Author Topic: Digitech Trio+ Some advice please.  (Read 1055 times)

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Digitech Trio+ Some advice please.
« on: June 13, 2019, 12:40:32 pm »
Those of you who’ve read my ‘looper pedal for boss katana 50’ posts know I’ve bought a Trio+, so I thought I should start a new topic for my question. 

When creating ‘band’ backings if a song verse or chorus has a chord progression that repeats twice (or more), is it best to play the verse/chorus all the way through or only play one progression and then use the sequence button to repeat the progression?
I’ve tried both ways but am getting into a terrible muddle. I’m trying to do ‘Lay lady lady’ but some of the choruses have 2 progressions, others have 3.
The sequence facility has 5 spaces but when verses and or choruses vary in length 5 variations is not enough. I’m maybe answering my own question here as in this case you would record one progression.

Advice please guys!
Martin D28 Reimagined : Gibson SG Standard.
Boss Katana 50 : Digitech Trio+ & FS3X. 
BC Feb 2018 - Apr 2019. May 2019 consolidating BC and starting IM.
Played a Framus 5/50 Archtop from 1968 to 1972. Don’t know where that guitar or the years have gone!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Digitech Trio+ Some advice please.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 01:11:31 pm »
Think of a song in repeating sections, some of which are identical, some of which may vary.

Examples.

Section A (verse) - 8 bars, 4 chords x2 each
Section B (chorus) - 12 bars, 3 chords x4 each
Section C (bridge) - 8 bars, 2 chords x4 each

Record each section separately and assign to a different button on the Trio+.

Song structure:
A, A, B, A, B, C, B, B
Press buttons
1, 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 2, 2

Suppose that there is a variation on section A making it not 8 but 10 bars long for instance, you would need to record a separate section D and assign it accordingly to a button on the Trio+.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 03:45:06 pm by close2u »

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 01:51:22 pm »
Thanks close. But if you add an intro and outro to your example and the verses are different? Not enough spaces in the sequence.
Working hard at this, it’s great fun but a bit frustrating when it gets messed up and you have start all over again!
Played a Framus 5/50 Archtop from 1968 to 1972. Don’t know where that guitar or the years have gone!

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 03:16:20 pm »
In your example in the first post. I would record your chord progression once (not the full Chorus). Then when you programme the song for those choruses where it repeats twice you press the button associated with that chord progression twice and then for those choruses where the the chord progression is three time your press the button associated with that progression three times.

You might only have 5 parts you can record BUT when programming the song you can programme those parts in any order and as many times as you like, just by pressing the button again. I've only had odd times where a Chorus or Verse varies slightly through the song that I've almost run out of parts BUT it's pretty rare.

Look at Close's post again. What he describes as a Section is one of your five parts you can record. The button presses are for when you are programming the song.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 04:31:34 pm »
Thanks Rossco
I’m getting there with this but I’ve recorded and re-recorded the parts and re-sequenced them so many times today that what used to be one of my favourite Dylan songs is in danger of becoming one I never want to hear again!

I’ve also realised you have to write down exactly what you’ve done, otherwise you get in a total mess forgetting which part is which and what each part contains.

As I said before, it’s great fun but where has the day gone?

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 07:53:10 pm »
Its a bit of a learning curve but once you are there it gets a lot easier. In terms of remembering then that should be easy the backing track will follow the chords so you just need to make sure that you start (I find the count in useful) when the backing track starts....as long as you follow the chord progression you'll be in time. This is a skill you need whether you use the Trio or a normal backing track.

Another tip is not to assume that the right drum track is on the appropriate style...for instance sometimes you'll find a country style strum track works better against a rock or pop track than a one of that style.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 09:20:37 pm »
Another tip is not to assume that the right drum track is on the appropriate style...for instance sometimes you'll find a country style strum track works better against a rock or pop track than a one of that style.
Yes, I agree, you really have to experiment here. I suppose they had to give the genres a name as a reference point but the names are pretty meaningless.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 01:45:03 am »
I have the Trio Band Creator, which I guess is being discontinued now, and I mostly keep  things simple. I wouldn't want anything that is more complex. Try getting your legs under you first by working with progressions or songs with one or two parts. Get good at some of those and then branch out. When the songs get complex, the fun and spontaneity go out the window for me. YMMV.   

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 08:38:14 am »
When the songs get complex, the fun and spontaneity go out the window for me.
A very good point CT. I’m getting a bit ahead of myself trying to explore the possibilities of the Trio+. I’ve already gone back to simpler progressions with fewer parts.

Also. A 63 page instruction manual is available online. Only use it when you are stuck. If you read through it all at once, it’s a bit daunting!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 11:50:48 am by sairfingers »

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 05:29:47 pm »
@sairfingers, looking forward to hearing some tracks with your new rig. Here's an acoustic A Minor Thing that I recorded a while back using the Trio.

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 10:52:02 pm »
Here's an acoustic A Minor Thing
Very good CT. Gives me something to aim for! Unfortunately my computer skills and equipment are not sufficient to record and upload stuff, so you will be spared my playing. Lol 😃

Offline Matt125

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 09:47:39 am »
Here's how I would do it.

Figure the song out first!

Lay Lady Lay

Intro        | A / C#m / |G# / Bm / |  x 2

Verse 1     | A / C#m / |G# / Bm / |  x 4       it's the same as the verse

Chorus      | E / F#m / | A /  /  /  |    x 2

Verse 2     | as above |   x 6

Chorus      | as above |   x 2

Verse ?      | as above |  x 2

Bridge        | C#m / / / | E / A / | C#m / / /  | A / / / | C#m / / / | A / / / | C#m / / / | Bm / / / | x 1

Verse   ?    | as above | x 4

Chorus      | as above | x 2

Verse        | as above |  x 4

Outro        | A / Bm / |  C#m / E A |

So you can break it up into 4 parts

Record the Intro (just the two bars) into slot 1 (this will also be used for the verse)
Record the Chorus ( the two bars) into slot 2
Record the Bridge (the full bridge)  in slot 3
Record the outro (the full outro)  in slot 4

Now hit the sequencer   1 1  1 1 1 1  2 2  1 1 1 1 1 1  2 2  1 1  3  1 1 1 1  2 2  1 1 1 1  4

And you should be able to play along.

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 02:50:49 pm »
Here's how I would do it. Figure the song out first! Lay Lady Lay.
Wow thanks Matt you’ve put a lot of time into this! I’ve been using simpler sequences and getting to know my Trio+ but you’ve encouraged me to try Lay Lady Lay again. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 05:37:57 pm »
The most annoying and frustrating thing about the Trio+ is the ease with which you can spend several hours perfecting something only to then realise you have overwritten a previous thing you spent hours perfecting. Aarrrggghhh!! Don’t let me near the kitchen knives! 🤬🤬

Update. Don’t worry, I’m now in the garden chilling with a beer!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 06:01:35 pm by sairfingers »

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 08:20:21 pm »
Siarfingers I'm sure you already know but there is a windows app that allows you to save off the songs you've created. I know it doesn't stop you over writing but if you've absolutely got something as you want it then id save it that way

Get The Forum As A Mobile App