will take this on board.

I guess I am trying to strike a balance with keeping people interested on YouTube while also developing my own skill on the instrument. I just need to figure out how to slow it down and still make it interesting, food for thought, great comments, thanks.

Also this week I have definitely hit a plateau with the F Chord which I will talk about in my next video.

@DavidP

Thanks for the kind words. It can be hard to get much feedback when starting a YouTube channel so I appreciate your comments, cheers! haha

Good suggestion on the songs in the performance area, will have a look at that.

Thanks again.

Offline Midlife Guitar

• Good Vibes 1
    • Midlife Guitar Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 11:37:52 pm »
Hi All,

An update on where my journey is at if you don't follow my YouTube Channel.

I am on the last stage of the Beginner course. Currently working on the consolidation of what I have learned to date plus learning some new songs in order to have at least 10 under my belt that I am confident playing all the way through.

I have hit a few plateaus along the way, as others mentioned I would, but I tend not to try and perfect things but rather get a good grasp on them and then move on. This helps with my feeling of progress and keeps me motivated.

So here a couple of recent videos, if you would like to join me on YouTube it would be great to have you along.

Cheers,

Luke

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 04:37:11 am »
Welcome to the forum Luke. What a great way to mark your progress. Can you imagine how it will feel in 12 months time to look back at this? You have lots going for you, most of all you don't seem to suffer from 'red button paralysis' the moment you hit the record button.

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 07:25:29 pm »
Sorry Luke. This is wrong! On your YouTube channel you’re giving beginner guitar buying advice with a ‘buy now’ link to Amazon for your recommended buy. Advice to beginners should surely be try try try different guitars until you find the one that suits. You are hoping to make money here with Amazon. Not what this site is about!
Martin D28 Reimagined : Gibson SG Standard.
Boss Katana 50 : Digitech Trio+ & FS3X.
Arrived Feb 2018. BC completed, now on IM & Fingerstyle. Played a Framus archtop accoustic as a teenager in the late 60’s, then life got in the way for 50 years.

Offline Midlife Guitar

• Good Vibes 1
    • Midlife Guitar Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 12:23:10 am »
Hi All,

So just an update on where I am at.

I have just completed the Beginners course and have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed it. There has been some ups and downs but it has been great fun.

If you have done the final stage of the Beginners course then you will know that you need to be able to play 10 songs all the way through.

This video showcases that although I don't play them all the way through as I thought would bore most people.

Everything is a little rough around the edges but I feel really proud of where I have got so I just wanted to share with you all.

Now I need to decide where to go next.

Cheers

Luke

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 248
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 07:23:27 am »
Pop the champagne, Luke.  What a fabulous moment to celebrate.  I really enjoyed your showcase, and at times was unexpectedly impressed.  Don't mean that to sound diminishing, rather that I think your performance of say Fast Car, given how much time you have spent learning, was exceptional.

Of course there are the rough edges you mention.  Your path is your own, of course, and I think you have probably covered far more ground than I did in my first 6 months.  I probably stuck a round on some of the bits for longer, trying to smooth off a few more rough edges ... and I still have plenty rough edges.  So maybe more time needed in consolidation befoe moving on ... and given this I hope you won't declare the journey done, you sounded really good, smooth with feeling in the best moments.

Where next, I am curious as to your thinking and inclinations.  As I say, hope you continue and keep on sharing here.

Once again, BRAVO

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 447
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 09:23:30 am »
Fantastic update Luke. And what a milestone. Well done.
If I can give any pointers it would be that 5 months is quick so I advise that you consolidate, consolidate, consolidate. And one key aspect to help with that is going to be learn songs, learn songs, learn songs. Ten is not very many. You want to have a crack at learning 20-30-40-50.
Also - one thing I notice is inconsistent tempo. So do try to correct that.
Play with a metronome, a drum beat, along with the original track (slowed if necessary).
Do air changes between open and barre chords especially.
:)

Offline Midlife Guitar

• Good Vibes 1
    • Midlife Guitar Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 05:03:40 pm »
Thanks for your kind words and for the constructive feedback it has really made me think and this is exactly what I needed.

I was watching the 'effective practice' module where Justin talks about goals and this along with your comments has helped me figure out what to do next and where I want to go on this journey.

Initially, I thought I would just carry on with the course but I have decided to take a break from the course and learn more songs and practice these alongside a metronome (thanks close2u).

There are some songs that I really want to play that are linked with the direction I want to go in.

There is one song in particular that comes to mind that I started at the beginning of the journey that was way above my level and I never finished. I now want to revisit that, the song is 'Anji' by Davy Graham. There are also some Neil Young songs I'd like to learn along with a host of others.

I like many types of music but the folk/fingerstyle guitar and the blues/rock areas are probably my biggest interests so that is the path I plan to take.

Offline Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 05:50:36 pm »
You finished the BC in 5 months? wow, way to go my friend, now let's crack that Intermediate bad boy going!
Stage 4 in progress...

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 248
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 05:20:19 am »
Luke,

Seems like our musical taste and aspirations may have quite some overlap.

So my 2cs, for what it is worth ... hopefully at least 2cs :)

I was blessed to be picked as "winner" in one of the JG Community song contests last year, and got to spend an hour or so with Justin via Skype.  Firstly, it was great to have him watch me play and get confirmation that my level of ability was appropriate for somebody at the end of BC.

We spoke about the next and I was sharing all the aspirations and interests and the key piece of advice he gave me was "focus" i.e. pick something and concentrate on it, maybe 4-6 months.  Then review, maybe move to something else, maybe continue.  Rather this than doing lessons in blues lead, finger-style and IM work.

Based on this advice, I started to try the 16th note strumming in IM Foundation and the first lessons of the Folk Finger Style Module.  And within a month, I'd stopped doing the 16th note practice and was just working on finger-style.  And that has been my technique learning and practice for this year.

As Close and others say, learning songs is key.  And with the interest in folk/finger-style/acoustic play, I find that playing and singing is what takes it all to the next level.  Singing is a whole other thing, mine is best effort, but being able to play and sing really makes the songs come to life if playing on your own.  As you said, you cut samples of the 10 songs in your video because for a listener, hearing somebody strum a song like Knocking on Heavens Door through verse after verse can become a bit boring without vocals.

So my approach has been to find a song and work on it until I can play it as well as I can, then work on it some more and try to learn to sing and play it and then finally record me playing and singing it.

Hope that long story may be helpful as you move along.

Offline Midlife Guitar

• Good Vibes 1
    • Midlife Guitar Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 08:01:30 pm »
I think you are right David and thanks for sharing your experience with Justin as it has helped shaped what I am doing now.

Over the last month, I have been concentrating on fingerstyle and learning some Neil Young stuff, really only 3 songs total but it has been really good getting to grips with them. With 'Anji' in particular, there are so many techniques to learn that I have found it really valuable.

One thing that I have struggled with though is how I practice. There was so much structure to the beginner course that now I am 'on my own' for a while (3 to 4 months) it feels a bit too loose.

I initially drew up my time to split it between music theory and learning songs but have found that the learning songs part is taking over as it so much fun.

Should I be more disciplined with this or just enjoy learning what I want to learn? or maybe I am just overthinking it all? I appreciate any advice.

Anyway, below is part of what I have been doing.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App