Author Topic: Is it weird to enjoy listening to yourself?  (Read 197 times)

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 29
Is it weird to enjoy listening to yourself?
« on: June 14, 2019, 04:43:49 pm »
Like most of us, I used to hate and cringe at recordings of myself.

But I was listening back to a few things today on SoundCloud and actually found myself enjoying listening to them. Not because it was me, but just I enjoyed listening to it as music.

I've heard famous bands talk about not looking their own choices so is this unusual?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
Re: Is it weird to enjoy listening to yourself?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 06:16:34 pm »
I think that's normal. Your making songs in your style, to suit your taste. You should like them.

As to not liking your own voice, I got used to mine when I started recording with a good mic. Having Keith mixing really helps. He makes me sound good. Listening to the raw tracks is still torture. Haha. I still cringe. But I usually listen to them so I can hear if the cats are screaming or my stomach is growling. He once sent me a track of guitar that sounded like he was eating cookies while he was playing. Haha. I think it was just his chair creaking though.

I'll never be comfortable watching myself on video, though. That's a bridge too far. 

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 10:00:41 pm »
Efit. Should read "you're" not "your". Oops.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 10:05:51 pm »
I also listen to my recordings every now and then, John. And some of them I do enjoy, think they sound ok. Still very simple, lots to work on but at the same time many beyond what I thought I could do. So it is a reminder of progress,  which is encouraging.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 01:32:53 am »
I listen to my own recordings a lot, because I record and play a lot. It really isn't a matter of liking my music, it's about trying to hear where I need to improve. In my case there is a lot of room for improvement. I listen to my mixes under all different kinds of scenarios (car, PC, phone, headphones, soundbar, TV, etc). So maybe it is weird now that I think about it. :)

Offline Alex6strings

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 02:23:14 am »
Neary every time I'm alone and practicing I record myself.  Like CT I always listen back,  I'm listening for things I don't necessarily hear when I'm playing.   

I think it's great that you enjoy listening to yourself.    I do to at times.   I don't sing but I play constantly and for me recording myself is a great way to fine tune my playing.   I occasionally nail a practice session and those recordings get saved and listened to alot,  because I enjoy it.   

Sent from my brain using a device, invented by a much larger brained person.

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Get The Forum As A Mobile App